Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Clutch disc replacement

Hi guys!

A couple of days ago I had to move a fully loaded trailer through very rough and soaked road (with couple of inches of water on it). In order to do so, I had to put my clutch under a lot of pressure....Anyway, when I parked the car I noticed that my clutch was starting to smell bad (like it was burnt up - you all know that smell).

After a couple of hours, the smell went away and the car (and the clutch) now behaves well.

Just in case (and I hope I will not need it), has anyone replaced a clutch disc on X3?

Is it complicated? Where online can I find the clutch disc?

Thanks,
Marko
Ads by Google
Old 12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
It will be probably ok, but you sure took a big chunk on the clutch life. I would recommend to replace the pressure plate and the bearing at the same time, when the time comes.

Most of the online BM parts websites will have the clutch kit, the only thing to find out is if they ship international.

www.bavauto.com
www.crownpartsonline.com
www.autohausAZ.com
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1! Clutches can and do fail! When you replace the disc you should also replace the pressure plate and throwout bearing while you are in there. I suppose just the disc replacement would work but why not replace the whole package, you have to remove it all anyway to get to the disc? The parts are not that expensive, its the labor. And then there is the flywheel, hope that doesn't need to be resurfaced too. While the M/T is a reliable package, it is not an inexpensive thing to repair, just less so than the A/T which is replaced vice repaired in most cases.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 330i/X3/El Camino
The reality is it takes a lot of work to pull the transmission out so that you can get to the clutch. I have been told that the bell housing bolts over the top are buggers to get to. Once you have spent that time or $$$ (take your pick) the price for parts is relatively inexpensive. So it is customary to replace all of the wear parts rather than just one.

The other factor to consider is if you generated enough heat for it to smell you will also have affected the metal parts. Springs can lose their temper. Bearings can get cooked. New parts eliminates the potential for troubles from these kinds of things down the road.

I still have my prior DD, a 2001 Mustang GT with about 90k on it. Clutch works fine. Throwout bearing does not, it makes a lot of noise when it is cold. Might be a $20 part. But if I replace it I will do about $300 worth of parts.

Note that it is generally a good idea to resurface or replace the flywheel when replacing a clutch disk. The metal of the flywheel acquires a certain finish which is a combination of texture and embedded clutch disk material. This surface is not totally compatible with a new disk and can lead to clutch chatter (rough engagement).
Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 AM

Guys, thanks a lot for the info. By simply looking online, the prices are like this:

clutch disc - 100 US$
pressure plate - 290 US$
flywheel - 780 US$

When I get to it (and I hope that will not happen soon), I think I will resurface the flywheel....
Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 PM
the dood that likes bass

Mein Auto: 02' 530i 5spd
note that it has a duel-mass flywheel that not to many can resurface and most shops probably wouldn't. any ideas on an aftermarket clutch for the X3?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Well, it's been 14 months since I started this topic and today my clutch definitely died - I tried to pull a boat out of water where the trailer wheels went off the ramp into the mud. No luck, the boat is still on the water and my car can barely move.

So, on Monday I will start quoting parts/labor and see if DIY is feasible. Will keep you informed.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 AM

Ken get your buddy with a full size truck to pull the boat out of the water, and stand by for some interesting quotes and prices. I don't know the labor costs down there but I suspect they will be cheaper than up here, while the parts will probably cost more. While I have done clutches, etc. in domestic trucks I have never done one in a BMW so I can't speak from experience but I never really had to do anything to the flywheel. Since you burned yours out in a "single" episode I bet the flywheel is probably OK and you just need the other stuff. X3 MTs are probably not the best boat pullers (depending on the size of the boat) and this is one place where the A/T may do better. Trucks of course pull boats out of the water better than anything else.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-30-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I don't know the labor costs down there but I suspect they will be cheaper than up here, while the parts will probably cost more. While I have done clutches, etc. in domestic trucks I have never done one in a BMW so I can't speak from experience but I never really had to do anything to the flywheel. Since you burned yours out in a "single" episode I bet the flywheel is probably OK and you just need the other stuff.
UncleJ, I guess the flywheel is ok, there is no noise nor strange vibrations, just the disc slippage and ugly smell. I managed to get back home, the clutch resisted upto 40 mph (and even 60 downhill). It was strange to see an X3 moving so slowly.

Quote:
X3 MTs are probably not the best boat pullers (depending on the size of the boat) and this is one place where the A/T may do better. Trucks of course pull boats out of the water better than anything else.
Well, it was only an 18.5ft bowrider, nothing too heavy. But, I will definitely let my neighbor do it himself next time

Re MT vs AT, the day before yesterday I had a chance to enjoy 50 miles of twisty mountain roads and MT is a blast to drive The road was deserted, nobody around, I was able to use both lanes and try out the car and tires and it was pure FUN
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 AM

Ken, this was of course BEFORE the clutch gave up!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 AM

UncleJ, of course, the day before it died.

BTW, I got the following pricing from the only dealer in Chile:
1) Clutch kit - US$800
2) Labor - 3 days and US$900

I ordered the clutch kit from Germany for US$400 (shipping via DHL included) and will find an indy shop to do it. Still getting labor pricing.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Smart move on the clutch pkg. Let us know how things turned out. Glad you have some indys down there too!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:42 AM

For the moment the only labor price I got is US$480. Should be getting another one tomorrow - hope a little bit lower.

The only problem (besides spending 900 bucks ) is that it will take between 7 and 11 days to get the clutch kit from Germany.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
FLywheel

My mechanic just touched up my fly wheel with a hand grinder/sander on my E39. Works fine. Everyone told me to do the flywheel while I was in there, he said that was bunk unless there was something he saw when he was in there.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
My mechanic just touched up my fly wheel with a hand grinder/sander on my E39. Works fine. Everyone told me to do the flywheel while I was in there, he said that was bunk unless there was something he saw when he was in there.
Does your E39 have a dual mass flywheel?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 AM

Well, I got my car back from the indy shop last night. New clutch works like a charm. 900 bucks total (with the genuine BMW clutch kit shipped from Germany and one day of labor at a local indy shop).

These guys told me that 4 cyl diesels eat a lot of clutch as they do not have enough torque to take off at 800rpms. Will post pictures of new and old clutch disc/pressure plate when I get home.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Glad you got it fixed at a very reasonable price! Now then just try to keep from hauling big heavy boats off slippery ramps!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Glad you got it fixed at a very reasonable price! Now then just try to keep from hauling big heavy boats off slippery ramps!
I think I will not approach the ramp for some time now