Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
What exactly does the wheel/tire warranty cover?

I'm considering this warranty as I'm getting the Sport Activity model w/20" wheels. However, I've been told that a replacement wheel/tire will be granted ONLY when the damage is beyond repair, ie: no replacement for nicks, scratches, curb rash, bubbles, etc.. I just want some confirmation on whether this is true or fiction, from someone who's made claims under their warranties. Also, how much have you guys been quoted on the warranty and what's the time of coverage? Thanks in advance for your inputs!
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
I'm considering this warranty as I'm getting the Sport Activity model w/20" wheels. However, I've been told that a replacement wheel/tire will be granted ONLY when the damage is beyond repair, ie: no replacement for nicks, scratches, curb rash, bubbles, etc.. I just want some confirmation on whether this is true or fiction, from someone who's made claims under their warranties. Also, how much have you guys been quoted on the warranty and what's the time of coverage? Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Do you know how to read a contract????

You CANNOT expect to ask a forum what the coverage will be for a contract you are buying from who knows where!

There is no one "tire and wheel warranty" for all cars in america. There are many warranties that a BMW dealer can sell. Yes, there may be one warranty that BMW underwrites, but you didnt say that is the one you are getting (and how can you be sure?).

Finally, you'll get 20 people giving you there opinion or experience, but you AND THEY will not know what kind of warranty they had!

Read the contract. Read it and interpret it in the most 'pro company' way possible- that will be the coverage.

A

PS many contracts have 'wheel function' to be interpreted to mean "holds air"
Old 08-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
my dealer told me that bmw financial services or whatever offers it. The warranty I was quoted was $20/month and covered up to $1000 damage on any one item. After that 1k I would have to pay the difference..

ex. My mirror broke cost=$800 (they cover it)

my tire blew out cost=$1100 I pay 100 to fix it. etc etc..
I did not take it.....
Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
or whatever .
My point exactly.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:17 AM

I should have clarified, I'm referring to the warranty offered by BMW at the time of delivery. I wouldn't consider "after-mkt." warranties anyway. I was under the impression that the BMW wheel/tire warranty was pretty standard as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
my dealer told me that bmw financial services or whatever offers it. The warranty I was quoted was $20/month and covered up to $1000 damage on any one item. After that 1k I would have to pay the difference..

ex. My mirror broke cost=$800 (they cover it)

my tire blew out cost=$1100 I pay 100 to fix it. etc etc..
I did not take it.....

Not much difference between this $1K vs. a $1000 deductible on a comprehensive coverage claim. Better off applying the $20/month and upping the comprehensive deductible instead.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
I should have clarified, I'm referring to the warranty offered by BMW at the time of delivery. I wouldn't consider "after-mkt." warranties anyway. I was under the impression that the BMW wheel/tire warranty was pretty standard as well.
Your impression is wrong. The tire warranty offered at the time of delivery depends on your BMW Dealer not BMW NA. The coverage can vary from only tire/wheel failure to surface blemishes due to hitting a curb. BUt...read the policy carefully. Some specifically do not cover damage when "used off road" which leaves them a fair amount of leeway if for example, you hit a pothole while driving on an unpaved road.

Funf Dreisig
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Also, check with you auto insurer...will a broken wheel on a pothole be covered under comprehensive? (I wouldnt submit a claim that is a chargeable accident...just wondering. Might be cheaper if they have an add on policy...)

A
Old 08-27-2010, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Also, check with you auto insurer...will a broken wheel on a pothole be covered under comprehensive? (I wouldnt submit a claim that is a chargeable accident...just wondering. Might be cheaper if they have an add on policy...)

A
Some policies are a bit sneaky as well. I have seen one which purported to be a policy on all four wheels for three years, but the fine print said that after one wheel replacement, the coverage ended, essentially limiting the coverage, and the companies liability, to the cost of one tire and one wheel.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Those are excellent dealer profit center items and help pay for the trip to Cancun or wherever for the F&I guy/gal.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
I've not heard of a BMWNA wheel and tire warranty. I suspect it is being offered by a third party through your dealer.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 08-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
I've not heard of a BMWNA wheel and tire warranty. I suspect it is being offered by a third party through your dealer.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx

However many dealers sell their own, with higher margins, and people actually don't have a clue as to what they bought.

On the brochure:

Quote:
This brochure is a summary of some of the benefits available with BMW
Tire &Wheel Protection and should not be relied upon when purchasing
coverage. Please refer to the BMWTire & Wheel Protection Service
Contract Limited Agreement Application for specific coverage details.
Changes may have been made to the BMWTire & Wheel Protection
program since the printing of this brochure. All transactions related to
the BMWTire & Wheel Protection program are governed solely by the
provisions of the program agreement. See your actual agreement for
details of coverage, as well as terms, conditions and costs.
Who really demands the actual agreement? (Well, except me and Penguin. )

Last edited by ard; 08-28-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
Tire and Wheel insurance package

My dealer offered me this package. I am not sure if I plan to buy this when me 35D arrives this week. I may take this for $1k over 5 years but still have second thoughts.

"Tire and Wheel"
This is a insurance policy that covers any damage caused to your tire or wheel by any road hazard. As an example, if you just scratch your wheel on a curb while parking, or bend the wheel hitting a pothole this covers any repair or replacement if necessary. Or if you run over a nail that causes a flat, the tire gets replaced. This is nice since with run-flat tires they cannot be patched, only replaced. No mileage limitations, no limit on occurrences, and it covers towing expenses. The pricing options go from 1 to 5 years, the 5 year making the most sense at $1,499 plus tax.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpeters View Post
My dealer offered me this package. I am not sure if I plan to buy this when me 35D arrives this week. I may take this for $1k over 5 years but still have second thoughts.

"Tire and Wheel"
This is a insurance policy that covers any damage caused to your tire or wheel by any road hazard. As an example, if you just scratch your wheel on a curb while parking, or bend the wheel hitting a pothole this covers any repair or replacement if necessary. Or if you run over a nail that causes a flat, the tire gets replaced. This is nice since with run-flat tires they cannot be patched, only replaced. No mileage limitations, no limit on occurrences, and it covers towing expenses. The pricing options go from 1 to 5 years, the 5 year making the most sense at $1,499 plus tax.

Ask to see the actual paperwork with the fine print to see what limitations are put onto the number of repairs, etc.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpeters View Post
This is nice since with run-flat tires they cannot be patched, only replaced. .
1. Not true. (But yes, BMW dealers repeat this.)

2. I am pretty sure the policy requires the wheel to not function: so not hold air, vibrate, etc.

3. You can buy tire hazard insurance from Discount Tire (or others) for $140. Covers the life of the tire. In 5 years you will change tires, what 2, 3 times? $280- 420. Plus you are not stuck with buy stupid BMW OEM tires...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Got discount tire warranty for 165.

Trying to cancel my dealer warranty - only if they would take calls or reply to my 5 voice messages. Will call BMW USA on Monday.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Why are you calling? Doesnt the written warranty state precisely what YOU MUST do to cancel? Do it, send it to them certified mail.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Why are you calling? Doesnt the written warranty state precisely what YOU MUST do to cancel? Do it, send it to them certified mail.
I went there to cancel it, they said they need some info from BMW USA to process the cancellation....total BS. Will straighten them out on Monday and give them a piece of my mind.

My X5 buying experience from start to beginning has been worse as compared to when I bought a honda accord.