Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
BMW GT v. ????? - what cars did you test drive before you bought your GT

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...a_s/index.html

I chose my BMW 550i GT over a Porsche Panamera and Panamera S. I have attached a recent article from Automobile Magazine that I did not see before purchasing. Frankly, I am surprised, and very pleased, by their conclusions. I thought both cars were engaging dynamically but aesthetically I thought that the GT showcased BMW design language in a manner that was fresher and more original than the Porsche, which I considered very derivative. The Porsche in any configuration placed more emphasis on being a sports car and the BMW had more the feel of a seven series gran turismo. What I gave up dynamically I made up in comfort, capacity, and long distance touring capability. These were all contributing elements, but the critical deciding factor that swayed my purchase to the BMW was the 550i's 400 hp – 450 lbs-ft of torque when combined with a sport pack and 20-inch wheels mitigated the Porsche's advantage. Independent of cost, I concluded, as Automobile Mag concluded, that the BMW was the better overall choice. Considering cost further reaffirmed the conclusion - the Panamera V6 is about $82K to $90K and the Panamera S with options is over $100K.

The BMW GT is a unique car – I suspect we all got here via very different routes.
What cars did you test/cross-shop and what was compelling about the BMW GT?
__________________
BMWCCA

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM
dogguyX3's Avatar
dogguyX3 dogguyX3 is offline
Bite me! In a good Way!
Location: Baltimore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 241
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
winner and the runners up

When the time comes to trade my X3, I want to take a look at the GT.
I was always thinking I would move into the X5.
Your comments make me even more curious.
Who else in here can tell me what are the other "contestants"
that vied for your GT crown?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogguyX3 View Post
When the time comes to trade my X3, I want to take a look at the GT.
I was always thinking I would move into the X5.
Your comments make me even more curious.
Who else in here can tell me what are the other "contestants"
that vied for your GT crown?
Sorry there are no responses. I find the question interesting. I would have anticipated a rather diverse cross shopping list that included traditional luxury cars, sporting GT types, coupes, hatchbacks and SUVs. You’re coming to the 550i GT from a sporty SUV, my last car was a 335i vet. Although I have had in the past a fascination for wagons, most of my past cars have been sports/GT cars. The 550i GT is a really unique car that I find engaging both aesthetically and dynamically.
__________________
BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
car-fan's Avatar
car-fan car-fan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...a_s/index.html

I chose my BMW 550i GT over a Porsche Panamera and Panamera S. I have attached a recent article from Automobile Magazine that I did not see before purchasing. Frankly, I am surprised, and very pleased, by their conclusions. I thought both cars were engaging dynamically but aesthetically I thought that the GT showcased BMW design language in a manner that was fresher and more original than the Porsche, which I considered very derivative. The Porsche in any configuration placed more emphasis on being a sports car and the BMW had more the feel of a seven series gran turismo. What I gave up dynamically I made up in comfort, capacity, and long distance touring capability. These were all contributing elements, but the critical deciding factor that swayed my purchase to the BMW was the 550i's 400 hp – 450 lbs-ft of torque when combined with a sport pack and 20-inch wheels mitigated the Porsche's advantage. Independent of cost, I concluded, as Automobile Mag concluded, that the BMW was the better overall choice. Considering cost further reaffirmed the conclusion - the Panamera V6 is about $82K to $90K and the Panamera S with options is over $100K.

The BMW GT is a unique car – I suspect we all got here via very different routes.
What cars did you test/cross-shop and what was compelling about the BMW GT?

The car that I traded in on the GT was a 2010 Audi Q5 Sline/Prestige. I bought the
Audi because I wanted something with ground clearance and room. Ironically enough when I saw the GT at the Miami car show in person, and realized it was a actually a "7" with a hatch I knew I wanted it. The Audi on the other hand did not offer the outright room I needed. In short I made a deal, ordered my GT, and traded the Audi. I paid 50k for that Audi, kept it for 5 months and put 10K on the odo, got 45k on trade for the GT. For truck duty I bought a fullsize SUV to replace it.

I did drive the Panamera S and Panamera 4S at Porsche event. We were able to drive solo around a closed slalom course and with an instructor. I have also driven the new Cayenne Turbo. Bottom line the Panamera may be a bit sportier, but the outright luxury crown goes to the GT. I did not get it twisted I never expected the GT to handle like a 3 series, I was actually enamored at the fact that I was getting basically a full size German Luxury sedan with performance. What in this class offers the room and utility? 750li yes, minus the utiility. Panamera nope, S Class (don't care for it, also minus the utility) so no there as well. What's left the Rapide - you got to be kidding I almost need the jaws of life to get out of the back seat of one. Nice car and all but those extra two doors are not convenient for anyone over 6 feet.

So there you have it, the GT is a force of 1. And if someone brings up the F11 5 Series (wagon), its very nice as well. That car may (arguably) have a slight bit more cargo space, due to the limitations of the sloping rear roof of the GT, but it does not offer the comfort or interior passenger space. The GT is a bargain it's not meant for the main stream, but for those who realize the merits of the car on its own will be pleased IMHO
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top/Lux Seating/Heated Seats/Style 356/Apps/Prem. Sound(retired)
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/+ all optionsexcept sunroof/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF mirror caps
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 01-08-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
The car that I traded in on the GT was a 2010 Audi Q5 Sline/Prestige. I bought the
Audi because I wanted something with ground clearance and room. Ironically enough when I saw the GT at the Miami car show in person, and realized it was a actually a "7" with a hatch I knew I wanted it. The Audi on the other hand did not offer the outright room I needed. In short I made a deal, ordered my GT, and traded the Audi. I paid 50k for that Audi, kept it for 5 months and put 10K on the odo, got 45k on trade for the GT. For truck duty I bought a fullsize SUV to replace it.

I did drive the Panamera S and Panamera 4S at Porsche event. We were able to drive solo around a closed slalom course and with an instructor. I have also driven the new Cayenne Turbo. Bottom line the Panamera may be a bit sportier, but the outright luxury crown goes to the GT. I did not get it twisted I never expected the GT to handle like a 3 series, I was actually enamored at the fact that I was getting basically a full size German Luxury sedan with performance. What in this class offers the room and utility? 750li yes, minus the utiility. Panamera nope, S Class (don't care for it, also minus the utility) so no there as well. What's left the Rapide - you got to be kidding I almost need the jaws of life to get out of the back seat of one. Nice car and all but those extra two doors are not convenient for anyone over 6 feet.

So there you have it, the GT is a force of 1. And if someone brings up the F11 5 Series (wagon), its very nice as well. That car may (arguably) have a slight bit more cargo space, due to the limitations of the sloping rear roof of the GT, but it does not offer the comfort or interior passenger space. The GT is a bargain it's not meant for the main stream, but for those who realize the merits of the car on its own will be pleased IMHO
A force of one – well-said - the GT is a unique blend of utility, comfort, luxury and performance. Given my original hostility to the car when it was introduced I still cannot quite believe that I actually purchased a 550i GT. When I went to the BMW dealer, I thought I was only going through the motions – I knew I was purchasing a Panamera. I was struck by the original styling of the BMW that conveyed robust athleticism and functionality. The interior was not only elegant but also supremely comfortable for four. The power and responsiveness of the car was surprising and fun – long difficult drives are effortless. The GT possesses a presence that immediately communicates that this is a special BMW.

I agree that the GT is a bargain and not for the main stream. I loved both my 525iT and my 911 Turbo - drove each of them more than 100,000 miles - I think BMW was reading my mind when they built the GT.
__________________
BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
magnumforc magnumforc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 199
Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
I bought and sold a new 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon to get the GT. While the Sport Wagon has really wild looks and curb appeal (nothing looks like it and the tail lights are, well, awesome) it's never going to be a BMW. The ride is really inferior and the handling, while superior to most any other American built car I've driven lately, just isn't BMW class. If you want to smoke tires, the V wagon will do that all day and blow the doors off the GT. In fact, the 3.6 wagon will stay with the 535iGT too. But again, put them both in a driving contest and the BMW wins.

It's tough to stay neutral when you love not only cars, but what they bring to your every day driving pleasure.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
car-fan's Avatar
car-fan car-fan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
I bought and sold a new 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon to get the GT. While the Sport Wagon has really wild looks and curb appeal (nothing looks like it and the tail lights are, well, awesome) it's never going to be a BMW. The ride is really inferior and the handling, while superior to most any other American built car I've driven lately, just isn't BMW class. If you want to smoke tires, the V wagon will do that all day and blow the doors off the GT. In fact, the 3.6 wagon will stay with the 535iGT too. But again, put them both in a driving contest and the BMW wins.

It's tough to stay neutral when you love not only cars, but what they bring to your every day driving pleasure.

Was it the driving experience only - BMW vs. CTS - that made prompted you to make the switch? i have driven the CTS-V2 a few times and came close to getting one. I may still get a sedan or wagon sometime in the future for the missus. Ever since I got my GT tuned I don't necessarily have that burning desire to make the jump However, when/if I do decide It would NOT be in place of the GT, but in addition to. I grew up with Cadillacs and a fan I remain.
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top/Lux Seating/Heated Seats/Style 356/Apps/Prem. Sound(retired)
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/+ all optionsexcept sunroof/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF mirror caps
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 PM
magnumforc magnumforc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 199
Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Driving experience PLUS crappy customer service from the Great Mutation. For example, the nav system was so far out of date at purchase yet GM wanted $2poo to update it and I had to jump through hoops to finally get a new disc. The nav booklet was missing from the owners pack and they wanted to charge $25 for a replacement...Cadillac stated they do not replace missing materials and the dealer was useless.

I found that Cadillac dealers, unlike BMW. don't really care if they see you again after the sale. Sure, they will service the vehicle, but don't depend on them to fix issues unless you bring the TSB and shove it under their nose. Like the rear end issues with the carbon clutches that makes the rear end shudder and slip all over with the positraction rear. They'll never apply the fix unless you tell them to do it. (factory fill of fluid was wrong and didn't contain enough additive for limited slip axles). I considered what was going to happen down the road with problems if they were this bad at the get-go.

Great looking car, fast, roomy, but seating position on the floor, strange driving position, seat short if you're long legged (seat bottom hits you less than mid thigh) unless you spring for the Recaro Seats which were originally an option (I've heard good and bad about them as well. If they had the 20 way BMW multi-contours like the 535iGT...mmmm). Suspension adjustment sporty and more sporty, no really cruising comfort as in the BMW.

Lots to think of. I suppose if I were to buy a "toy" just to play with, maybe I would have waited for a 2 or three year old when the 25to 35K or more depreciation sits in.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 AM
car-fan's Avatar
car-fan car-fan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Driving experience PLUS crappy customer service from the Great Mutation. For example, the nav system was so far out of date at purchase yet GM wanted $2poo to update it and I had to jump through hoops to finally get a new disc. The nav booklet was missing from the owners pack and they wanted to charge $25 for a replacement...Cadillac stated they do not replace missing materials and the dealer was useless.

I found that Cadillac dealers, unlike BMW. don't really care if they see you again after the sale. Sure, they will service the vehicle, but don't depend on them to fix issues unless you bring the TSB and shove it under their nose. Like the rear end issues with the carbon clutches that makes the rear end shudder and slip all over with the positraction rear. They'll never apply the fix unless you tell them to do it. (factory fill of fluid was wrong and didn't contain enough additive for limited slip axles). I considered what was going to happen down the road with problems if they were this bad at the get-go.

Great looking car, fast, roomy, but seating position on the floor, strange driving position, seat short if you're long legged (seat bottom hits you less than mid thigh) unless you spring for the Recaro Seats which were originally an option (I've heard good and bad about them as well. If they had the 20 way BMW multi-contours like the 535iGT...mmmm). Suspension adjustment sporty and more sporty, no really cruising comfort as in the BMW.

Lots to think of. I suppose if I were to buy a "toy" just to play with, maybe I would have waited for a 2 or three year old when the 25to 35K or more depreciation sits in.
Wow sorry to hear about the lack of customer service - seems to be rampant with many things these days

About the NAV disk, I had a CPO 2007 Escalade, through Cadillac Forums I found out that owners were entitled to a complimentary Nav Disk update through GM. I called, and found I was eligible, and they sent me a free updated Nav Disk for 2010. I didn't get to use it much as I sold that truck for my 2011 QX. I currently have a 2006 DTS with 26K on the odo. My BMW dealer is also a Cadillac dealer. They took care of me with the Escalade even down to the slightly faded gloss black trim pieces - on a truck with 44k miles.

Re: CTS-V vs GT I knew that the CTS in general didn't have quality levels of the GT. GM has actually decontented a lot of their vehicles my 06 DTS has options that aren't even avaialbe on the 2011 models. Overall they have come a long way, but the issues you have raised with the CTS will cause me to sit on the fence for a while.
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top/Lux Seating/Heated Seats/Style 356/Apps/Prem. Sound(retired)
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/+ all optionsexcept sunroof/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF mirror caps
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Wow sorry to hear about the lack of customer service - seems to be rampant with many things these days

About the NAV disk, I had a CPO 2007 Escalade, through Cadillac Forums I found out that owners were entitled to a complimentary Nav Disk update through GM. I called, and found I was eligible, and they sent me a free updated Nav Disk for 2010. I didn't get to use it much as I sold that truck for my 2011 QX. I currently have a 2006 DTS with 26K on the odo. My BMW dealer is also a Cadillac dealer. They took care of me with the Escalade even down to the slightly faded gloss black trim pieces - on a truck with 44k miles.

Re: CTS-V vs GT I knew that the CTS in general didn't have quality levels of the GT. GM has actually decontented a lot of their vehicles my 06 DTS has options that aren't even avaialbe on the 2011 models. Overall they have come a long way, but the issues you have raised with the CTS will cause me to sit on the fence for a while.
I am intrigued by the CTS-V...what's not to like? However, my family owned a number of Cadillacs through the years and they were consistently abused by the dealership. I consider our local Cadillac dealer to be an especially bottom dwelling low life. Maybe things have changed at my local Cadillac store, but I am not going to experiment with $75K, and maybe be a victim. The luxury car "experience" is an important factor in my car buying equation.
__________________
BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
car-fan's Avatar
car-fan car-fan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
I am intrigued by the CTS-V...what's not to like? However, my family owned a number of Cadillacs through the years and they were consistently abused by the dealership. I consider our local Cadillac dealer to be an especially bottom dwelling low life. Maybe things have changed at my local Cadillac store, but I am not going to experiment with $75K, and maybe be a victim. The luxury car "experience" is an important factor in my car buying equation.
+1 on that
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top/Lux Seating/Heated Seats/Style 356/Apps/Prem. Sound(retired)
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/+ all optionsexcept sunroof/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF mirror caps
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
magnumforc magnumforc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 199
Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Absolutely. If you're getting my money, I want the whole "enchilada" not just the plate. GM hasn't learned much in the way of customer service out here. Interestingly enough, my last GM experience was with a 2005 GTO. Found the Chevy dealer was more eager to service it than the Pontiac dealer. In any case, I love opening the garage door and looking at the GT's. Just wish the garage was bigger...or the wallet was fatter...uhh...both!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 AM
car-fan's Avatar
car-fan car-fan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Absolutely. If you're getting my money, I want the whole "enchilada" not just the plate. GM hasn't learned much in the way of customer service out here. Interestingly enough, my last GM experience was with a 2005 GTO. Found the Chevy dealer was more eager to service it than the Pontiac dealer. In any case, I love opening the garage door and looking at the GT's. Just wish the garage was bigger...or the wallet was fatter...uhh...both!
Not to mention the GT is still relatively rare. In my building within the last 4 months (3) F10 535's have appeared in the parking garage on floors 3, 4, & 5 all the same color, with sports package. I don't believe these folks know each other. Kind of reminds me of the Audi commercial depicting a parking lot full of Lexus RX's in the same color - with the owner of an RX being completely lost on the location of her car.

I love the F10, however, if I were to ever get one it would have to be an Msport, or an M5.
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top/Lux Seating/Heated Seats/Style 356/Apps/Prem. Sound(retired)
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/+ all optionsexcept sunroof/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF mirror caps
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 02-25-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Not to mention the GT is still relatively rare. In my building within the last 4 months (3) F10 535's have appeared in the parking garage on floors 3, 4, & 5 all the same color, with sports package. I don't believe these folks know each other. Kind of reminds me of the Audi commercial depicting a parking lot full of Lexus RX's in the same color - with the owner of an RX being completely lost on the location of her car.

I love the F10, however, if I were to ever get one it would have to be an Msport, or an M5.
+1

I too like the 550i but I find the car's styling is so restrained that it is almost anonymous. In my 'hood I see many 550is and Panameras but have seen only one other 550i GT. Although the 550i GT drives "small" - its road presence is large. Most people think it is considerably more expensive than it is. I enjoy driving what is essentially a 7 series exotic.
__________________
BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
car-fan's Avatar
car-fan car-fan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
+1

I too like the 550i but I find the car's styling is so restrained that it is almost anonymous. In my 'hood I see many 550is and Panameras but have seen only one other 550i GT. Although the 550i GT drives "small" - its road presence is large. Most people think it is considerably more expensive than it is. I enjoy driving what is essentially a 7 series exotic.
Yeah most people think its like about 100k in reality I wasn't too far off But as you know the same options on a 7 would have put us well north of that magic number. I think the fact that the new F10 is heavy in the loaner fleets also increases its visability, You won't be mistaking a GT for anything else- well the uninitiated may think its some sort of X6. Speaking of which I hear the X6 will now be offered with a 3 place rear seating option.
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top/Lux Seating/Heated Seats/Style 356/Apps/Prem. Sound(retired)
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/+ all optionsexcept sunroof/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF mirror caps
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Yeah most people think its like about 100k in reality I wasn't too far off But as you know the same options on a 7 would have put us well north of that magic number. I think the fact that the new F10 is heavy in the loaner fleets also increases its visability, You won't be mistaking a GT for anything else- well the uninitiated may think its some sort of X6. Speaking of which I hear the X6 will now be offered with a 3 place rear seating option.
Yep - many people remark that my car cost over $100K. Looking at the stats in your signature, I thought you were close to that number - your car looks its money, which is frequently not the case with many luxury cars today. Moreover, I am sure you have the pride of owning perhaps one of the nicest 5 GTs in NA - and you can invite your family for the ride, and everyone gets luxury accommodations! My car is far more basic but coming from a 335i vert, the 550i GT experience is sublime - I am still in new car buyers after glow.

PS. I saw a 5 GT at Pennsylvania Ave. and 19th Streets today - got my attention!
__________________
BMWCCA

Last edited by Capobranco; 02-25-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 PM
jdubbs jdubbs is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT
I test-drove several other BMW models, but being a brand-loyalist I did not look much elsewhere. Audis are nice but I'm not a fan of the front grill, and I cannot get past how gaudy the MB interiors have become. I considered the 535i and 550i sedans, the new X3, X5, and X6. Having a large, animated dog who spazzes out on even the shortest of car trips dictated a vehicle with an open cargo area well-removed from the driver's seat (yes, it's that bad), so the 5 sedans were pretty much out from the get-go, but as a previous M5 driver I was still very tempted by them. The 3 wagon was too cramped and lacked much of the fit and finish I've come to expect from BMW. The X5 was tempting, but its height would have required substantial changes to my below-grade San Francisco garage, and its poor gas mileage was a turnoff. The fact that a vehicle as large as the X6 would only seat 4 eliminated it from the running... 3 years with a 4-seater convertible convinced me I needed the flexibility of a 5th seat. I see that a 5-seater option will be available later this year, and that might have changed my decision had it been available sooner.

In the end it came down to the new X3 versus the GT. I liked that the X3 was brand new, much more affordable and had paddle shifters, but I did not like the interior options (both wood grains are blah, and there's still too much vinyl/rubber and not enough leather... plus no ventilated seats, nappa leather, etc. I sat in an early model before they were generally available, and while it was a big improvement over the previous generation, I still wished it had more premium options.

Initially I had problems with the GT's back side, but this was based almost exclusive on photos of it, and once I saw a few in person I realized it had a lot more going for it than many of the online commenters wanted to admit. The interior is in my opinion nicer than any other BMW save the 7 Series, and versatility of the cargo and rear seating area made it an easy choice in the end. No regrets so far!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs View Post
I test-drove several other BMW models, but being a brand-loyalist I did not look much elsewhere. Audis are nice but I'm not a fan of the front grill, and I cannot get past how gaudy the MB interiors have become. I considered the 535i and 550i sedans, the new X3, X5, and X6. Having a large, animated dog who spazzes out on even the shortest of car trips dictated a vehicle with an open cargo area well-removed from the driver's seat (yes, it's that bad), so the 5 sedans were pretty much out from the get-go, but as a previous M5 driver I was still very tempted by them. The 3 wagon was too cramped and lacked much of the fit and finish I've come to expect from BMW. The X5 was tempting, but its height would have required substantial changes to my below-grade San Francisco garage, and its poor gas mileage was a turnoff. The fact that a vehicle as large as the X6 would only seat 4 eliminated it from the running... 3 years with a 4-seater convertible convinced me I needed the flexibility of a 5th seat. I see that a 5-seater option will be available later this year, and that might have changed my decision had it been available sooner.

In the end it came down to the new X3 versus the GT. I liked that the X3 was brand new, much more affordable and had paddle shifters, but I did not like the interior options (both wood grains are blah, and there's still too much vinyl/rubber and not enough leather... plus no ventilated seats, nappa leather, etc. I sat in an early model before they were generally available, and while it was a big improvement over the previous generation, I still wished it had more premium options.

Initially I had problems with the GT's back side, but this was based almost exclusive on photos of it, and once I saw a few in person I realized it had a lot more going for it than many of the online commenters wanted to admit. The interior is in my opinion nicer than any other BMW save the 7 Series, and versatility of the cargo and rear seating area made it an easy choice in the end. No regrets so far!
Interesting trip you took in BMW Land.

I can relate to your comments about not caring for Audis, and preferring to remain in the BMW corral. I especially appreciate your large dog concerns - note my signature and my after market Special High Performance German Anti-theft System. It was fun reading your post, I understand and appreciate the choices you made.

Welcome to the 5 GT Tribe, and the F07 Forum
__________________
BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 AM
car-fan's Avatar
car-fan car-fan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
Yep - many people remark that my car cost over $100K. Looking at the stats in your signature, I thought you were close to that number - your car looks its money, which is frequently not the case with many luxury cars today. Moreover, I am sure you have the pride of owning perhaps one of the nicest 5 GTs in NA - and you can invite your family for the ride, and everyone gets luxury accommodations! My car is far more basic but coming from a 335i vert, the 550i GT experience is sublime - I am still in new car buyers after glow.

PS. I saw a 5 GT at Pennsylvania Ave. and 19th Streets today - got my attention!
I consider it a serious value. And as you mention Family comfort was the first consideration. Here's something interesting for you, and a comparison of seating room that you are unlikely to see anywhere else. In comparison to the Caddy DTS we have, Its completely mind blowing that the GT has much more interior room, in what is arguably one of the largest "traditional" American sedans. And that Caddy is 205 inches long vs 196 inches for the GT. Yes, I too love this BIG BMW

Ironically enough a Town Car (livery) driver thought the GT would be the perfect car for shuttling his clients

You saw a GT in DC? Still pretty rare up there, as is the case down here in SoFla as well.
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top/Lux Seating/Heated Seats/Style 356/Apps/Prem. Sound(retired)
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/+ all optionsexcept sunroof/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF mirror caps
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 03-02-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 AM
*dima* *dima* is offline
BMWCCA Member
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: 550ix GT
Interesting thread... Thanks, svanil, for starting it. Let me add my experience.

I am getting ready for an ED on a 550ixGT. I commute about 40 miles one-way on country roads, but also do a fair amount of interstate cruising, and the Dynamic Handling Package on the GT really impressed me in my test drives.
After test driving both 740i and 750i, as well as Jaguar XJ, and Porsche Cayenne, I concluded that the GT does not give up anything in driving enjoyment or luxury feel to these cars. The versatility of the GT is far superior to any luxury large sedan.

I lived in Europe for many years, and a key difference with the US that struck me was the fact that even wealthy families often have just one car. Terrible parking, high taxes, and even a feeling that multiple cars are wasteful combine and provide the demand for a vehicle that does everything. This is where the GT comes in. I am at a stage where I only want to have a single car, and for me the GT would do great in replacing a wagon/SUV and a luxury/sport sedan. I agree with car-fan. GT is great value.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
magnumforc magnumforc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 199
Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Cheers on your decision! Even though we have two GT's, the versatility is there. I'm off to the home supply while the spouse is on the way to the grocery. Neither has the need to give up time nor convenience to wait while a vehicle is free for their use. We didn't have to settle for the lack of versatility of a pickup truck for occasional use, nor do we get the "down nose" looks from those who think large SUV's are destroying the planet. With fuel prices soaring, we get to cruise in luxury at very realistic gas mileage. We sacrifice none of the comfort, luxury, cargo capacity nor quality and service. It just comes all wrapped up in one great package. Plus, it's a great car just to drive. After all, it is a BMW!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by *dima* View Post
Interesting thread... Thanks, svanil, for starting it. Let me add my experience.

I am getting ready for an ED on a 550ixGT. I commute about 40 miles one-way on country roads, but also do a fair amount of interstate cruising, and the Dynamic Handling Package on the GT really impressed me in my test drives.
After test driving both 740i and 750i, as well as Jaguar XJ, and Porsche Cayenne, I concluded that the GT does not give up anything in driving enjoyment or luxury feel to these cars. The versatility of the GT is far superior to any luxury large sedan.

I lived in Europe for many years, and a key difference with the US that struck me was the fact that even wealthy families often have just one car. Terrible parking, high taxes, and even a feeling that multiple cars are wasteful combine and provide the demand for a vehicle that does everything. This is where the GT comes in. I am at a stage where I only want to have a single car, and for me the GT would do great in replacing a wagon/SUV and a luxury/sport sedan. I agree with car-fan. GT is great value.
You tested some interesting cars. I too have spent considerable time in Europe. I suspect my opinion, that 5 door hatches and luxury are not antithetical concepts, is rooted in my European experience. As more premium 5 doors enter the US market, I am sure that American buyer's perception will change. Premium 5 doors will be viewed as more mainstream, as opposed to being just niche vehicles. As to agreeing with Car-fan - I soon got use to that idea after I joined this forum.

Congrats on the soon to be GT! Welcome to the 07 Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Cheers on your decision! Even though we have two GT's, the versatility is there. I'm off to the home supply while the spouse is on the way to the grocery. Neither has the need to give up time nor convenience to wait while a vehicle is free for their use. We didn't have to settle for the lack of versatility of a pickup truck for occasional use, nor do we get the "down nose" looks from those who think large SUV's are destroying the planet. With fuel prices soaring, we get to cruise in luxury at very realistic gas mileage. We sacrifice none of the comfort, luxury, cargo capacity nor quality and service. It just comes all wrapped up in one great package. Plus, it's a great car just to drive. After all, it is a BMW!
+1 BIG BMW
__________________
BMWCCA

Last edited by Capobranco; 03-03-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM
nlk10010 nlk10010 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lawn Guyland, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 284
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by *dima* View Post
-snip-
I lived in Europe for many years, and a key difference with the US that struck me was the fact that even wealthy families often have just one car. Terrible parking, high taxes, and even a feeling that multiple cars are wasteful combine and provide the demand for a vehicle that does everything. This is where the GT comes in. I am at a stage where I only want to have a single car, and for me the GT would do great in replacing a wagon/SUV and a luxury/sport sedan. I agree with car-fan. GT is great value.
Funny, I feel as you do.

When I first got married we maintained two homes, one in NYC and one by the beach. People thought that was a marvelous thing and envied us but, while it was nice, the cost and trouble of maintaining two residences outweighed the benefits.

I feel the same way about cars: I have a 550i 6speed which, at times, I LOVE driving. The problem is there's no way to lug stuff in the 550i and I can't physically manage a 6speed anymore, at least on a continuous basis. My wife doesn't drive so it doesn't make economic sense to maintain two cars (we're not independently wealthy) and things are easier when I just need to maintain ONE car. THAT'S why the 550GT attracted me. My salesman looked at me sideways when I said I was interested in one but it's a luxury 7 and an X5 all in one. My main problem is that if I trade in my 550 and lease the GT, I won't get the sales tax benefit. If I buy I worry about resale down the road since, even though I don't mind the GT's looks, there are a lot of potential buyers who do.

Last edited by nlk10010; 03-03-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 PM
dogguyX3's Avatar
dogguyX3 dogguyX3 is offline
Bite me! In a good Way!
Location: Baltimore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 241
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
delete

Last edited by dogguyX3; 03-03-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,366
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
Funny, I feel as you do.

When I first got married we maintained two homes, one in NYC and one by the beach. People thought that was a marvelous thing and envied us but, while it was nice, the cost and trouble of maintaining two residences outweighed the benefits.

I feel the same way about cars: I have a 550i 6speed which, at times, I LOVE driving. The problem is there's no way to lug stuff in the 550i and I can't physically manage a 6speed anymore, at least on a continuous basis. My wife doesn't drive so it doesn't make economic sense to maintain two cars (we're not independently wealthy) and things are easier when I just need to maintain ONE car. THAT'S why the 550GT attracted me. My salesman looked at me sideways when I said I was interested in one but it's a luxury 7 and an X5 all in one. My main problem is that if I trade in my 550 and lease the GT, I won't get the sales tax benefit. If I buy I worry about resale down the road since, even though I don't mind the GT's looks, there are a lot of potential buyers who do.
I liked the styling of my 550i GT, but before purchasing, I raised the same question. In response to a very similar question within the recent thread " Should we go for GT or 5 series " on the F10 Forum, I offered the following response - I think it is apropos to repost it. Furthermore, Car-fan addressed the issue of oddly equipped remaining 2010 GTs.

Originally Posted by laser

.....Think this styling will destine the GT to be odd hard to resell / hold value car. The F10 is beautiful with classic styling that will look good for many years.

svanil's response...

Although sales are substantially up this year and the 5 GT has exceeded BMW projections I do not think the GT has found its market in North America I suggest that the GT concept will gain greater acceptance in North America as other BMW GT series are launched especially the 3 series GT. Moreover, as other premium 5 doors from competing brands join the party, the idea of premium and 5 door will cease being antithetical.

The trend for the GT is up but the future is speculation.
Courtesy of Kelly Blue Book, we can look at the market as of today.

Kelly Blue Book
Assumptions
Trade-in value
Location Potomac, MD
Miles 12,000 per yr
Condition- excellent
Equipment –Auto, Sport Pack, Dynamic Handling, 19+" wheels, Navigation, Cold, Premium, Optional Stereo, Satellite, Park Sensors
(The GTs are configured with standard 3 across rear seats)

List prices are approximations and do not take into account discounts.

2009 – 535i – trade in value - $36,850 - new list approximately $60K
2010 – 535i- trade in value - $41,700 - new list approximately $60K
2010– 535iGT – trade in value $56,950 – new list approximately $68K
2010 -550iGT – trade in value $64,675 – new list approximately $75K

All cars depreciate and BMW 5 series are not immune, but trade-in prices on the 5 GT are holding up well.

(Note there are many GTs with exceptional levels of luxury equipment - the 550i GT in the
exercise is based on my car, and I did not include my Special High Performance German Anti-theft System which is after market).
__________________
__________________
BMWCCA

Last edited by Capobranco; 03-03-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms