Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-17-2011, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540 I
help deciding pls

Ok so i have been reading the posts on installing NOS and am seriously considering it. probably a 75 shot. now my car has 112000 miles on it and it is the 540i sport auto. what i would like to know is with this type of milage is it safe to add NOS? Should i do any type of testing, compression, etc before the install? would i need to upgrade my transmission programing to reap the full benifits or will it work just fine? thanks for the help.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 AM
my first bmw

Mein Auto: e39
a 4.4 liter is not enough for you?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 e39 525i sport (uk)
go with the trend here in trinidad and turbo it

2003 525i sport uk import .see pic ^
1997 300 Tdi Landrover Defender
Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Is this a troll we're responding to?

Here's a guy, with five previous posts in as many months, asking whether it's "safe" to inject nitrous oxide (i.e., N2O) in his bimmer in order to increase (mostly) torque (and less so, power).

For this highly technical subject, he provides absolutely no (realistic) technical details; he outlines nothing about experience level; and he even mis-uses the abbreviation NOS which, specifically, stands for a subsidiary (Nitrous Oxide Systems) of a bankrupt company (i.e., Holley Performance Products).

Looking at his previous (five) posts in three threads to ascertain what his experience level is (and, more importantly, whether he's worth expending your valuable effort upon):
- Show off your E39 post pics!!!
- what is the best scan tool for
- Newbie lookin for a supplier

We find ... here's a guy, who can barely write an English sentence (intimating, I would wager a guess, a fifth-grade educational level), who asks something as mundane as where to get the most basic of scanners, who now wants to inject N2O into his engine?

Likewise, the record shows, this guy says he's a "Newbie" when he asked us for suppliers for a BMW mirror... and now ... we're supposed to entrust him with our highly technical assessment of his proposed N20-injected fuel system?

Similarly, his decade-old car, which he says is totally "stock", is now going to get its very first modification ... something as simple as a N20-injected fuel system (which, I'm sure, is the one modification we all think of when we want to give our otherwise-stock bimmer a fresh look).

I could go on ... but I question what the time is worth for those who respond (including me) ... as it is all likely wasted (IMHO) for the sheer mirth and merriment of the OP.

Last edited by bluebee; 02-17-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Is it ever safe to put NOS in a car? This isn't "The Fast and the Furious", kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Blue bee, obviously you feel you know me? I on the other hand dont know you.
But your response to a simple question speaks volumes on your personality and character.
I was under the impression that the board was for posting questions regardless of "technical subject, technical details, experience level or even mis-use of abbreviation"?
Your lack of manners and superior attitude shows where your head is at, I humbly suggest you pull it out and see the light.
Unfortunately humility and manners are not taught in schools no matter the level.
These things can only be taught by example in the home one grows up in and sadly your past and present must surely be deficient in these areas.
Perhaps that is why you are unemployed.

Last edited by tfm34; 02-17-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
tfm 34:
Lighten up! BlueBee's response may may been a little over the top but you are way out of line. We all get a little cranky sometimes in our postings. However, dropping personal slams is just not acceptable. If you took the time to review BB's extensive postings, you would realize that she is a valued contributor to this forum. She has expended signficant time and effort to make ownership of our e39s a little better and easier. On the other hand, I don't see you adding much value here (to date). Who knows, you too, in time, may become a valued contributor. I certainly hope so as we can always use more help. However, before you get too personal and bite back, I suggest you just roll with any criticisms as they are not intended to be personal slams. If you can't, find another forum.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
tfm 34:
Lighten up! BlueBee's response may may been a little over the top but you are way out of line. We all get a little cranky sometimes in our postings. However, dropping personal slams is just not acceptable. If you took the time to review BB's extensive postings, you would realize that she is a valued contributor to this forum. She has expended signficant time and effort to make ownership of our e39s a little better and easier. On the other hand, I don't see you adding much value here (to date). Who knows, you too, in time, may become a valued contributor. I certainly hope so as we can always use more help. However, before you get too personal and bite back, I suggest you just roll with any criticisms as they are not intended to be personal slams. If you can't, find another forum.
Sorry if I offended anyone. Maybe I also was a "little over the top and cranky".
But for someone who lists in their public profile under Interests “I like learning and helping others. My best strength is my ability to listen but my huge weakness is I have tremendous trouble making decisions when I don't know which way to go.”
The reply to my question is out of order, disrespectful and in direct opposition to the profile. Valued contributor or not she should learn respect others or expect to get "slamed".
Nevertheless I humbly and sincerely regret offending anyone, Bluebee included.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 PM

You will find that BlueBee is a very respected member around here and her opinions, posts, and links carry a lot of weight. She has little patience for broken English and/or piss-poor grammar. Typing like some high school dropout (ur vs your - two more letters!) will not earn any respect around here; rather it will draw criticism and possibly cause people to ignore your questions.

Lots of people here have questions about their cars. While few here are experts, we all chime in and try to contribute what we can. Sometimes we're right, sometimes not, but we all attempt to help each other.

She (like many others around here), are takers (ask questions) and givers (provide insight, help, ideas, etc.). Therefore it is possibly aggravating for some members to see people who come here only to have their questions and needs answered without "chipping in."

Sorry if you are feeling attacked, but please realize you response to BlueBee was borderline unacceptable. She works hard to help ANYONE in need with mountains of graphs, tables, charts, links, comparisons and reviews. She may have been quick to jump the gun as well.

Let's just move on and focus on your original question.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfm34 View Post
Sorry if I offended anyone. Maybe I also was a "little over the top and cranky".
But for someone who lists in their public profile under Interests “I like learning and helping others. My best strength is my ability to listen but my huge weakness is I have tremendous trouble making decisions when I don't know which way to go.”
The reply to my question is out of order, disrespectful and in direct opposition to the profile. Valued contributor or not she should learn respect others or expect to get "slamed".
Nevertheless I humbly and sincerely regret offending anyone, Bluebee included.
There we go, on the path to forgiveness.

Forgive and forget; move on.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Black Beastie

Send a message via AIM to mancho Send a message via Skype™ to mancho
Mein Auto: 2008 550i DINAN
I agree w bluebee... but how odd now your entire response has been. I think its mods seeding their forums when I read those type of posts and kinda ignore then.

Why was prior language so prior and quite frankly odd its well formed now? ...

Usually when you participate in a forum try weighing in opinions on other posts and get involved some. Heck go post yah dang goofy word association and laugh w others or give a thumbs up on good diy proud posters.

Don't expect this is your one stop get answers place. Dealer has plenty so does an indy so get their opinions on your "NOS" ideas and post them so you help us ...we help you. Isn't that how it works ? Even if we chuckle we are much more likely to weigh in w something that has a hair of credibility ...or just expect to get blasted or pegged as a troll.

Sit down have a damn beer and pretend this isn't a drive thru on the al gore super highway.

Cheers! And happy posting! !

1980 320i | 1989 735il | 1995 740il | 2001 740il | Current 2008 550i - No Texas comfort, all brutal HP
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Blue, but grumpy?

Just say no to drugs. Want a more powerful car? There's 8 series and AMG and M for that.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos and lack of links.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 PM

I humbly and publicly apologize to the OP if I have hurt your feelings or misrepresented any facts.

I thank any who vouched for me and regret that there was any need to do so; and I hope my record speaks for itself (just as the OPs record speaks for itself).

In fact, I'm heartened to see that the OP "cleaned up his act" a bit by posting what appears to be a rational and coherent argument after the initial post.

Let me explain my line of thought (a peek inside my mind, if you will).

Here's a repeat of what I said, only in much more honest terms:
  • What is your point?
  • The title should be a sentence summarizing the issue.
Details:
My fist (gut) reaction to your title is, "hey, the topic is wholly unmatched to the title!"

That is one (of many) flags that are set in my brain as I read your post. I suggest, next time, you start with a better title. Sentences are always good. Sentences about the topic are even better.

Since I practice what I preach, here's what I suggest is a better title (using your own words):
Title: "Is it safe to add NOS to a 10-year old 540 & what tests should I run beforehand?"
Note: Personally that's not the title I'd use but I need to use your words.

BTW, see if I practice what I preach. See my titles, for example. Almost all my titles are keyword-rich descriptive complete sentences (I do that because I wish to be taken seriously).
  • Are you worth expending considerable effort upon?
  • Everything you post becomes part of your curriculum vitae.
Details:
What you post is who you are. Period. You're not somebody else (to us). You are exactly what you appear to be (to us).
Note: This applies to me also. I am who I appear to be (to you).

The question always is whether to ignore a post or respond to that post. It's always a question of value extracted for value expended.

Prior to this thread, you had five prior posts to your name, none of which led me to believe that you had or have the skills to adequately assess putting a nitrous-oxide fuel-injection system into your 540.

Maybe you have such skills. But there is absolutely nothing in your record that led me to believe that you have the necessary skills to even consider the question at hand.

May I remind you that you needed help in finding a scanner, a mirror, and you've never actually done a single mod to this vehicle.

My point is that it seemed wholly incongruous to me for you to jump from that "newbie" level, to then you considering adding a nitrous-oxide fuel-injection system to your V8 engine. It's just way too wide a chasm to jump across. (Am I wrong?)

To be blunt, in addition, your written word immediately led me to believe that you are not well educated (making the chasm even wider). I base this assessment on the fact that intelligent people have, at the very least, the ability to form complete sentences.

All this evidence (piling up) increasingly led me to question whether it was worth the effort of anyone to provide you with seriously detailed technical replies. BTW, am I wrong?
NOTE: I practice what I preach. My replies are usually seriously detailed!
  • What prior research have you performed?
  • You give absolutely no references.
Details:
You say you've been "reading the posts on installing NOS" but you don't mention a single post.

My first thought is, well he didn't read "any" posts - he's just saying that. And, if you did, my thought process goes, then why didn't he post to THOSE posts that already talk about installing NOS?

My next thought is, but ... um ... hey, I didn't see those NOS threads in the E39 forums - what's he talking about?

My subsequent thought is, if I had read a bunch of posts about a certain subject, I'd certainly summarize what I found out in those posts and I'd provide a link to those posts (I do this all the time).

Would you kindly list for us a few of those posts that you read?
  • Then comes your very first technical question
  • Is it safe to add NOS?
Details:
OK. I'm telling this to you straight. And blunt. Even so, you do not want me to use my vocabulary to inform you what I think of that fundamental query in short form.

What does "Is it safe to add NOS?"mean?

Safe for what? For the ozone layer? For the law? For the engine? The sentence is the first leading us off into oblivion.
  • Now the very related question.
  • Should I do any testing before the install?
Details:
On the face of it, this is a reasonable question. Or, rather, this appears to be a reasonable question. I say it that way because it's the very first datapoint that actually makes any sense.

It's not at all the first question I'd ask if I were to consider implementing a NOS fuel-injection system, but it appears to be a reasonable question (amongst wholly unreasonable circumstances).
  • Now the very related question.
  • Should I reprogram my transmission?
Details:
Again, on the face of it, this might be another reasonable question. But, I can't get out of my mind the guy who is asking this question also asked how to find a mirror and how to find a basic scanner.

Also, the guy who asked this question has never done a single modification to his decade-old 540.

So, unfortunately, I see two perhaps reasonable questions floating in a sea of doubt.

As I said, I humbly and publicly apologize if I have hurt your feelings or, more importantly, if I misread any facts.

I think you have partially redeemed yourself with your intelligent replies subsequent to the original post.

And, I anxiously await the list of references you read from which you based your initial statements upon. For my part, I'll read every one you post.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:30 AM

Reply to Bluebee

A very long winded post to eventually say you are "sorry".
You seem to continue to have issues.
Unfortunately for you I dont and will be unable to feed your obvious need for justification.
Have a good day and get on with your life.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfm34 View Post
I dont and will be unable to feed your obvious need for justification
You are welcome to attack my motives.

All I'm asking from you is what I would ask from everyone else (and what they would ask of me).

If you've really done all this upfront research on N2O, then simply post what you've read and why you feel you need to ask "is it safe?".

I, for my part, will read all that you post and discuss it intelligently with you.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 AM
wannabe DIY'er

Mein Auto: '98 BMW 540iA (born 9/97)
wow, this is a weird thread..... pretty juvenile responses so far, imo.

OP, I suggest you ask folks at places that sell automobile NOS products about your questions. The e39 forums are typically populated by enthusiasts who would not consider NOS, me included. For a powerful mod, I would consider forced induction (supercharger) but that is very expensive and would also require brake and suspension mods also. There are probably other cars out there better suited for a NOS mod, but I'm sure some folks have done this with a 540 in the past. If you do go the NOS route, I would suggest brake upgrade also since you will have a heavy and fast torpedo that the stock brakes were not meant to deal with.
My gut feeling is that it is NOT safe to use NOS with this car if you want to keep the car going for an extended period of time. I don't know much about NOS but I believe it is very hard on the engine and will probably eat it alive quickly...... just my thoughts.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525I
TFM34: Adding a N2O system to your car will provide you a temporary horse power gain, but it is something that needs to be thoroughly researched before doing it. There are a few things to taken into consideration before purchasing a kit. Do you want direct port, wet or dry, electronic or manual bottle opener, bottle warmer, throttle switch or button activation, fuel pressure regulator, how many degrees to retard the timing, etc. Besides all of that, what do you want to achieve?

Check out these websites and submit an inquiry to one or all of these companies for accurate advice.
NitrousExpress.com
Zex.com
Edelbrock.com
Holley.com
Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Black Beastie

Send a message via AIM to mancho Send a message via Skype™ to mancho
Mein Auto: 2008 550i DINAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98540iA View Post
wow, this is a weird thread..... pretty juvenile responses so far, imo.
Good luck!
Disagree w that. Why waste time w this mod, unless your racing, it makes much more sense to just to just buy a higher hp car. But whatever.

1980 320i | 1989 735il | 1995 740il | 2001 740il | Current 2008 550i - No Texas comfort, all brutal HP
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Im not a big fan of NOS. If not installed properly it could spring a leak. Then you may have problems driving the speed limit.. limit....limit....limit , limit.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancho View Post
Disagree w that. Why waste time w this mod, unless your racing, it makes much more sense to just to just buy a higher hp car. But whatever.
I think it's time for us to realize that used BMW's have gotten down to a price level that people can afford to buy them just so they can screw around with them, whether that means performance or cosmetic mods. This is no different than what the original hot rodders did to all sorts of vehicles back in the day––Lincolns, Cadillacs, you name it. Clearly, some of the recently initiated BMW owners have different priorities than the preponderance of those who bought them new or as CPO's.

For that reason, flaming the OP's ability to figure out what makes sense doesn't really accomplish anything.

Of course, having said all that, as a new 540 owner myself, I think he's freakin' nuts.

But, that's his business, and we can decide whether we want to help him or ignore him, but at least he's asking questions and trying to learn (I think).

Last edited by bobdmac; 02-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
I think it's time for us to realize that used BMW's have gotten down to a price level that people can afford to buy them just so they can screw around with them, whether that means performance or cosmetic mods. This is no different than what the original hot rodders did to all sorts of vehicles back in the day––Lincolns, Cadillacs, you name it. Clearly, some of the recently initiated BMW owners have different priorities than the preponderance of those who bought them new or as CPO's.

For that reason, flaming the OP's ability to figure out what makes sense doesn't really accomplish anything.

Of course, having said all that, as a new 540 owner myself, I think he's freakin' nuts.

But, that's his business, and we can decide whether we want to help him or ignore him, but at least he's asking questions and trying to learn (I think).
+1 Unforunately there is no cheap way to gain hp on our bimmers. $100 for every 10hp gained I believe is the equation. I would lean towards cooling system