Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2004, 09:22 AM
ctnyc ctnyc is offline
Registered User
Location: nyc
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: x5 4.4; 325i
Auxiliary Audio Input in Glove compartment

Does anyone know if the auxiliary audio input (for mp3 player) in the glove compartment is standard on the 2004 X5 or if it is an added accesory? If it is an added accersory, does anyone know about pricing? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-30-2004, 05:50 PM
beware_phog's Avatar
beware_phog beware_phog is offline
Jayhawk Fan
Location: Lawrence
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,013
Mein Auto: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnyc
Does anyone know if the auxiliary audio input (for mp3 player) in the glove compartment is standard on the 2004 X5 or if it is an added accesory? If it is an added accersory, does anyone know about pricing? Thanks.
I believe that it is not standard and you have to buy piece and have it installed. If you do a search on iPod you'll see links primarily for installs on E46. I'm thinking it wouldn't be much different on the X5. Of course, I could be completely wrong as well.
__________________
***
Current : 2014 435 M Sport (ED);
Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2004, 08:40 PM
zilber zilber is offline
Registered User
Location: Pensacola, FL
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 04 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnyc
Does anyone know if the auxiliary audio input (for mp3 player) in the glove compartment is standard on the 2004 X5 or if it is an added accesory? If it is an added accersory, does anyone know about pricing? Thanks.
You have to install it yourself. Here are the part numbers:
With Nav System: 82110149391
Without Navy System: 82110149390

I found it on www.circlebmw.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2004, 05:49 PM
ctnyc ctnyc is offline
Registered User
Location: nyc
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: x5 4.4; 325i
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2005, 10:44 PM
dcdomain dcdomain is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0
From what I've read I need the following parts:

BMW Aux Power Adapter (82110004073) ~$9
BMW Aux Input (82110149391) ~$37

Mini to mini cable (Radio Shack) ~$5
Belkin auto kit (eBay)
ProClip Setup (bracket & holder) undecided

I'd like to do this myself to save some cash, are there any instructions online? I found this: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/u...stallation.pdf is that the instruction set everyone is using to install this on their own? I guess I need an installation manual for the power adapter too, though I guess it would be much simpler than the aux input install.

What type of tools should I have on hand? Thanks in advance!
__________________
"What I had, I gave today. What I saved, I lost forever."

Last edited by dcdomain; 01-10-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Rangerfan Rangerfan is offline
Keyser Souze lives!
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 254
Mein Auto: '13 E70 35i MSport
Install was simple. Took under an hour. The instructions that come with the Aux are simple to follow. There might even be some tips at X5World.

If I remember correctly, you need a torx driver and a drill. Some lighting would be helpful--flashlights and/or lantens. I think I used a wire snake to make feeding the wire into the glove compartment area a bit easier. If you have the Nav, when you go to pop off the bezel surrounding the unit, pop a cassette 1/2 way into the cassette slot to keep the nav screen opened while you work.

I was able to manange the install without completely removing the glove box--I couldn't figure out how to get the thing out.

Finally, the power adapter just plugs into the flashlight power slot as if it were any other cig lighter charger. No install is necessary for it.

Good luck.
__________________
-----
The Weekender
-'07 Mini Cab S, Laser Blue, black top, 6sp, endless motoring fun
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Quicksilver's Avatar
Quicksilver Quicksilver is offline
ggcbmwcca.org Member
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan
Install was simple. Took under an hour. The instructions that come with the Aux are simple to follow. There might even be some tips at X5World.

If I remember correctly, you need a torx driver and a drill. Some lighting would be helpful--flashlights and/or lantens. I think I used a wire snake to make feeding the wire into the glove compartment area a bit easier. If you have the Nav, when you go to pop off the bezel surrounding the unit, pop a cassette 1/2 way into the cassette slot to keep the nav screen opened while you work.

I was able to manange the install without completely removing the glove box--I couldn't figure out how to get the thing out.

Finally, the power adapter just plugs into the flashlight power slot as if it were any other cig lighter charger. No install is necessary for it.

Good luck.
Just to clarify this install. You installed an aux input for the iPod in a X5 4.4 with Nav correct ? Do you have premium sound? Where did you plug in the iPod? Do you have a CD changer?

I"m asking this because BMW and almost all the information I have seen states that
an aux install for the iPod in an X5's with Nav. Is not possible. Or maybe they ment that
if you have premiun sound and dsp you cant do the install. What am I missing??
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Rangerfan Rangerfan is offline
Keyser Souze lives!
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 254
Mein Auto: '13 E70 35i MSport
My iPod install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Just to clarify this install. You installed an aux input for the iPod in a X5 4.4 with Nav correct ? Do you have premium sound? Where did you plug in the iPod? Do you have a CD changer?

I"m asking this because BMW and almost all the information I have seen states that
an aux install for the iPod in an X5's with Nav. Is not possible. Or maybe they ment that
if you have premiun sound and dsp you cant do the install. What am I missing??
I have a 2004 4.4 with NAV and DSP and I personally installed the AUX input in the glove, a CD Changer, and Sirius in the trunk.

I use the Belkin auto adapter to plug in the iPod in the glove using the flashlight power adapter. I can leave the iPod in the glove or mount it on the vent if i want to see the songs and easily control what is playing. I have an RF remote that works in the glove if you want to use a remote to change the tracks. The steering wheel volume controls DO work for the AUX, and the 1-6 presets on the Nav unit adjust the AUX input gain.
__________________
-----
The Weekender
-'07 Mini Cab S, Laser Blue, black top, 6sp, endless motoring fun
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Quicksilver's Avatar
Quicksilver Quicksilver is offline
ggcbmwcca.org Member
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan
I have a 2004 4.4 with NAV and DSP and I personally installed the AUX input in the glove, a CD Changer, and Sirius in the trunk.

I use the Belkin auto adapter to plug in the iPod in the glove using the flashlight power adapter. I can leave the iPod in the glove or mount it on the vent if i want to see the songs and easily control what is playing. I have an RF remote that works in the glove if you want to use a remote to change the tracks. The steering wheel volume controls DO work for the AUX, and the 1-6 presets on the Nav unit adjust the AUX input gain.
I see. So this is not the (iPodyourBMW) kit from BMW. You just bought the parts and went for it.

Thanks

Last edited by Quicksilver; 01-10-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Rangerfan Rangerfan is offline
Keyser Souze lives!
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 254
Mein Auto: '13 E70 35i MSport
iPodYourBMW is NOT the AUX input. Different stuff. Different parts. End of story.
__________________
-----
The Weekender
-'07 Mini Cab S, Laser Blue, black top, 6sp, endless motoring fun
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 PM
dcdomain dcdomain is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0
Thanks Rangerfan, could you tell me a bit more about the remote you used to control the tracks for the iPod? I came across this recently released one from Griffin: http://engadget.com/entry/1234000520026578/

In addition, do you know what size torx driver you used? I'm hoping I have a set somewhere in the house, if not I'm going to have to go out and purchase one.

The drill was used to drill a hole to pass the cable through into the glove box right? I'm actually going over to the dealership now to get the two parts I need, so I'm guessing the instructions will cover that. I don't know how my friend is going to feel about me drilling a hole in her car...
__________________
"What I had, I gave today. What I saved, I lost forever."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Rangerfan Rangerfan is offline
Keyser Souze lives!
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 254
Mein Auto: '13 E70 35i MSport
You are drilling a small hole in the inside of the glove compartment. No one will ever know it is there!! You attach the working end of the AUX into the hole in the glove, and plug the iPod into it!

I think it was a Torx 7. Could have been a T10.

The remote is the RemoteRemote2 from Engineered Audio.

I velcroed the remote fob right next to the gear shift and it makes changing tracks a snap. And when you turn off the car, the iPod pauses. A neat feature indeed!
__________________
-----
The Weekender
-'07 Mini Cab S, Laser Blue, black top, 6sp, endless motoring fun
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2005, 12:21 AM
dcdomain dcdomain is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0
Crud, for anyone doing this, make sure you have a long thin Torx driver. I had one of those bulky screwdrivers that you can attach various ends into, couldn't fit between the bezel. $*)!@*$)$* hehehe, gonna have to buy a stand alone torx driver tomorrow. Hate these little problems that pop up.

Oh yeah, also found instructions for the glove box removal:
Quote:
Remove the glove box. Open the glove box and remove the 4 horizontal screws that go across the top of the glove box opening. Next remove the pin that holds the plunger on the left side. Next gently press in on the stopper on the right side of the glove box to allow it to drop to a lower position so that you can remove the vertical screws that are on each side of the glove box opening (one on each side). Carefully remove the glove box from the opening. Once it it free, disconnect the wire to the flashlight and the wire to the glove box light and set the glove box aside.
__________________
"What I had, I gave today. What I saved, I lost forever."

Last edited by dcdomain; 01-22-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2005, 07:44 PM
andrewayre andrewayre is offline
Registered User
Location: Oakland, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2012 X5
It's a torx 8, but how do I pull the radio out? I am hoping to connect the aux input without removing the glove box (I'm running it to the center console), but couldn't figure out a straightforward way to pull the head unit out. 2003 X5, Business CD.

Thanks!

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdomain
Crud, for anyone doing this, make sure you have a long thin Torx driver. I had one of those bulky screwdrivers that you can attach various ends into, couldn't fit between the bezel. $*)!@*$)$* hehehe, gonna have to buy a stand alone torx driver tomorrow. Hate these little problems that pop up.

Oh yeah, also found instructions for the glove box removal:
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-29-2005, 09:34 PM
dcdomain dcdomain is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0
Wow it took me almost three hours to get this thing installed. I kept having to pause and run into the house for various tools I needed. Honestly it's not that hard of an install, I think if I didn't take so many breaks it would've taken 1.5 hours at most.

Here's a link to instructions on how to remove your radio head unit:
http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/u...images/mid.jpg
__________________
"What I had, I gave today. What I saved, I lost forever."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-30-2005, 09:32 AM
andrewayre andrewayre is offline
Registered User
Location: Oakland, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Yup, took me about three hours too. I modded the mod a bit and ran the aux input thru the center console up into the top of the armrest where the phone can go. Also, found another posting with the pin outs for the switched power for the phone

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...51&postcount=12

and added a standard radioshack 12V power outlet.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=270-1556

I bought the Belkin auto dock adapter which includes an audio out (with volume control for those who've had input level issues).

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

Also, because the adapter has the audio out incorporated into the base, I only have to have one cord running to the base of the Ipod. I store it out of site in the center console and pull it out and rest it on the sliding cup holder tray when I'm in the car. I'm pretty happy with a very clean and convenient Aux in and switched power for my Ipod.

Andrew



Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdomain
Wow it took me almost three hours to get this thing installed. I kept having to pause and run into the house for various tools I needed. Honestly it's not that hard of an install, I think if I didn't take so many breaks it would've taken 1.5 hours at most.

Here's a link to instructions on how to remove your radio head unit:
http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/u...images/mid.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
jay72 jay72 is offline
Registered User
Location: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0d 2004
X5 radio removal

Guys,

I have tried all these links but appear to be dead. Can you post a new link as I also want to add the Aux cable for my ipod in X5 2004

Cheers ALL
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 PM
dbixler dbixler is offline
Registered User
Location: Lockwood, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4.4I
02 X5 Aux not compatible with factory stereo

The factory stereo doesnt work with the Aux cable. Had my 02 X5 in the dealer shop for hours for them to figure it out. By pressing the mode it should switch between FM, CD, and Aux. Aux wasn't showing. I apparently need a different stereo to be compatible. Was quoted $540 for new one including install with the Aux cable.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms