Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4i
No Radio ... no Bluetooth

Hi everyone, hopefully someone can me with this.
I was testing my girlfriends Garmin GPS in the X5 (which has Navigation and Bluetooth and Radio with CD)and the Bluetooth function built into the Garmin GPS. I called her from my cell phone which was paired to the BMW Bluetooth and we started talking BUT the Garmin external GPS then took control of the Bluetooth and for a short while we talked through the Garmin. Then everything quit. The Garmin still works but now NOT ONLY doesn't the BT in the BMW not work at all but the Radio doesn't work either...although the pilot light turns on once the Radio power button is pushed.
Help... is there a common fuse somewhere or...???
Frankie
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Never heard of this before and can only assume there was a glitch in the BMW bluetooth module in that it 'forgot' about your better half's cellphone and then looked to re -pair with a device and found the Garmin first. So perhaps it's an indication that the bluetooth module in the car is on it's way out? loose connection ?...

I think with these units, you need to disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes and re-connect. I'd doubt if a fuse has blown but no harm in checking. If it still persists etc, perhaps look around for a known working bluetooth module of the same version etc to swap and try.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4i
Hi Dennis and thanks for answering.
I located the fuses for both the radio and telephone but could not find any fusing for the bluetooth. All the fuses appear to be in order and in fact if I pull the radio fuse, sure enough the radio pilot lamp doesn't light so i know thats not it.
However, isn't it strange that the radio or CD or any sound isn't working along with Bluetooth through the speakers... what's common... the speaker or amp system i guess but what do i look for there.
Also, where do I find the Bluetooth module in the X5... no idea where to look ?
F
Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

As mentioned, never heard this before in that bluetooth pairing can knock a CD and audio output out! my guess it's just co-incidence it just happened at the same time...

If you look through various postings, perhaps on the X5 section, there's probably information and pictures to where the BT module is etc.

From there, you've got a bit of fault finding etc to do...

Cheers, Dennis!