Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
I liked the styling of my 550i GT, but before purchasing, I raised the same question. In response to a very similar question within the recent thread " Should we go for GT or 5 series " on the F10 Forum, I offered the following response - I think it is apropos to repost it. Furthermore, Car-fan addressed the issue of oddly equipped remaining 2010 GTs.

Originally Posted by laser

.....Think this styling will destine the GT to be odd hard to resell / hold value car. The F10 is beautiful with classic styling that will look good for many years.

svanil's response...

Although sales are substantially up this year and the 5 GT has exceeded BMW projections I do not think the GT has found its market in North America I suggest that the GT concept will gain greater acceptance in North America as other BMW GT series are launched especially the 3 series GT. Moreover, as other premium 5 doors from competing brands join the party, the idea of premium and 5 door will cease being antithetical.

The trend for the GT is up but the future is speculation.
Courtesy of Kelly Blue Book, we can look at the market as of today.

Kelly Blue Book
Assumptions
Trade-in value
Location Potomac, MD
Miles 12,000 per yr
Condition- excellent
Equipment –Auto, Sport Pack, Dynamic Handling, 19+" wheels, Navigation, Cold, Premium, Optional Stereo, Satellite, Park Sensors
(The GTs are configured with standard 3 across rear seats)

List prices are approximations and do not take into account discounts.

2009 – 535i – trade in value - $36,850 - new list approximately $60K
2010 – 535i- trade in value - $41,700 - new list approximately $60K
2010– 535iGT – trade in value $56,950 – new list approximately $68K
2010 -550iGT – trade in value $64,675 – new list approximately $75K

All cars depreciate and BMW 5 series are not immune, but trade-in prices on the 5 GT are holding up well.

(Note there are many GTs with exceptional levels of luxury equipment - the 550i GT in the
exercise is based on my car, and I did not include my Special High Performance German Anti-theft System which is after market).

I knew what I was getting into when I placed an order for the GT. The cars were not even available at the dealers when I made my initial purchase - so I didn't have the benefit of huge discounts athough, this is BMW #7 for me owner loyalty didn't amount to much. Post delivery of the GT - 1 year later I am still very satisfied with my purchase. I didn't choose to lease as I planned on piling on miles - the GT is meant for eating up miles (lots of them). The restraints imposed by a 10k, 12k, or 36k mile lease were not for me. Resale was not a real concern either.

Since I am one for switching cars often, many of my friends made the statement "you're keeping this one right?" and I of course nodded with a smile. If reliablity holds, I am satisfied with the technology, the luxury, the performance. I am good for years to come.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 03-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post

I knew what I was getting into when I placed an order for the GT. The cars were not even available at the dealers when I made my initial purchase - so I didn't have the benefit of huge discounts athough, this is BMW #7 for me owner loyalty didn't amount to much. Post delivery of the GT - 1 year later I am still very satisfied with my purchase. I didn't choose to lease as I planned on piling on miles - the GT is meant for eating up miles (lots of them). The restraints imposed by a 10k, 12k, or 36k mile lease were not for me. Resale was not a real concern either.

Since I am one for switching cars often, many of my friends made the statement "you're keeping this one right?" and I of course nodded with a smile. If reliablity holds, I am satisfied with the technology, the luxury, the performance. I am good for years to come.
When I say to my friends or family that this car might be a keeper - I get - they have heard this song before countless times. That being said, my affection for my GT continues to grow and I look forward to driving everyday - although I may add a 1M this summer. As to resale values - you might have noticed that my post on the F10 Forum was received with silence - I had anticipated the usual bashing. I think they must have been really surprised by the Kelly Blue Book trade in value numbers - I know I was. The sales manager at my dealership made an interesting point to me. He said the GT might follow the model of the 5 series touring - a real niche vehicle when new, but strongly in demand as a use car. Whatever....my 550i GT is a great car with an unanticipated bonus - good resale as of today.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
When I say to my friends or family that this car might be a keeper - I get - they have heard this song before countless times. That being said, my affection for my GT continues to grow and I look forward to driving everyday - although I may add a 1M this summer. As to resale values - you might have noticed that my post on the F10 Forum was received with silence - I had anticipated the usual bashing. I think they must have been really surprised by the Kelly Blue Book trade in value numbers - I know I was. The sales manager at my dealership made an interesting point to me. He said the GT might follow the model of the 5 series touring - a real niche vehicle when new, but strongly in demand as a use car. Whatever....my 550i GT is a great car with an unanticipated bonus - good resale as of today.
1M 2002 tii/turbo reborn

Yes I did notice the crickets after you posted the numbers

I'm starting hear that some dealers will only bring in new 550 GT's by order only.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
1M 2002 tii/turbo reborn

Yes I did notice the crickets after you posted the numbers

I'm starting hear that some dealers will only bring in new 550 GT's by order only.
I hope....

...maybe when I finally test drive the 1 M, I will have been corrupted by the power, luxury, and yes,
comfort of my 550i GT....my 335i vert is a quickly fading memory....maybe I am getting old?

PS "....crickets...."

Last edited by Capobranco; 03-04-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I hope....

...maybe when I finally test drive the 1 M, I will have been corrupted by the power, luxury, and yes,
comfort of my 550i GT....my 335i vert is a quickly fading memory....maybe I am getting old?

PS "....crickets...."
Great Image:

The 1M should prove to be a raw little terror. Basically M3 suspension components in a smaller package.

The 2002 was a force to be reckoned with in its day Its also interesting that BMW was using turbos in the early 70's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_2002_turbo_bmw_ag.jpg
Views:	14226
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	268783  

Last edited by car-fan; 03-04-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Great Image:

The 1M should prove to be a raw little terror. Basically M3 suspension components in a smaller package.

The 2002 was a force to be reckoned with in its day Its also interesting that BMW was using turbos in the early 70's.
Your pic makes my heart beat a little faster!
I was privileged to drive a tii for 2 years! (Note - the tii featured mechanical fuel injection,
and was not turbo charged).

Time marches on....I was thinking about driving my tii and the new 1M while I was driving my 550i GT this morning. Obviously, my GT is a very different experience but both are the product of a company whose goal is to deliver driving pleasure. The 550i GT is indeed a BIG BMW... and that is a good thing.

Last edited by Capobranco; 03-04-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Can you say....Kugelfischer?

My very first car was a 1971 (with the round taillights, like in the picture) 2002 (not tii). I wanted that orange but the only car the dealer had in stock was "Riviera Blue". I remember riding with my mother in our other car while my father drove the 2002 back home, down Queens Blvd. He looked over to me at a stoplight and the biggest grin was spread over his face; I think he loved that car more than I did. Even back then he was always complaining how American cars were too big and if they just came out with smaller models people would see how much easier they were to drive. I think a smaller car with a sweet-shifting stick was just what he had in mind.

Ahhh....memories.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=svanil;5892412]Your pic makes my heart beat a little faster!
I was privileged to drive a tii for 2 years! (Note - the tii featured mechanical fuel injection,
and was not turbo charged).

Yes I know, I was commenting on both variants Turbo and tii
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
I drove the Lincoln Mkt, not a bad ride but no comparison to the GT. I also drove a new MDX since we had an older one.... Same thing ten years newer. Also drove an R-Class Mercedes- that was a big disappointment and expensive. Drove a Caddy SRX, not bad but no back seat. One drive in the GT and I was hooked. I also have an Acura RL - have to say Acuras are bulletproof. I have 170K on my MDX and 90 on my RL.. I hope the GT proves to be as bulletproof. I did splurge for extended warranty and maintenance since I have heard BMWs can be expensive to maintain and I tend to keep cars a long while..

Bottom line is if you are tired of an SUV (i am), need a big back seat, want to haul stuff and have fun driving there is no other vehicle, other than maybe a 7 series or S class, that accomplishes this mission.. Granted that mission is not a requirement for everyone, but I for one am glad BMW stepped up.... And did it for less than 6 figures!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: TBD
I didn't notice this older thread, but now that its revived:

Before placing my ED order for a 535GT, I test-drove:

- 535(non-GT). Nice all around, no complaints about it at all.
- Infiniti M45. I had one of these like 6 years ago or so, and was surprised that it had barely changed, and doesn't really have the fun driving experience I wanted.
- Audi A7. Fun to look at, fun to drive, but it felt way smaller inside than a car this size should, and the price didn't seem in-line with the value.
- Audi Q5. Decided SUV wasn't for me, despite my space/cargo needs.
- BMW X5. Nice, but still felt SUV wasn't my vibe, and no Euro Delivery.
- MB CLS. Too expensive for me.

If the newer-generation A6 was available for a drive and shared some charactersitics with the A7, it might have tipped the scales.

Overally, I wasn't aware of the GT at all (went in to drive the 5 & X5), and when I explored it, it was almost as-is it was targeted specifically to my unique needs (3 pax, dog, cargo, hates SUVs & Wagons).
Old 01-25-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 550I GT
Just bought a 2010 550I GT

In 2009, I bought a 2006 750LI.....and loved it. It started to burn oil and I got scared...so I traded it in and bought a new, 2012 Acura MDX. My practical side won out...bad mistake. It was a great car....but BORING! Now, back in a BMW, I feel that the world is good again. I actually enjoy driving again. I am still trying to figure out all of the features but so far so good...and I am one of the few who actually like the looks of this vehicle. Mine is dark graphite and ivory interior, 20 inch wheels and most options. Very nice.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
Can you show some pics? And share the deal you got...if you don't mind. What are the specs on your GT?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 AM

Cars I drove before selecting 550I GT

I have a bad back so riding higher from the road is very appealing. I drove a 2003 Infiniti FX 35 from 03-09....then a 2006 BMW 750 LI (my first BMW) from 09-12, then a 2012 Acura MDX from 2012-2013. My MDX was a great car....but way too boring to drive. I was itching to get back into a BMW. I looked at the X-5, X-6 and 550I GT. I selected the GT as I felt is was the most stylish and versitle car of the group. So far, I have not been disappointed!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
Can you show some pics? And share the deal you got...if you don't mind. What are the specs on your GT?
I can't figure out how to post photos from my iphone. I did send them to my email address. I can forward them to you via email if you want to give me your email address.

I paid $39,990. The car has 18k miles and is dark graphite metalic with ivory interior. It has the following packages: sport, 20' alloy wheels, convenience, camera, cold weather, premium sound, heads up display, ceramic controls and rear entertainment. I am really enjoying it so far.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcowling View Post
I can't figure out how to post photos from my iphone. I did send them to my email address. I can forward them to you via email if you want to give me your email address.

I paid $39,990. The car has 18k miles and is dark graphite metalic with ivory interior. It has the following packages: sport, 20' alloy wheels, convenience, camera, cold weather, premium sound, heads up display, ceramic controls and rear entertainment. I am really enjoying it so far.
you have to allow access to photos. TOok me a while to learn that, but it's not in the bimmer app but in the Settings -> Privacy -> Photos (assuming iPhone)
Old 01-28-2014, 01:28 PM

Smile 550I GT photos

I have added 10 photos to My Garage. If you click on that section of my post, you will see the photos.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcowling View Post
I have added 10 photos to My Garage. If you click on that section of my post, you will see the photos.
Hi Fcowling, nice combo you got! If you have the chance, welcome to share pics in this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=749182

2012 750iAH Mineral White, Oyster Nappa with Fineline Matte Wood trim. Cold, Driver Assistance, Luxury, Instrument panel leather, Sdadowline and BMW Apps.

Retired -
2011 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 PM

back to the topic, there was only one car we test drove/consider before our GT.....the E63 Wagon, monster car with crazy power. Mrs don't like interior and for me the Command system is just difficult to deal with, at the end we were happy to stay within the family.

2012 750iAH Mineral White, Oyster Nappa with Fineline Matte Wood trim. Cold, Driver Assistance, Luxury, Instrument panel leather, Sdadowline and BMW Apps.

Retired -
Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
BMW X3 and X5. Audi Q5 and A7, I was about to test drive the Tesla Model S when, after 3 months of doing nothing, my GT order went into production.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:54 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu910 View Post
back to the topic, there was only one car we test drove/consider before our GT.....the E63 Wagon, monster car with crazy power. Mrs don't like interior and for me the Command system is just difficult to deal with, at the end we were happy to stay within the family.
Ha! I tried to get the better 1/2 to test drive a MB wagon as we were replacing an E39 touring, but she wouldn't even consider a test drive. It came down to GT vs X6 for us and there honestly was no debate considering interior room, amenities and drive characteristics. As much as I appreciated the glove-like cockpit feel and amazingly responsive, tight ride of the X6 we would have not been nearly as comfortable on long road trips.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 550
Once we decided to replace a MB R500, the hunt was on for something that could carry the dogs if needed and we knew we didn't want another wagon. Looked very briefly at the 550 sedan and E wagon. Looked for real at the A7, E60 M5, range rover sport, Q5, XC and X5. Not sure that I was actually close to buying any of them until I stumbled across the GT. Once I realized that they were almost universally unloved and therefore deals were mine to be had both new and used, I was hooked. I never even drove it before buying it.....I knew I loved the F10 550 and figured how different could the GT be with a bit more height, weight and wheelbase.....
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Gone two years+ but I am still living!

I bought my 550i GT for my family. Most of my previous cars have been considerably smaller - at the time, I needed a larger car for my family. I remember being very anxious when I drove my GT home from the dealership - thinking, wow did I ever make a mistake. However, the more I drove the car, the more engaging I found it. My GT was not only a super comfy, utility champ but a car that conquered mountain switchbacks, fast long distance interstates, and or just about anything else with aplomb. The Porsche PanameraS I compared it to felt sterile in comparison. Alas my needs and desires changed (I really feel more at home in a smaller BMW), and my GT departed exactly one year from the day I bought it - I have fond memories of the experience.

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-30-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 PM

Nice to see we got wagon enthusiasts here , BMW NA seriously need to consider to bring the F10 Touring over. It would be handsome if Alpina B5 Touring and/or M5 Touring can reach our shore too. If MB USA can manage limited qty E63 wagon on custom order base, so can BMW NA.

At the mean time F07 is not a bad alternative

Retired -
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
BMW offers lots of things in Germany that they do not offer anywhere else. Considering the way their production line works, if someone was willing to wait for the vehicle with just the options and configuration they wanted, there is no good reason why not unless it affected the crash certification or contravened some of the current laws. This is true of some of the lighting, but I'm not sure what else. It is frustrating, since in Germany, while packages may end up less expensive, you can pick and choose almost any combination of options you wish when ordering a vehicle.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:59 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
BMW offers lots of things in Germany that they do not offer anywhere else. Considering the way their production line works, if someone was willing to wait for the vehicle with just the options and configuration they wanted, there is no good reason why not unless it affected the crash certification or contravened some of the current laws. This is true of some of the lighting, but I'm not sure what else. It is frustrating, since in Germany, while packages may end up less expensive, you can pick and choose almost any combination of options you wish when ordering a vehicle.
I know, right?! It's almost a good thing (at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself) that we don't have real money as I'd buy a residence in Bavarian Alps simply to purchase my perfect combo of options and ship it to US