Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Viv1

Mein Auto: Twin Turbo 3er
Does anyone do track days in their Z4? How much difference does it really make to the aerodynamics?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35iS
I baby mine so dearly that I can't even begin to conceive of the concept of tracking her... Maybe in a few years.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_v_rane View Post
Does anyone do track days in their Z4? How much difference does it really make to the aerodynamics?
I can't imagine much aerodynamic gain. I had my 35i up to 140 mph on the autobahn after it was broken in. It was rock stable - my wife couldn't believe we were going that fast. Regularly ran it up to 100-110 mph cruising on the bahn when the conditions permitted.

How long are you going to be on ED? What's the details of your car order?

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Vivek, you're doing an ED? I missed that, details please. I also managed 140 (while the wife was sleeping) on Das bahn..., completely effortless. On a good surface the car really shines at 100+.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Viv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
How long are you going to be on ED? What's the details of your car order?
I'm planning to go for a week in July. Should be no snow in the alpine passes around then (I hope). Can't wait to get to Stelvio Pass :P

Since I saved with a 35i instead of 35is (no manual, no car), I've pretty much loaded up with most options - blue/white with M-sport/Ivory white, premium, premium sound, cold, nav, comfort, pdc and alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
Vivek, you're doing an ED? I missed that, details please. I also managed 140 (while the wife was sleeping) on Das bahn..., completely effortless. On a good surface the car really shines at 100+.
I did my first ED on my (current) 335xi. The main frustration was the break-in period, due to which I never maxed it ("only" to 135). The x-drive totally rocked in the snow around Neuschwanstein.

How long did you guys wait before giving it the beans? The break-in period of 1200 miles is a bit much!

I'm still considering options for my ED route. Right now, I'm thinking Neuschwanstein via RR (and a couple of places around there), then Switzerland via smaller roads in the Austrian alps and then south to Nice. Of course this is very preliminary and I have no idea if I can fit it in a week. Will keep you guys posted
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Glad to hear your part of "Save the Manual" group. The car specs sound great. We were in Germany mainly for almost 3 weeks. My wife was visiting with relatives in the Eifel region for 6 days so I had plenty of time to do the recommended breakin miles, including a "cool lap" around the Nordschleife before running up over 100 mph. I pretty much babied it as the manual recommended.

The high passes will all be open in July and full of tourists. If Stelvio is on your bucket list then by all means do it. However IMO Grossglockner is a much nicer driving road/pass. Stelvio will be full of bikes, MC's and other tourists. It is mainly hairpins connected with straights - good for MC's.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM

We were extremely lucky as we had nothing but sun for our Honeymoon this past Sept. Started with the opening day of Oktoberfest (unreal experience), recovered for a day and picked up the Vehicle that monday. With the top down we immediately headed south, spent the night in Langweiss in the Swiss Alps. Got up early and headed east to drive the alpine passes of Grimsel and Furka before dropping down into Italy and lake Como for a couple days. Then down to the Amalfi coast on the Med where I parked the car for a 6 days while we sunbathed (i had to give her some concession for a guys dream honeymoon). Then we headed to Tuscany (Florence region) for a few days and then another few days in beautiful Sirmione in northern Italy. From there it was a bit of a trek back up for our drop off appt. at Harms through the Italian alps and Austria. That's where i broke the 1200 mile mark so I had some fun in the Mtns and by the time I hit the first unlimited stretch of Bahn (and the wife dozed) I gave her a little gas. Effortlessly it goes from 80 to 140, so much so that it's hard to believe you are really going that fast. At one point i passed a cop cruising maybe 130 or so and immediately started to tap the brake out of reflex but the Porsche behind me flashed his lights reminding me of where i was. What a rush...!

I agree with Herr, unless you really want to mark it off of some list you should skip Stelvio pass. These passes are meant to be driven, particularly in a Z, and it will be choked with tourists eliminating all potential. I'd highly recommend the route we went where you hit several passes, empty roads and beautiful scenery. Just google map the route from BMW Welt to Chur to Andermatt. Using Andermatt as a base there are so many amazing passes all within 20 minutes of each other it's a drivers paradise. I could have stayed there for days.

Let me know if you want pics.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Viv1

Its going to be a (slightly delayed) honeymoon for me as well, actually

I think I read about Grossglockner in the Lonely Planet Western Europe book. Looks like theres a ton of passes to try out in the alps in general, and I expect temps should be good in July for top down driving.

I've noted your suggestions (greatly appreciated... any more recommendations?) and am browsing through others' ED trips. I'll chalk out a trip - unfortunately it can only be a week long vacation (well, 9 days with both weekends) - and run it buy the 'festers in a few weeks. Need to deal with the big day first