Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330 CI
Another Possibility of a P00128

After reading the code and following the options posted on the site, I ordered a few parts for my 97K 330CI including a water pump, belts, idler, tensioner, etc. Problem is that as I got started, I the real problem. Thanks to Smolck for the Mechanical fan nut loosening technique getting access was pretty straight forward and I had all the right parts. Water pump was probably not that old, (only had the car since 89K) but at least I don't have that worry for now. Funny thing is that the car ran for about three weeks with half an idler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0536.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	267332   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0538.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	267333   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0541.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	267334  
Ads by Google
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
No User Serviceable Parts

Mein Auto: '04 545i, Schaltgetriebe
That's amazing. Not only was the pulley gone, but your belt rotted so bad, it was ready to snap in two at any moment whether the pulley was there or not. You look under the hood how often??

Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpjam View Post
Thanks to Smolck for the Mechanical fan nut loosening technique
Make sure you know about the cn90 trick for putting the fan nut back on straight without stripping the threads (ask me how I know).
- Tools necessary for a cooling system overhaul
- Cooling system overhaul tips (fan clutch nut removal tools) (cn90 fan clutch nut replacement trick) (bb hose removal trick) (o-ring replacement parts)

The reason I know how to make mistakes is I make 'em all!
- My cooling system overhaul mishaps (broken radiator nipple) (crooked fan clutch nut) (broken bleeder screw) (thermostat loom misplaced) (broken expansion tank nipple & cn90 repair) (expansion tank fell apart inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblorry View Post
Not only was the pulley gone, but your belt rotted so bad
Pretty amazing picture. Even though it's an E46, the stuff looks the same as my E39 so I think I'll add it to the E39 bestlinks for the belt drive replacement DIYs!

- Recommended parts list for a complete belt drive system overhaul (1)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
the stuff looks the same as my E39
Darn. I was gonna ask you some questions as I'm thinkin' my next car is gonna be an E39, but it looks like your car is missing two cylinders.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330 CI
I bought the car five months ago and learn/fix something new nearly every week. I have completed the following:

Valve Cover Gasket
Plugs
Pre-Cats
CABs (A particularly difficult repair when the Haus sends you two right wheel CAB housings)
Water Pump
Two Oil changes.
Belts, Pulleys, Tensioner
Vacuum hoses
Removed the Ghetto Woofer in the trunk.
Took the 19" M6 clone wheels off and put the original 17" OEMs back on.
Added a Blue tooth the the after market system.

Fuel Filter is next up. Expect to get through the other items picked up from reading the site over the next 3-6 months, but I do live in New Orleans so working on my car only happens if the hang over isn't too severe.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM

Welcome to the club. I've been fixing things regularly as well. No ghetto woofer to remove though. Smells like teen neglect to me. Good luck.