Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0si
Question Random shut off speaker

I started my X3 this morning but found no sound from the audio system. Radio, CD seem to function well but just no sound!
I parked car for 2 hours after driving to work, when I started the engine again, the sound is back, everything came back to normal.
It is so strange, anyone comes across this before? Is this about the battery (over 3 years old)
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 Si M
I had this issue maybe couple times a year. Again, I don't know what causes this, but it always came back after next start up. So I didn't bother too much.
I don't think it's the problem with the battery.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzolee View Post
I started my X3 this morning but found no sound from the audio system. Radio, CD seem to function well but just no sound!
I parked car for 2 hours after driving to work, when I started the engine again, the sound is back, everything came back to normal.
It is so strange, anyone comes across this before? Is this about the battery (over 3 years old)
If the head unit looked functional but no sound, my guess is the amp which is located in the left rear panel as you are facing forward from the open trunk.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
If the head unit looked functional but no sound, my guess is the amp which is located in the left rear panel as you are facing forward from the open trunk.

Hi Evlengr

I know it's an old thread, and I've replied long ago.
Now, I am facing more permanent issue - radio works but no sound come out of speaker, and it still doesn't work after restarting the car.

You mentioned about the amp at the back of the car. Is it becuase Amp has gone bad?

Is it covered by CPO warranty?

If not, what would be my best option? knowing that stock system is crap, and also will cost me much $$$ to fix, is there any alternative for me to get some sound back?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoh View Post
Hi Evlengr

I know it's an old thread, and I've replied long ago.
Now, I am facing more permanent issue - radio works but no sound come out of speaker, and it still doesn't work after restarting the car.

You mentioned about the amp at the back of the car. Is it becuase Amp has gone bad?

Is it covered by CPO warranty?

If not, what would be my best option? knowing that stock system is crap, and also will cost me much $$$ to fix, is there any alternative for me to get some sound back?

Thanks in advance
I don't know what CPO will cover, but it is cheaper to replace it with an aftermarket radio system then a stock set up.

The problem is that we aren't 100% sure the H/U is good or bad. This is important because there is two different approaches that can be used.

1. Is to simply tap (go in between the wires for the amp and H/U) with an inline processor. This gives the ability to take either line level or speaker level inputs go straight to an aftermarket amp and from that amp to your speakers.

2. Replace the H/U which I like doing but recommend you go to a professional installer and have done (depending on price). A good installer will have a portfolio they are happy to show off and can give references aplenty.

If your vehicle is 2006 or older I would just go the new H/U. Apline and Kenwood make some great new units. I would normally mention Pioneer Elite, but there new stuff looks like garbage. With all I like with Alpine I would lean to the new Kenwoods as they offer huge benefits such a built in bluetooth, iPod interface, and auto EQ sound. To name but a few. Crutchfield is a great reference, but I buy from sonicelectronix or pacific stereo as they are MUCH cheaper and still reputable.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I don't know what CPO will cover, but it is cheaper to replace it with an aftermarket radio system then a stock set up.

The problem is that we aren't 100% sure the H/U is good or bad. This is important because there is two different approaches that can be used.

1. Is to simply tap (go in between the wires for the amp and H/U) with an inline processor. This gives the ability to take either line level or speaker level inputs go straight to an aftermarket amp and from that amp to your speakers.

2. Replace the H/U which I like doing but recommend you go to a professional installer and have done (depending on price). A good installer will have a portfolio they are happy to show off and can give references aplenty.

If your vehicle is 2006 or older I would just go the new H/U. Apline and Kenwood make some great new units. I would normally mention Pioneer Elite, but there new stuff looks like garbage. With all I like with Alpine I would lean to the new Kenwoods as they offer huge benefits such a built in bluetooth, iPod interface, and auto EQ sound. To name but a few. Crutchfield is a great reference, but I buy from sonicelectronix or pacific stereo as they are MUCH cheaper and still reputable.
Thanks for the reply.

I am pretty noob when it comes down to any stereo or radio component. If I replace H/U, can I still use the current Amp/Sub/Speakers that I currently have? or I need to get all the components brand new?

I think one of my friend told me long before that these speakers/sub are in different specification (ohm value?) that I can't hook up straight to the aftermarket H/U.

Although, my car is 2007 mode, sound system is still subpar IMO, and I don't mind switching over to another HU.

Again, I don't have a huge budget or plan to upgrade my sound system - I just want to make it work, and if it gets better, it's a bonus.

In that note, any recommendation to amp/sub/speaker that I need to get?

Thanks in advance again!
ssoh
Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 AM

Please read the sticky at the top "Sound System Improvement, Stage One". I have given a good better best break down. And although some of the equipment has been updated (Alpine sps-400 are now sps-410) the idea is the same.

Short answer is no it is not a one for one replacement where you can swap out the H/U with an aftermarket and get audio right away.

Be prepared to spend $600-800 to replace H/U and speakers along with installer fees (depending on what they charge in your area).

Replacing the speakers are a breeze with some patience and minor tools. That is covered in the sticky.

I would start there.

I was going to do some trouble shooting pics for an earlier question, but I am a victim of the widespread power outage on the NE coast and it will have to wait.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-02-2012 at 03:15 AM.