Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 92 BMW 318is
92 bmw 318is will not idle

OK, so i have a 92 BMW 318is E36 M42. It has 191xxx miles on it and it having some problems with not wanting to idle. So far since ive bought it i have replaced the plugs, changed the order of the wires due to them being wrong when i bought it, i chagned it to 3241 order. After that it started just fine and if i held the gas down alittle ran smooth. But when i let off the gas it would stall and die. Also if i tried to keep the RPM's up higher and try to drive it, as soon as the clutch engaged it would bogg the engine down and stall it out. I took off the MAF, TB, and intake yesterday to do some inspecting and found two hoses that need to be replaced. Im going to clean the TB and intake while i have it off. A couple of days ago i took off the ICV and cleaned it. when i took the intake off i noticed there was not a gasket where the intake and manifold meet. Should there be one there? Im also going to change the oil and filter today and put those new hoses on put everything back together. I guess i need to get a gasket for the TB since i took it off. But if there is anything i may have overlooked and might want to check while i have it apart would be great. Thanks

I forgot to mention that someone cut out the Catalytic converter with a saw. bout a 1 1/2 gap in the exhaust now.
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM
nothing.

Mein Auto: who knows?
i think its your head gasket.

Last edited by Eight Thirty; 02-24-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: I didnt even read what you wrote.... be calm im just kidding.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 AM

if it was the head gasket wouldnt it be leaking oil into the cylinders or on the sides of the block. the car does not smoke
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 328is
My guess would be a vacuum leak. I had a hose on my old 93 318 that got a hole in it. The car wouldn't maintain idle and would bog and die if I put it in gear (auto).

I don't see anything in your first post that screams HG, no overheating, coolant in oil, oil in coolant, white smoke out exhaust...

Sport pkg./ADR version II wheels/H&R sport springs/Bilstein shocks/K&N CAI/OEM M3 exhaust/Shortshift
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM
nothing.

Reason for edit....

Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
Reason for edit....
In that case you should just tell people the the coupling on their flux capacitor probably went bad because bmw cheaped out and used a plastic fitting.

All E36 enthusiasts know that you should replace the plastic coupling with a upgraded metal one and that it can be purchased from ddm for $15+ shipping.

Sport pkg./ADR version II wheels/H&R sport springs/Bilstein shocks/K&N CAI/OEM M3 exhaust/Shortshift
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM

so this is my first bimmer and must ask without trying to sound like to much of a noob, what plastic coupling???
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellemus View Post
so this is my first bimmer and must ask without trying to sound like to much of a noob, what plastic coupling???
I can't tell if this is serious or sarcastic.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
nothing.

oh man.... thread of the yearrr!!!! hHhH~~ omgg

Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM

Sry but no sarcasm don't exactly know what ur talking about with the coupling
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 PM

Seriously, I would look for a vacuum leak. It already sounds like you have the intake pretty torn apart, so inspect all the hoses for leaks and replace any that look badly worn.

There should be a gasket between the intake and TB. Check out Figure 8 in this link it shows the gasket. (Its for a 6cyl but I am assuming the 4cyl is similar.)

Pelican is also a great source for any parts you need.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...e-Manifold.htm

Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM

Thanks, I tried to get the intake. Gasket today but they don't have it, so I got the kit that has different types of material to cut ur own gasket...ever use that before? Ill prolly use it for the tb gasket if I can't find one tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix it