Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
2004 Z4 Homelink/Mirror Remote?

I have searched the threads but could not find the answer. (Sorry).
I just purchased a 2004 Z4 and the mirror has the 3 button on the bottom of it. Does that mean it is compatible with my garage door opener and can be programmed? Or could the buttons be dummy buttons that dont really work? There is nothing in the owners manual about it at all!

Thanks,
Tim
Allen, Texas
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5, Audi S4, Gallardo
Is there a LED light that comes on when you press the button? If not, it may not be getting power.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
BruceJ

Mein Auto: E30 vert, Z4 Si, 330i
Homelink programming

Homelink programming is pretty standard. Depending on how things are set there are two phases to it. You may only need to perform the first phase, just gotta try phase one and see. But typically with new rolling code GDO's you need to do both. Its not all that hard.

LEGAL Disclaimer that I claim no inherent responsiblilty for the humor or humorlessness of - If your garage door falls on you or something generally bad happens, you soley choose to exercise your free will (my psychic powers have faded with age, and most people have enough heavy metal in their diet to deflect my abilities anyway) and followed this procedure. While I will feel bad, you choose to perform these directions, and I am not liable for your decisions and your general ability to stand on an elevated platform and push two buttons at the same time. By all means though, please make sure there is nothing and no one under the garage door, and of dont do stupid things that will later show up in a Jack A## movie. (Sorry all you ambulance chasers, not today). In any event....
Phase 1:
1. Turn your vehicles ignition to the "Run" (or "accessory") position.
2. Hold the handheld transmitter that already opens and closes the garage door 1 - 3 inches away from the HomeLink buttons in you vehicle (do not block your view of the HomeLink indicator light)
3. Simultaneously press the transmitter button and the HomeLink button you wish to program (you may need two hands). Hold both buttons pressed until the indicator light changes from a slow flash to a rapid flash.
4. Rapid flashing indicates successful programming - Release both buttons previously pressed.
5. Press and hold the newly programmed HomeLink button.
6. If its indicator light is solid (not flashing) your garage door should now activate and you are complete. There is no need for Phase 2
If the indicator light flashes for 2 seconds before turning solid (not flashing) your garage door opener is rolling code technology and you must continue Phase 2 of these instructions.
Phase 2:
1. Locate the "Learn" (or "Smart") Button on the motor-head unit of your garage door opener.(Yep, thats the big motor thing on the ceiling). This button is normally located on the back side, near the hanging wire antenna. Consult your manual for exact location.
2. Fully press and quickly release the "Learn" Button (holding this button pressed for too long will erase all existing transmitters and keypads and they will need to be reprogrammed into the unit)
3. Within 30 seconds of pressing the "Learn" Button, return to the vehicle. Press the desired HomeLink button for 2 second, then release. Repeat this one step up to 3 times.
4. Your Garage door opener should now activate with a single press of the programmed HomeLink button.

If you have a brand new GDO in your house it gets simpler, nothing is programmed. your users manual should give you much abreiviated instructions which are also pretty much what you would use if you wipe out all the codes accidentally.

Have fun

Life's Good!
07 Z4Si - Mods: M front Bumper, Mstache, Alarm, Hardtop Retrofit & Hardtop, mudflaps, windscreen, DaveZ GDO, Intravee II, Gaptech Remote +, Diet hamburgers and a Fat steering wheel.

03 330i - Mods: MTechII front Bumper, 142K and rollin!
88 & 89 E30 Verts
Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Thanks guys. I will try and see what happens?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Let me add that if you have an older garage door opener it may not be compatible. That was my situation. Called the manufacturer and they had a "module" which could be installed. It then worked.