Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
Which cylinder is number 5? Engine misfire

About a month ago I pulled my car from the driveway into the garage. The next morning when I started the car it the engine was shaking like crazy and the check engine light came on.

I read/reset the code with my cheapie code reader and it was "cylinder 5 misfire". The next time I started the car it ran fine.

Last night I pulled the car in from the driveway and into the garage. My wife started it this morning and she said it was running rough/shaking again. This time it corrected itself after a few seconds and no check engine light came on.

I'm assuming I probably either have a bad plug, bad coil, or leaky gasket that is fouling the plug. I tempted to pull the plug and take a peak. Would number 5 cylinder be the second from the front of the car, or the rear (firewall side)?
Ads by Google
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
Number 5 would be second from the back. Number one almost always is closest to the radiator. I would almost risk saying this is always the case but no doubt there is an exception out there somewhere.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
I'm assuming I probably either have a bad plug, bad coil, or leaky gasket that is fouling the plug.
I wouldn't bother about pulling that #5 plug.

Starting a car up to just move it in or out of your garage can cause the engine management computer to get confused.
It's more likely that plug got wet with gas, not oil, which is why it can clear itself quite quickly.

Even if you are in the habit of doing that driveway shuffle, this can happen randomly.
Dealerships are familiar with it from having to start cars up to just move them a few feet.
Happens even to the reliable Japanese brands.
Some makes and models are completely immune to it, but I have heard that BMW is somewhat susceptible.

See:
http://bmwauto.ottawa.on.ca/bmw-m5/b...de-806716.html

(I don't think the wash itself has anything to do with it - just the very short run cycle.)

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...hp?f=5&t=85150

See how it goes over the next while, especially if you are able to avoid those short run cycles.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
When I do that with my BMWs, they all do the same thing. Its normal. They dont like to be started and shut off in a short span of time.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 PM

thanks for the responses. Both times I had pulled the car in after doing some maintenance work on my Acura MDX in the garage. I was thinking the X3 was getting jealous of the extra attention the MDX was getting
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Maybe the X3 is feeling awkward wearing those new Yokohama tires.

Even though those Envigors are made in a U.S. plant. (Don't forget to give us an updated review on them sometime.)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 AM

The envigor's are great - I like them a lot. They handle just as well as the scorpians and are extremely quit on the highway. The only negative is that they can be a little tricky in the snow/ice
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
On the original topic, I always let my engine come off high idle and settle down before moving/driving.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Cool Stuff

Mein Auto: Mopars, BMWs
My E36 had this problem. Actually, if you turned it on and shut it off quickly it would not start. You had to crank it and keep feathering the throttle to get it to start. It would run like crap for a few minutes. This only happened a couple times before I stopped doing that.

My friend who is a BMW indie said it was a "cold start lock". I don't know if such terminology exists.

However, after my experience with the E36, I don't start any car, run it for a few moments and then shut it off.

Last edited by OMNI-Potent; 03-09-2011 at 02:19 PM.