Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323is
electrical problems? door lock, air bag sensor, seat warmer

so i've been wanting to fix all the little things in my car. i have three minor electrical problems and i was wondering if anyone knew fixes for them. i was gonna hop around a few junk yards in a week or so and get the needed parts.

1) passenger door lock.if i use the button, remote, or manual lock from the driver's side my door does not lock. the only way to lock the door is to push down the lock or lock it from the outside on the passenger side. what needs to be replaced? is it a motor or something in there? if so i would appreciate as much information as possible.

2) passenger side seat wamer. it works on low but the high option does not work anymore. coffee got spilt on it a while back and every since then it hasn't worked. is it just the switch?

3) air bag sensor light is on. i've read a little bit about this and hear it could be something in the passenger seat. what would it take to fix this?

i don't know much about any of these so if anyone has any idea could you please give me as much information as possible. thank you so much
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Here ya go:

1. Likely your locking actuator in the passenger door. Part number 67-11-1-387-726. Some have had luck with just lubricating it and getting more life out of it (me). Others have had to replace it. About $55 from Pelican Parts.

2. Coffee is particularly bad for anything electrical, particularly if it had sugar in it. I'd try the switch first.

3. You need to borrow or buy a Peake Research SRS code reader. It will scan the fault memory in the air bag controller and give you a code that will tell you what needs to be fixed to make the SRS light go away. The typical issues in E36s are the switch in the seat belt receptacle (either passenger or driver side), the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat, or the connections going to them. In any case you'll need the code reader to clear the codes and reset the SRS light once you've got the bad part replaced.

Last edited by dc_wright; 02-26-2011 at 05:04 AM.