Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Unimpressed with 535i X-Drive acceleration

I'm planning to go for a 535i with X-Drive, Sport Package, Dynamic Handling Package, and Sport Transmission. Currently I'm driving a 2008 535i sport with no X-Drive.

I test drove the non-Sport 535xi today, and the car felt quite sluggish compared to mine. Acceleration from a dead stop was just not there, even with the transmission in "sport" mode. Overall, the car felt like a big step down from my car in terms of handling.

I know that I should expect a dropoff in performance from rear-wheel drive sport to X-drive non-sport. However I am wondering how much difference is due to X-drive vs. not having the dynamic handling package.

Should I expect better acceleration, especially in sport mode, from the DHP and Sport Transmission? Or is the new X-drive (and/or F10) simply not as quick as the RWD?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:49 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post
I'm planning to go for a 535i with X-Drive, Sport Package, Dynamic Handling Package, and Sport Transmission. Currently I'm driving a 2008 535i sport with no X-Drive.

I test drove the non-Sport 535xi today, and the car felt quite sluggish compared to mine. Acceleration from a dead stop was just not there, even with the transmission in "sport" mode. Overall, the car felt like a big step down from my car in terms of handling.

I know that I should expect a dropoff in performance from rear-wheel drive sport to X-drive non-sport. However I am wondering how much difference is due to X-drive vs. not having the dynamic handling package.

Should I expect better acceleration, especially in sport mode, from the DHP and Sport Transmission? Or is the new X-drive (and/or F10) simply not as quick as the RWD?
I don't know, but, I agree with you about the difference. When they had that comparo test drive, I felt the 535 Xi in the F10 did not have the acceleration of my own car. It might have been the break-in of my engine, or it could have been the X drive, I don't know.

The 550, otoh, blew me away.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix Msport
It s not the xdrive.
RWD F10 has the same acceleration behavior.

I had the same impression as you, and drove a variety of configurations.

Test drive an F10 with Sport Automatic Transmission. i think you'll find it makes all the difference.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post

I waited for 1400 miles before I tested out my 535i X drive's acceleration. The first time I did it my wife was in the car and we were thrust back in ours seats as I floored the accelerator pedal. I haven't done it since with her in the car as she was not a happy camper. The acceleration was immediate and I passed a line of cars similar to what I do with my motorcycle when passing on a two lane country road. You just move up close, make sure you have enough open road ahead, and then pass the line of four or so slower moving cars in one pass. When I take my foot off the accelerator, as I see I am going way too fast after I pull back into the lane, I almost fall forward as the car slows down.

The X drive cars, I believe, have been shown to be faster than the rear wheel ones from 0 to 60 mph.

I love the acceleration of my car but I waited for it to break in. The 535i X drive is very fast.
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

2012 BMW R1200RT light magnesium, Sport/Touring Motorcycle
Old 02-28-2011, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
THe BMW AG website lists the 0-100 kph acceleration of the 535 x-drive at 5.9, and the i at 6.1 with the 8 speed. The 08 535i by Edmunds inside line is 5.5 mph. Accounting for the a .1 to .2 second conversion (at most) for kph, the 08 is likely a faster to 60. This acceleration may not be straight lline due to the turbo in the F10, but I'm not positive. These are just two sources for the times, but it's one indication that supports your impression.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: '11 550i
08 535i = 3700lbs, 11 535xi = 4233 lbs. With engine putting out same HP / torque, what do you think will happen?
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyj View Post
...we were thrust back in ours seats as I floored the accelerator pedal.
True, flooring the pedal and going into passing gear was pretty quick (though still not as fast as mine). In my E60 RWD when in sport mode, I get tremendous acceleration even when easing onto the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoadster View Post
...Test drive an F10 with Sport Automatic Transmission. i think you'll find it makes all the difference.
This is what I want to hear, since I am definitely getting the SAT.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyj View Post
I waited for 1400 miles before I tested out my 535i X drive's acceleration. The first time I did it my wife was in the car and we were thrust back in ours seats as I floored the accelerator pedal. I haven't done it since with her in the car as she was not a happy camper. The acceleration was immediate and I passed a line of cars similar to what I do with my motorcycle when passing on a two lane country road. You just move up close, make sure you have enough open road ahead, and then pass the line of four or so slower moving cars in one pass. When I take my foot off the accelerator, as I see I am going way too fast after I pull back into the lane, I almost fall forward as the car slows down.

The X drive cars, I believe, have been shown to be faster than the rear wheel ones from 0 to 60 mph.

I love the acceleration of my car but I waited for it to break in. The 535i X drive is very fast.
At 10,000 miles, my 535x flies. Break-in is hugely important. Drive the highest mileage demo you can and you will see the difference.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Dark Graphite 535xi
I can tell you from my experience that after break in this car is deceptively fast. Like you I came from a 335xi. No you don't get the same visceral shove in the back. I believe that is blunted by obviously the cars additional weight but also you are more isolated from it by more luxurious suspension tuning and sound proofing. But believe me you will be in triple digits before you know it.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM
um, i dunno

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbimmerMD View Post
I can tell you from my experience that after break in this car is deceptively fast. Like you I came from a 335xi. No you don't get the same visceral shove in the back. I believe that is blunted by obviously the cars additional weight but also you are more isolated from it by more luxurious suspension tuning and sound proofing. But believe me you will be in triple digits before you know it.

this, and how fast do you have to go?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
To each his own. I love driving my 535xi. I am at my max speed long before I get to the end of the freeway ramp. Since I do not track my car, any difference in weight and 0-60 does not make any difference for me. But I also love driving my 11 year old Lexus GS 300. I think I just enjoy driving. I think a lot of folks agonize about numbers during the decision making process, but once they own the 2011 535 (if it does not grind!) just enjoy driving it.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
The car definitely does not "feel" as fast off the line as an E60 or E61 535i or 535xi. Lot of reasons, the additional weight, the additional soundproofing, different turbo setup, different transmission. It's just, well, different. It's by no means as visceral feeling.

I don't think that there's much between them. Maybe a tenth or two when launched properly and shifted properly. But the feeling the F10 gives is much more isolated.

Oh, I'm fully broken in, 8,600 miles.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians