Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Porsche C4S
Prone to chips in windshield?

I just realized that my windshield is pitted with a half dozen small (1/16-1/8th in.) craters, one of which was large enough to require filling by the windshield repair people. Most are located near the base of the windshield. Now I realize that this has been an awful winter, with lots of salt and stones on the road. However, I've been driving BMWs for 30+ years and have not had this experience before. Could it be caused by the combination of the hood and windshield contours? Has anyone else noticed an unusual amount of pitting on the F10 windshield?
E39 M5 (sold)
1996 Porsche C4 (sold)

Last edited by kocsis; 02-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
People have been complaining of soft glass on BMW windshields for a while now. My '08 335i was awful, never had to have it replaced though. I've already noticed many small pits on my F10 535i with 5000 miles on it. I do a good bit of highway driving, but even small hits by sand and other normal items is enough to create the pitting. I don't recall my '05 330i having as bad a problem.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I haven't had any issues, but I highly recommend putting Rain-X or Glass Science Rain Clear Windshield Repellant Gel. These products will make all the exterior glass super slick, easier to clean and aid in visibility. I'm not sure if it helps with pitting, but it can't hurt for sure. As a bonus your wipers will last longer as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Yes, I agree. I scratched my windshield with freakin news paper! I was getting bird droppings off my windshield and noticed little scratches. I am going to tried glass polish to see if it will remove them.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Porsche C4S
Got another hit today....a small crack, about 3/16" in length. Will wait to see what happens when summer comes, may swap out windshield. But this is a bit silly. I do use Rain-X.
E39 M5 (sold)
1996 Porsche C4 (sold)

Last edited by kocsis; 02-28-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
I have experienced the same problem. Within one month of having my F10 and before the winter weather arrived, I noticed that my windshield had many chips. I am very disappointed by this because I believe the windshield should be more durable. Will BMW try to charge me for this at the end of the lease?

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 02-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
It is my understanding that it is much more difficult to repair windshield chips if Rain-X has been used. Apparently it leaves a microscopic residue that makes the windshield repair adhesive less likely to work. I was researching windshield chip repairs when I came across this information on a number of blogs.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financeman View Post
It is my understanding that it is much more difficult to repair windshield chips if Rain-X has been used. Apparently it leaves a microscopic residue that makes the windshield repair adhesive less likely to work. I was researching windshield chip repairs when I came across this information on a number of blogs.
I always use Rain-X and have had quite a few successful chip repairs. Doesn't seem to be a problem as they apparently can clean the windshield chip sufficiently of Rain-X, road oils, bug deposits, acid rain and any other debris in the chip.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550 M-Sport
Yes kocsis, my experience is the same as yours. I got my 2011 F10 550 M sport on 12/4/10 and have about 2600 miles. I have 4 or 5 small windshield divots like you describe. This is definitely an issue with BMW windshields. Does anyone know how to fix these? Partial or total fix?
Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financeman View Post
To a certain extent.

A guy I used to work with was super ridiculous about his car....and put on Rain-X every week! He literally used to drive with no wipers up until a downpour but I digress.

He had a small crack that he tried to have filled and they said there was too much Rain-X for them to be able to repair it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
Same experience here with windshield chipping. Weak glass quality is what they use to keep manufacturing costs down.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
I don't think BMW is more prone to chipping then any other make. I drive mostly freeway and have had some pretty good size stones bounce off with no major damage. Small chips sure, that's unavoidable if you drive the freeways. You just have to pay attention and back off from cars and especially trucks or pass them ASAP. Gravel trucks are the worst and they all like to drive 75 mph. I've owned Lexus, Audi and several American brands. All have the same problem.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
I currently have a 12+ inch crack in the upper corner (passenger-side) of the windshield which I presume was caused by a stone chip (a small ding on the crack is obvious) I don't remember anything hitting the windshield...which is strange as the car is only 2.5 months old I have been obsessive/paranoid about keeping it in perfect condition and cringe everytime someone in front of me cleans their windshield and gets wiper fluid on my windshield Luckily I have no-deductible insurance coverage for it. I was supposed to have the windshield replaced this morning..but the auto glass guy said his supplier didn't have a replacement F10 windshield in stock. I hope to get it done by the weekend.
Sport Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Sport Auto Transmission
Active Cruise Control
Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
I don't think BMW is more prone to chipping then any other make. I drive mostly freeway and have had some pretty good size stones bounce off with no major damage. Small chips sure, that's unavoidable if you drive the freeways. You just have to pay attention and back off from cars and especially trucks or pass them ASAP. Gravel trucks are the worst and they all like to drive 75 mph. I've owned Lexus, Audi and several American brands. All have the same problem.
Well I don't know what the other responders are referring to, but like I said, my previous '08 335i windshield was full of small pits from even sand particles blowing up from the road from traffic ahead. I do a good amount of highway driving to and from work (except for the bumper-to-bumper part), but IMO, that windshield, and now my new 535i, seems worse for wear than my previous cars. My 535i windshield had small pits after a few weeks and nothing "big" hit the windshield.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Well I don't know what the other responders are referring to, but like I said, my previous '08 335i windshield was full of small pits from even sand particles blowing up from the road from traffic ahead. I do a good amount of highway driving to and from work (except for the bumper-to-bumper part), but IMO, that windshield, and now my new 535i, seems worse for wear than my previous cars. My 535i windshield had small pits after a few weeks and nothing "big" hit the windshield.
I have had the same experience with my F10, which was delivered on October 23, 2011 and which has just about 5k miles. Our 2010 X5 seems to be doing better, but I attribute this to the location of the windshield (higher up), rather than the X5 having a better windshield. Contrary to Mark's 2008 335i, our 2006 325xi's windshield seems to have done better than the one on the F10.

2014 750ix M Sport