Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528xi, w/Spt, Nav, PP, CW
What's with the E60 Rear Turn Signals?

Had the CPO two weeks and the left turn signal clicks triple-time. I get a bulb symbol on the I-Drive that says left rear turn signal malfunction and sometime I get a break light malfunction.

I pulled the felt liner out and removed the bulb cluster but couldn't figure out how to get to the turn signal section I saw three torx screws and figured they probably had to be removed. I put the bulb cluster back in and the problem went away.

Is there a lamp socket or wiring harness problem these cars are known to have? Everything looked clean to me; no corrosion.

BTW, how do you get to the rear signal light section where the LED's are?
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstien View Post
Is there a lamp socket or wiring harness problem these cars are known to have?
I had the same issue before except on the opposite side. All the bulbs were good but the connector shell was burnt due to sparking and arcing on the brown and white wire terminal - very high resistance, possibly just barely making contact. The dealer replaced both the male and female connector shell and all is well again. Keep an eye on your issue. Mine started with the turn signal failure, then brake, then reverse light... they kept cycling all over. When I looked, the connector was toast and that brown/white terminal was loose (possibly bad insertion) and burnt. You would think that somethng like that would pop a fuse but never did... and all the bulbs were good.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 AM

That's exactly what's happening. I called and made an appointment. I printed out your reply to show the service department in case its new to them or if they can't duplicate the problem.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstien View Post
Had the CPO two weeks and the left turn signal clicks triple-time. I get a bulb symbol on the I-Drive that says left rear turn signal malfunction and sometime I get a break light malfunction.

I pulled the felt liner out and removed the bulb cluster but couldn't figure out how to get to the turn signal section I saw three torx screws and figured they probably had to be removed. I put the bulb cluster back in and the problem went away.

Is there a lamp socket or wiring harness problem these cars are known to have? Everything looked clean to me; no corrosion.

BTW, how do you get to the rear signal light section where the LED's are?
Wait i have a question???!!!!! When you press gently on the turn signal, is it suppose to click 3 times?? Like when your changing lanes?? I have to hold mine down or else it clicks once.. If that isn't ok I will take it to the dealer asap!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtchredTTU View Post
Wait i have a question???!!!!! When you press gently on the turn signal, is it suppose to click 3 times?? Like when your changing lanes?? I have to hold mine down or else it clicks once.. If that isn't ok I will take it to the dealer asap!
There is an option in the Idrive which allows you to turn on/off the three blink option for changing lanes. I would bet you don't have it turned on. I believe it is under the lighting section.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
Mine started with the turn signal failure, then brake, then reverse light... they kept cycling all over. When I looked, the connector was toast and that brown/white terminal was loose (possibly bad insertion) and burnt. You would think that somethng like that would pop a fuse but never did... and all the bulbs were good.
Humorous. Mine started with an Engine Malfunction.... well not really I assume, but that's what happened yesterday. Was out driving and got the Engine Malfunction... Reduced power. Bummer, really was looking forward to the Christmas road trip. Anyway, I call the dealer and let them know I'm on my way... limping. Exiting the interstate, I signal right - another chime! Right Rear turn signal malfunction... *expletive* On my way down the ramp I press the brake pedal - another chime! Right Brake Light malfunction *expletive with laugh*. Then when I get to the dealer I pull into the wrong spot, have to back up and.... Right Reverse light malfunction *laugh*.

At least it all happened on the way to the dealer. I'm driving a sweet bare bones 328i now that can't go across state lines. It's like I have another ankle bracelet.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:56 AM
U of Dawgs

Merry Christmas!

It's like I have another ankle bracelet.

Did not know what to make of that last... another one?

Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 12-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Just trying to keep my spirits up! Off we go on the road trip in the minivan
Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM

I had the same problem with my pre-owned certified two weeks after purchasing it, and three mos or so, after that. Each time they had to replace the wiring harness.

The problem is that BMW is using dissimilar metals between the male and female connectors and they corrode each other. When this happens the current has to fight to get to ground and the result of this is "heat". Similar to using aluminum wires on a wall receptacle with copper or brass terminals.

I told the SA this but for some reason the Electrical Engineers at BMW are not getting it.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
I had the same issue before except on the opposite side. All the bulbs were good but the connector shell was burnt due to sparking and arcing on the brown and white wire terminal - very high resistance, possibly just barely making contact. The dealer replaced both the male and female connector shell and all is well again. Keep an eye on your issue. Mine started with the turn signal failure, then brake, then reverse light... they kept cycling all over. When I looked, the connector was toast and that brown/white terminal was loose (possibly bad insertion) and burnt. You would think that somethng like that would pop a fuse but never did... and all the bulbs were good.

I just had this problem bite my right side. Just like you said, the harness (female) part is melted, and 2 of the leads are loose.

One of them is the "Brown" the other looks like the brown/white you allude to

No way I'm letting the dealer fix this, no telling how much they charge. I'm certain I could do this myself but I have 2 questions:

1) I saw in another thread you mentioned one of these problematic leads is the ground. Which one? Could I just break that one lead out of the harness and ground it somewhere in the trunk?

2) Am I going to have this same problem on the driver's side? Anything I can do to prevent it?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM
U of Dawgs

The brown wire; you can break it out or bypass the connector as some have done. Remember that bulb still need ground.

Nube1Kenobi

Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM

I guess you mean to say that if I remove the brown wire from the harness, to be sure I ground it, and not leave it free?

I'm kind of confused by the 2nd part "bulb needs ground" . Would grounding the brown wire separate from the harness still require I ground the bulb assembly somehow?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM
U of Dawgs

Here you go...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=22

Nube1Kenobi

Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 545, X3
Ran into a similar issue with my '04 545. I had to remove the front right headlight assembly to replace the angel eye bulb which was quite the PITA. About a day after fixed, I had the right turn signal malfunction error and the hyperactive signal inside. I had read about the bad connection so removed the headlight unit once again (pleasure) and removed both wire connections. I sprayed both (female and male ends) with electronic parts cleaner and worked them back and forth (plugging together) to work out any corrosion that might exist. After wiping the residual cleaner and letting them dry for awhile, I plugged them back together and tested it out - all working! We'll see how long it lasts but had been malfunctioning 2 days straight before.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Just had the reverse lamp bulb out error error today and hastily checked the bulb holder and harness, praying that it had not caused any damage. Bulb was fine and the bulb holder and harness were pristine on both sides. I'm assuming this is the beginning of the grounding issues, so being proactive, I'm going to install a ground wire tomorrow!

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
Just had the reverse lamp bulb out error error today and hastily checked the bulb holder and harness, praying that it had not caused any damage. Bulb was fine and the bulb holder and harness were pristine on both sides. I'm assuming this is the beginning of the grounding issues, so being proactive, I'm going to install a ground wire tomorrow!
Before you do all that, why don't you just try changing the bulb first? The bulb may have started working again when you opened up everything...

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chill View Post
Before you do all that, why don't you just try changing the bulb first? The bulb may have started working again when you opened up everything...
Changed both bulbs but didn't have a chance to drive the car to see if the errors will come back. I just don't want my harness or tail lights destroyed by this fault, so just to be on the safe side I went ahead and supplemented the ground wire. Only cost $14 and 5 minutes of my time...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Others:

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Yeah this problem seems to be on all older BMWs. I just take the bulb holder and put a thin layer of solder and it always fix it. overtime the bulb holder looses spring tension and contacts point develop oxidation, enough to create this problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
Hey Jim....It looks like your contact points for your ground are on your car's body and then to a splice into the brown ground wire .

To take the load off of the brown wire ground circuit, I think you need to rig a ground from the car body to a new ground point on the rear light fixture ( not splice a new ground to the same old brown wire).

I think that is what I see in uour pics, forgive me if my vision is distorted.

I am going to rig a supplemental ground wire from the car body to a ground point on the rear light fixture to prevent too much current from running throught the brown wire ground circuit.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Steel View Post
Hey Jim....It looks like your contact points for your ground are on your car's body and then to a splice into the brown ground wire .

To take the load off of the brown wire ground circuit, I think you need to rig a ground from the car body to a new ground point on the rear light fixture ( not splice a new ground to the same old brown wire).

I think that is what I see in uour pics, forgive me if my vision is distorted.

I am going to rig a supplemental ground wire from the car body to a ground point on the rear light fixture to prevent too much current from running throught the brown wire ground circuit.
Yes, that is the way it is connected...ground wire spliced to another wire that is grounded to the body. I was following the method that the e46 guys were using in the link above, but we don't have a ground tab on our light fixture. I was afraid attach to any of the many metal points in the bulb holder for fear of damaging something so I grounded it to the body. Something's working because I don't have anymore bulb or lamp errors...seems like its still relieving that wire of some of the current.

Others:

Last edited by jim165; 02-26-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is the way it is connected...ground wire spliced to another wire that is grounded to the body. I was following the method that the e46 guys were using in the link above, but we don't have a ground tab on our light fixture. I was afraid attach to any of the many metal points in the bulb holder for fear of damaging something so I grounded it to the body. Something's working because I don't have anymore bulb or lamp errors...seems like its still relieving that wire of some of the current.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...59&postcount=5

The proper way to hook it up is per above link's pics where the brown wire gets an extra connection point to the light fixture. Too bad if you do not have tabs on the light fixture to attach the brown ground splice to. You are gonna have to fiqure how to attach new contact point on fixture if not.

When the weather improves I'll be pulling my tailamp fixture to look for a tab on my 08 535xi Otherwise I'm gonna have to fiqure......
Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM

Would an issue like this be covered by the CPO?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Steel View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...59&postcount=5

The proper way to hook it up is per above link's pics where the brown wire gets an extra connection point to the light fixture. Too bad if you do not have tabs on the light fixture to attach the brown ground splice to. You are gonna have to fiqure how to attach new contact point on fixture if not.

When the weather improves I'll be pulling my tailamp fixture to look for a tab on my 08 535xi Otherwise I'm gonna have to fiqure......
Well, when you figure out where to attach the additional ground on the fixture, let us know I'm not randomly attaching it to any points on the light fixture and running the risk of shorting something out without knowing for sure the ground point is correct.
Your fixture is just like mine, so good luck finding that grounding tab...

Others:

Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntocamping View Post
Would an issue like this be covered by the CPO?
My SA seemed to act like it was "questionable" initially but retracted that and repaired mine with the $50 deductible.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

This is not some sort of current/amperage problem where a new wire is providing ability to carry more current. If it were a current problem the wire would show it and not a disintegration of the much more current capable metal contact spade plug.