Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Just a reminder to all that end up doing this, When you do it, that is the time to add the footwell light kit or the euro wiper control or both from leatherz.com
you will only want to remove these panels once so you should do all you can do when there removed

Last edited by 01silber; 01-17-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
The drivers side in black was in the NA system.
51 45 8 410 423 $95.00 retail.
I ordered one to see what it looks like. Since I'm always doing things on the car I thought it also might be easier to remove and install. It was supposed to arrive at the dealer yesterday, but didn't. They expected it today, but I didn't check. Will post some pics when it shows up.

The passenger side in black has been added to the NA system.
51 45 8 399 928 $184.00 retail.
I did not order one since I'm using the space in the current glovebox. It's also not a knee room issue. I have no problems with a rattling glove box. I have the Walmarts stick on foam inside and on the back. All seams in the back have been hot glued.
Most important thing on the glove box is to engage the lower support bracket when installing it. This is not mentioned in the repair info and is probably skipped by many.
Ron,
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about engaging the "lower support bracket" when installing it. Where is the lower support bracket you're referring to? I've had mine in and out numerous times and it still rattles. I was thinking the only solution was the angle iron fix documented elsewhere. I'd much rather re-check for the lower support bracket. Direction here will be greatly appreciated.

Dwayne
'14 X1 M sport 3.5 Alpine White
'91 M5 Jet Black
'01 M3 Alpine White
Old 01-18-2004, 01:24 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
Ron,
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about engaging the "lower support bracket" when installing it. Where is the lower support bracket you're referring to? I've had mine in and out numerous times and it still rattles. I was thinking the only solution was the angle iron fix documented elsewhere. I'd much rather re-check for the lower support bracket. Direction here will be greatly appreciated.
Dwayne
It's actually two. One on each side that the glove box lower edge slides into. If you remove the lower flat panel you can see how yours are.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Perryinva
Mein Auto: 99 2.3 Z3, 99 528i
Ron, you are so right about the lower support!!

I'll bet the VAST majority just force the black 1/4 turn screws in to hold it, without engaging the 2 metal flaps, and they actually do the most supporting to the GB assembly. I never thought to mention it to anyone. I looked into the extra metal angle reinforcement, and concluded that does not solve the problem but may help. I used RTV on all my seams instead on hot glue, but the real support issue is the attachment above and below. I used typical car speaker mouting screw clips and added 2 more screws to the upper attachment point of the GB to the upper dash, and that, along with the RTV of the existing metal strip to stiffen it a bit, prevent the sag issue and make the box feel solid. As you also point out, leg room is a non issue, and you get a smaller GB, which does look better, tho.

99 2.3 Z3
99 528i
Old 01-23-2004, 03:07 PM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
I haven't checked with anyone else yet, but did inquire on the Crevier parts counter forum over on Roadfly about the part numbers supplied by Ron S. Except for the beige Euro glovebox, they have the parts on backorder. The prices do look pretty good for the black pieces.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...4535234&page=1
Old 01-23-2004, 03:42 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcoston
I haven't checked with anyone else yet, but did inquire on the Crevier parts counter forum over on Roadfly about the part numbers supplied by Ron S. Except for the beige Euro glovebox, they have the parts on backorder. The prices do look pretty good for the black pieces.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...4535234&page=1
The black drivers side one that I ordered shipped today. I should have it by next Wednesday. Will see if it fits and post some pics.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:38 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
The black drivers side one that I ordered shipped today. I should have it by next Wednesday. Will see if it fits and post some pics.
The Euro drivers side arrived today. It's like the upper dash and not covered like the NA one. I'll sell the Euro one that I have for $60.00 plus shipping.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Im here

Well dammit,
Ron thank you for looking into this and footing the bill, If you have'nt sold it in a few days please let me know if you have not found a buyer for it, Ill send some funds either way, you took the risk and Im not going to let it be all on you
Old 01-28-2004, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
Well dammit,
Ron thank you for looking into this and footing the bill, If you have'nt sold it in a few days please let me know if you have not found a buyer for it, Ill send some funds either way, you took the risk and Im not going to let it be all on you

I'll help too as I would've also wondered about the pieces and might have purchased them.

Dwayne
'14 X1 M sport 3.5 Alpine White
'91 M5 Jet Black
'01 M3 Alpine White
Old 01-28-2004, 08:33 PM
///M Practical

I'm also willing to chip in if necessary. It's disappointing that the Euro piece is just smooth plastic. Just wondering, Ron does it look like the Euro version is a one-piece replacement for the NA version?
Old 01-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Im here

Since we are on the subject now, Anyone wanting to chip in can pm Ron for his paypal addy < I do not want to assume I can post it here
I realize he has not asked anyone so I am not speaking for him, but I do not think he will mind if we chip in to help cover the cost of these projects that he does and has done for us all
this is a small price to pay, we could all be looking at euro dash panels in our living rooms right now with a frown on our face, Hey who was the jackass that started this thread
Old 01-29-2004, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: //M Coupes
If it's not already gone - DIBS!

Jon / Andy - what would it cost me to cover this in leather?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: '01 330Ci
I have a question: what goes in the rectangular opening on the Euro panel? A light assembly, perhaps?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannO

Jon / Andy - what would it cost me to cover this in leather?
How is the air vent attached? Is it heat stalked in place? If it is, it'd have to be cut off and Devcon-welded back on. Easy to leather that shape though. Might be able to get away without a vaccuum bag. Everything depends on the leather quality customer specifies, but figure $40 for labor. Leather/alcantara/vinyl is anywhere form $1 - $15 per square foot.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 01-30-2004, 09:06 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR
I have a question: what goes in the rectangular opening on the Euro panel? A light assembly, perhaps?
Don't know. Probably alarm related. The beige one had a alarm and non alarm part number. The black one didn't that I could find.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:08 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
How is the air vent attached? Is it heat stalked in place?
Yes.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:09 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannO
You have dibs.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:00 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcoston
Just wondering, Ron does it look like the Euro version is a one-piece replacement for the NA version?
Yes. You have to remove two plastic brackest up top. They are held in place with screws into body (speed) nuts. Two left of the wheel and one right of the wheel.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 02-04-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
So resurrecting this thread from the dead. Its only been a solid 7 years.

I am in the process of attempting this install, and I am starting to think its not going to happen.

In the last 7 years I have obtained the Euro Glove Box, the Euro drivers side under-panel spoken of here in this thread that has since gone to Leather Z and been done up in leather and has been collecting dust for I can't imagine how many years.

And to add true Irony, I am attempting to install it on DannO's car, which is mine also at this point.

The brackets that attach the crash supports to the frame on the US cars appear to be blocking the Euro box from being installed.

In this picture you can see the two flat pieces welded to the cross bar/beam or whatever. Those are what the US brackets bolt to and hold the US glove-box in place.

In this picture you can see the Euro Glove box looking down. On both sides those brackets are rubbing against the box preventing it from seating into place.

I am thinking that I may have to trim the glove box with a dremel to get it to fit.

It pains me to think of cutting on a brand new $200 part, but I am not sure I want to make the glove-box modification permanent either.

Regardless, it will be a definitive fix to the glove box rattle issue.

I also have the drivers side panel that was being discussed previously in this thread...

It actually turned out pretty good.

1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.

Last edited by Mpire; 02-22-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:52 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Anyways, to conclude this thread...

I ended up having to trim some of the plastic off the glovebox to make it fit. I then added some 1/2 inch foam insulation to quiet it all down a bit. You don't really notice where I trimmed the box.

It looks good, doesn't squeak or droop, and the storage capacity is right up there with the regular boxes.

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM
///M Practical

Looks good. Are you also going to install the driver's side panel?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM
The Anti-Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcoston View Post
Looks good. Are you also going to install the driver's side panel?
First covered in nappa leather, then installed.

Talk about overkill.

Sunroofs are for girls.