Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
I liked the styling of my 550i GT, but before purchasing, I raised the same question. In response to a very similar question within the recent thread " Should we go for GT or 5 series " on the F10 Forum, I offered the following response - I think it is apropos to repost it. Furthermore, Car-fan addressed the issue of oddly equipped remaining 2010 GTs.

Originally Posted by laser

.....Think this styling will destine the GT to be odd hard to resell / hold value car. The F10 is beautiful with classic styling that will look good for many years.

svanil's response...

Although sales are substantially up this year and the 5 GT has exceeded BMW projections I do not think the GT has found its market in North America I suggest that the GT concept will gain greater acceptance in North America as other BMW GT series are launched especially the 3 series GT. Moreover, as other premium 5 doors from competing brands join the party, the idea of premium and 5 door will cease being antithetical.

The trend for the GT is up but the future is speculation.
Courtesy of Kelly Blue Book, we can look at the market as of today.

Kelly Blue Book
Assumptions
Trade-in value
Location Potomac, MD
Miles 12,000 per yr
Condition- excellent
Equipment –Auto, Sport Pack, Dynamic Handling, 19+" wheels, Navigation, Cold, Premium, Optional Stereo, Satellite, Park Sensors
(The GTs are configured with standard 3 across rear seats)

List prices are approximations and do not take into account discounts.

2009 – 535i – trade in value - $36,850 - new list approximately $60K
2010 – 535i- trade in value - $41,700 - new list approximately $60K
2010– 535iGT – trade in value $56,950 – new list approximately $68K
2010 -550iGT – trade in value $64,675 – new list approximately $75K

All cars depreciate and BMW 5 series are not immune, but trade-in prices on the 5 GT are holding up well.

(Note there are many GTs with exceptional levels of luxury equipment - the 550i GT in the
exercise is based on my car, and I did not include my Special High Performance German Anti-theft System which is after market).

I knew what I was getting into when I placed an order for the GT. The cars were not even available at the dealers when I made my initial purchase - so I didn't have the benefit of huge discounts athough, this is BMW #7 for me owner loyalty didn't amount to much. Post delivery of the GT - 1 year later I am still very satisfied with my purchase. I didn't choose to lease as I planned on piling on miles - the GT is meant for eating up miles (lots of them). The restraints imposed by a 10k, 12k, or 36k mile lease were not for me. Resale was not a real concern either.

Since I am one for switching cars often, many of my friends made the statement "you're keeping this one right?" and I of course nodded with a smile. If reliablity holds, I am satisfied with the technology, the luxury, the performance. I am good for years to come.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 03-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.