Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Should I buy BMW Extended Vehicle Protection (Powertrain Plus)?

I have 2007 X5 with 58000 mileages. Just last month, the check engine light was on. Dealer replaced DMTL pump and other things. It’s around $1000. Now I am wondering if I should buy this kind of Protection. The price for 3/36000 is $3640. How do you think? Thanks!

Here are the details of coverage:

Powertrain Plus covers the major components on your vehicle and offers protection against many major mechanical breakdowns.

Engine:
Cylinder head(s) and cylinder block. All internally lubricated parts including: pistons, piston rings and pins; crankshaft, main and connecting rod bearings; connecting rods; camshaft and bearings; timing chains and/or belts; sprockets; rocker arms and shafts; valves, valve springs, upper spring plates (retainers); valve collets, guides, and seats; hydraulic valve clearance compensators (lifters); oil pump assembly. Dipstick assembly; vibration damper; flywheel/ring gear; upper and lower timing case covers; intake and exhaust manifolds; engine mounts; valve cover(s); oil pan.

Automatic/Standard Transmission including Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) and Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT):
Transmission case, torque converter, all internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission case including: all sprockets, shaft bearings, bushings, drums, pumps and valves. Transmission mount; flywheel; drive plate for torque converter. Coverage is not afforded for standard/SMG/DCT transmission clutch assemblies, which are subject to wear and tear.

Final Drive Assembly, Propeller Shaft(s):
Final drive housing; all internally lubricated parts contained within the final drive housing including: all sprockets, bearings and output shafts; CV joints; universal joints; front and rear hub assembly, hub bearings; propeller shafts.

Transfer case (xDrive vehicles only):
Transfer case, all internally lubricated parts contained within the transfer case including: all sprockets, shaft bearings, bushings, drums, pumps and valves. Transfer case mounts.

Electrical:
Alternator/generator; voltage regulator; starter motor, starter solenoid; engine control module; engine and transmission control modules.

Cooling System:
Water pump; radiator; fan clutch; coolant recovery tank; additional fan motor.

Fuel System:
Fuel injectors; Piezo injectors; fuel pumps (including high-pressure pump); metal and plastic lines and fittings; fuel injection and air flow sensors.

Induction System:
Turbocharger assemblies (vehicles so equipped).

SCR (Selected Catalyst Reduction) emission control system (Diesel Models Only):
Transfer pump, dosing module.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Read the whole warranty. I am pretty sure it would have excluded your emissions components.

I also do not think you can buy the warranty now that the car is out of the 4/50k warranty, no?

And WHY do you use a dealership for paid service????
Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
Aren't most emission components warranted for 8 years 80-100k miles anyway as per federal law?

I also thought you couldn't extend the warranty once past 50k miles.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Unfortunately, some of these warranties do not cover the more common repairs, e.g., gaskets. Do you know if it would cover a leaky head gasket? And what about damage caused by a failure of one of the covered components, e.g., if the water pump fails, causing an engine overheat and head gasket failure, would the head gasket be covered?

An interesting comparison would be trading it in on a new vehicle with a 50k 4 yr complete warranty, and using the $3640 to pay part of the cost difference.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post
Aren't most emission components warranted for 8 years 80-100k miles anyway as per federal law?
There is a lot of confusuin on this.

There is a federal law that requires the MANUFACTURER to offer a 8/80 warranty on a FEW listed components. The MFG has to list these specific parts. Cats and computer
is the list for the 2010 X5. (Note there is a much bigger list of components covered under the 2yr/24k warranty, btw)

Then there is a 7 yr/70k for cars in California. HEre are the parts covered for a 2010 diesel X5.
Charge Air Cooler •
Connection Pipe (Compressor Bypass) •
Connection Pipe (Compressor Outlet) •
Cylinder Head Cover Gasket Set •
Delivery Unit w/ In-Tank Fuel Pump •
Diesel Particulate Filter •
Engine Control Module •
Exhaust Cooler For EGR •
Exhaust Manifold •
Exhaust Manifold Gasket •
Exhaust Gasket, Turbo To Exhaust Manifold •
High Pressure Fuel Pipe (Rail-To-Injector) •
High Pressure Fuel Pump •
High Pressure Fuel Rail (Accumulator) •
High Pressure Fuel Regulating Valve •
Injection Valve (Fuel Injector) •
Intake Manifold w/ Flap Control •
NOx Sensor •
SCR Catalyst •
SCR Filler Tube •
SCR Pump Unit •
SCR Reagent Reservoir •
Thermostat •
Throttle Body •
Torque Converter •
Transmission Control Module •
Turbocharger •
Vacuum Pump

The CA warranty is surprising, no?

The OP might check HIS warranty statement to make sure the dealer didn't charge him for parts that might have been covered.

Again there are warranties for "any emissions failure" but these are well within the BMW warranty.

A
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
No
Get a new car instead in 4 years
Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 AM

There is Extended Vehicle Plan (please see attachment).

You guys don’t use a dealership to fix the problem? At that time, I didn’t know what’s wrong when I saw the check engine light was on. Here is a small town. I am not sure other places can fix it.

It looks like I don’t need buy it. Thanks for your reply!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Extended Vehicle Plan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW EVP AND CATEGORIES.pdf (174.5 KB, 355 views)
Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIS View Post
There is Extended Vehicle Plan (please see attachment).

You guys don’t use a dealership to fix the problem? At that time, I didn’t know what’s wrong when I saw the check engine light was on. Here is a small town. I am not sure other places can fix it.

It looks like I don’t need buy it. Thanks for your reply!
I do my own non-warranty work.

You should try and find a good independent BMW shop. Ask around, look for referrals, etc. Do it NOW and not when you need it urgently.

I now do seem to recall BMW will sell the base plan if you are out of warranty.

The basic warranty will not cover 90% of the things that will most likely go wrong: sensors, gaskets, hoses, leaks, electronics, actuators, etc, etc... AND since you will have the BMW warranty you will then be forced to go to the BMW dealer...and they will shake their head and say "So sorry, not covered by the warranty".

Take that $3600 and set it aside in case something bad happens...otherwise, find a good shop.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:33 AM

Thank you, ard!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I do my own non-warranty work.

You should try and find a good independent BMW shop. Ask around, look for referrals, etc. Do it NOW and not when you need it urgently.

I now do seem to recall BMW will sell the base plan if you are out of warranty.

The basic warranty will not cover 90% of the things that will most likely go wrong: sensors, gaskets, hoses, leaks, electronics, actuators, etc, etc... AND since you will have the BMW warranty you will then be forced to go to the BMW dealer...and they will shake their head and say "So sorry, not covered by the warranty".

Take that $3600 and set it aside in case something bad happens...otherwise, find a good shop.
I agree. I have a 2008 335i convertible with 17k miles. The factory warranty has expired, and I'm not getting the powertrain + warranty. Whats the point if most of the components are not covered. Save the money for repairs at a decent repair shop (No dealers).