Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 Z4MC; 02 MDX
Z4 Noisy exhaust

Just installed the Diablo exhaust mufflers from Rogue Engineering.

Beautiful product. Quality fabrication. Sexy slanted staggered 80mm tips. Good fit.

The sound above 4k RPM is great. Wow.

Buttttt at idle and cruising there's a level of droning and booming inside the car that I personally find unacceptable.

I've tried recording it, but the sound doesn't come out right on the camcorder.

Is there any way to quiet this down? For example, by inserting/welding some 4" round Magnaflow resonators into the end of the X-pipe. And would extra resonators even get rid of the drone?

Maybe I'm imagining things, but it seems like there may be room for some 4" resonators above the long gray flat "control arms (?)". Any opinions?

Do other aftermarket exhausts have the same increase in drone and booming? Is this just something I have to accept if I want free flow exhaust?

---Michael

For sale (2007 Z4 M Coupe parts): Remus mufflers, KW V3 coilovers (rears only), stock coilovers (front only), stock rims, stock emerg. kit, stubby, and ESS tune (supposedly only works on my car, but if you know how to tinker, i dunno, might be useful to you).

Last edited by cmichaelo; 02-14-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: lexus SC400
I have Supersprints Race Cans with X-Pipe! There are drone around 2800-3000 rpm so i just learned not to stay in that range too long. I think adding resonators will help but then it might restrict the flow (and what the point of having after market cans. I added some sound deadening material in the trunk but did not have a change to test it out (the car is in hypernation now).
Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 PM

The stock X-pipe is already restricted near the rear mufflers in that the pipe opening has been crimped for some reason. On top of my head, the crimped section may have a flow corresponding to a 2" pipe. But I have not measured it carefully yet.

So my thought was to replace the crimped section with resonators, in either 2" or 2 1/4" piping. That might even increase the flow a little bit or keep it close to what it already is.

From looking at this crimped section, it does not look like the crimping was done for clearance reasons. It might have been done for HP reasons.

---M

For sale (2007 Z4 M Coupe parts): Remus mufflers, KW V3 coilovers (rears only), stock coilovers (front only), stock rims, stock emerg. kit, stubby, and ESS tune (supposedly only works on my car, but if you know how to tinker, i dunno, might be useful to you).

Last edited by cmichaelo; 02-14-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM

Someone mentioned that inserting "perforated tubing" into the exhaust may help to reduce drone.

Perforated tubing is available from several places and looks like this:

I was thinking to get a 3" piece of tube and then cut two pieces to size so they fit nicely inside the exhaust tips. Then polish the ends down so they become razor sharp so that once they are inserted, it looks like they are a part of the exhaust tip.

To get them to stay inside the tips, I was thinking to cut the tubes open along the length axis of them so they act like a spring. Then insert them with the cut opening at 12 o'clock so it's not visible from the outside, unless you're on the ground looking up into the exhaust tips.

Btw, the Stromung exhaust tips come with these perforated tubings pre-installed as part of the exhaust:

It adds a pro look to the exhaust as well, IMO.

One could possibly install these tubes elsewhere in the exhaust, e.g. at the very end of the X-pipe and in the input pipe to the mufflers...just to see if there's any benefit. It will of course add some restriction, but since the X-pipe is already crimped quite a bit, and which probably poses the main restriction after the secondary cats, this should make no difference.

Does anyone have experiences with this perforated tubing?

---Michael

Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 ///M Roadster
See this post for one solution that uses perforated tubing:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=27

Photo Gallery here

Last edited by cmsnow@pacbell.; 02-15-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: wording clarification
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelo View Post
Btw, the Stromung exhaust tips come with these perforated tubings pre-installed as part of the exhaust:
Do you have these? Any thoughts on sound, construction etc?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Do you have these? Any thoughts on sound, construction etc?
I do not. Vaguely thinking about it.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsnow@pacbell. View Post
See this post for one solution that uses perforated tubing:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=27
That is the kind of solution I would be interested in checking out. Aside from getting rid of the drone, did it reduce overall the loudness at low RPMs ?

Btw, are the X-pipes, whether stock or aftermarket, made in 2 1/2" tubing? I've been too lazy to go measure yet...

Last edited by cmichaelo; 02-16-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM

I did some poking around...again...on exhaust systems. Seems that Remus is the most quiet. I think that just may be for my taste since I don't really like it loud.

Was also wondering about the Eisenmann Sport system. I'm confused about how this system actually looks. On one website the pics of the system was a single muffler positioned in the left rear side and with a long slim pipe branching out to the right side tailpipe. That can't be true???

And does anyone know how much louder the Eisenmann Sport is compared to stock?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: Z4MR
Yes, the pipes seem to be 21/2". The Vortex cones seem to only come in 3" or larger that I can find.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Rad Racer World Champion

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupé (S.Bronze)
Having heard several aftermarket exhausts on the Z4M in real life, I prefer the RE Diablo. RE sells an x-pipe that's supposed to compliment the Diablos and minimize drone. Think it actually works? http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu.../E85MZ4XP.html

Are there more affordable x-pipe solutions out there?

'08 Z4 M Coupé Sepang Bronze, Black/Black, Madeira Wood, CDV delete // 49th from End of Production

Last edited by aestheticstorm; 02-27-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Drove around with the Diablo mufflers a little bit more. Just too loud for me. I could never get used to it. So I ordered the Remus mufflers instead and installed them over the weekend.

And voila! I can now hear myself thinking again while driving.

At idle and low rpm, there's a little increase in throatyness. Just to my liking. Above 4k rpm, the exhaust has become more "raw" but again without being loud. Just a bit more raw. I love it. Perfect for me.

While under the car I took a closer look at the X-pipe. It's not 2 1/2" as I thought. It's 2 1/4". Further, immediately after the cross-over section, the pipes get crimped. This crimping lasts all the way to the mufflers. My guess is this crimping effectively results in the flow of a 2 1/8" pipe. I think this crimping was done on purpose to keep the gases moving through the last section of the X-pipe. There's plenty of flow in this section to accomodate up to 400HP considering that the gases are not that hot in the X-pipe section.

I also inspected the perforated inlet pipes in the stock and Remus mufflers. They are only 2". Again, this should be more than sufficient, even for a heavily modified car, considering how cold the gases are at the muffler.

Interestingly, the Remus muffler and the stock muffler seem to be of the same construction, sort of like the Superprint powerloop mufflers, is the best way I can describe it. Supposedly, the Remus has better routing, or flow, than the stock since Remus claims a 35-85% reduction in back pressure (compared to stock I assume). The 35% I could believe. 85%, not so believable.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much $ a stock X-pipe is? I'm plotting to get a spare one and replace the resonator with regular pipe, just to get some more growl from the exhaust. It might be cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust. And I'm convinced that I don't need the extra flow of the aftermarket X-pipes.

Diablos for sale... Or is that a no no in this forum?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelo View Post

Diablos for sale... Or is that a no no in this forum?
We (JonM and I) are pretty lenient when it comes to Z specific parts for sale being posted, but sometimes it will get moved by an admin.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Glad you like the Remus- based on online clips, I like the Eisenmann Sport, SS Powerloop and Remus in that order. But the first two are too much $$ for 2 cans IMHO.

Based on past experience, I have found that straight through cans are loud and drony. The only way to quieten them is to remove and replace. Had a Remus on my GTI VR6 for a few years and loved the sound.
Euro headers w/relocated sensors|RPI scoop|K&N panel filter|KW V3s|OEM Strut Brace|RE RSMs|Zeckhausen CDV|SpeedBleeders|Stoptech Brake Lines|StopTech 4-pot BBK all around|SSR GT2-H 19x8.5/19x10|Potenza RE-11s
Texas Mile (March, 2010): 155.4 mph
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 AM

Pal, so how would you rate the loudness of the three mufflers you mentioned?

I've heard twice in postings that the Remus is probably the quietest aftermarket muffler, while still being a little louder than stock.

RPI I've seen reported as being the loudest.

So where do the Powerloop and Eisenman fall wrt RPI, Diablo and Remus?

---M