Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
In the BMW I can feel the brakes. It's almost like a grinding feel and there seems to be a sound associated with it. Maybe the sound is in my head and being sent there by the bottom of my foot feeling the grinding, or whatever the feel is. It's hard to describe.
BMW brakes are silent with no vibe/grind on dry pavement. Should be glass smooth, but yes, has good feel. Can a bit abrupt modulating near full stop.

Could be antilock on black ice, one side as you mention it pulls. Or that car has a problem!

Interested in what it turns out to be....
Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i
I ultimately chose a 335i over a 328, an S4 or a C300. I love my MT and did not cope well the few days I had an AT 328 for a weekend (I kept reaching for the clutch). All my cars are MT.

You can find the manual at BMWUSA but do need to enter the last several digits of the cars VIN.

Tires - 245 not staggered for cars w/o sport pkg, 245 front 255 rear for sport. Looks like the one you are testing does not have sport pkg so 245 all around.
Oil gauge - This is the oil temperature rather than pressure gauge. It will rise more slowly than a coolant temp.
Leather - Premium pkg upgrades std leatherette to Dakota leather. So reading the features/options on the car they are listing the standard items after the option pkgs.

I only have RWD w/ sport pkg and have not had any trouble in the snow running dedicated snow tires. Although I must confess I did not have to work on our worst snow day. I have had no trouble backing up my driveway into the garage at all and it is a noticable hill.

Good luck deciding.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
The only grinding feeling from the brake pedal is when I hit it hard enough to activate the anti-lock system. Today was such a day when traveling at about 70-75mph on the interstate the guy in the lane next to me decided that atoms could actually merge with no negative consequences. I disagreed with his theory and stood on the brakes to allow ********* from the other lane to have the space I would have soon occupied and it saved some bent sheet metal and probably a total PITA. The person in the lane on the other side likely pissed the seats in his panel van when I stood on the horn and swerved while rapidly decelerating. This is the second time the excellent handling and braking ability of the car have saved my biscuits.

Last edited by johnc_22; 02-26-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
BMW Owner's Manuals: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebio99 View Post
You can find the manual at BMWUSA but do need to enter the last several digits of the cars VIN.
VIN is not necessary.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 02-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335ix Sedan
SD.

Thanks for the link.
Very helpful info.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Can't find an owner's manual in the car. Drat the luck. I guess they'll give me one if I buy the car.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx
Here is a link to the BMWUSA owners manual site. Using the tabs across the top, find your model year. Once it indexes, you can cross reference by model and download the appropriate pdf. Good reading for Sunday morning for you. With the candidate available to you this should help much in decoding its capabilities.

Cheers!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
The only grinding feeling from the brake pedal is when I hit it hard enough to activate the anti-lock system. Today was such a day when traveling at about 70-75mph on the interstate the guy in the lane next to me decided that atoms could actually merge with no negative consequences. I disagreed with his theory and stood on the brakes to allow ********* from the other lane to have the space I would have soon occupied and it saved some bent sheet metal and probably a total PITA. The person in the lane on the other side likely pissed the seats in his panel van when I stood on the horn and swerved while rapidly decelerating. This is the second time the excellent handling and braking ability of the car have saved my biscuits.
Excellent prose, sir.

Har dee har har har!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Excellent prose, sir.

Har dee har har har!
I tend to blather when I've been drinking.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
My dealer sells his loaners as CPO so I would ask why this one isn't a CPO. As far as the loaner being abused the dealer should keep the maintenance up to date and have the records to prove it. It he doesn't I would not buy it. As far as the car being "stomped on" that is what the N54 is designed for so I would rather have one that has been rung out early in its life so if anything is going to break it will do so early while still under warranty.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I live in KC and would advise that you get xdrive. I bought a CPO 330i E90 2 years ago and thought I could get by with just snow tires. While the snow tires help a LOT, there are times when I just have to get to work and the plows haven't been out and I really really wish I had xdrive. There may only be 10-14 really bad days out of the winter, but unless you have another 4wd you can drive I would recommend the xdrive.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth

Last edited by JŠnos; 02-28-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
Quote:
Also, I thought these cars came with automatic headlight dimming. Perhaps there is an actuation process that I need to go through in order for that to work? If I turn the brights on, they just stay on regardless of what's in front of me. Is there something I need to do to activate it?
Auto headlight dimming (of the high beams) is an option, which this car does not seem to have. There is an 'Auto Headlight Control' feature however, that turns the headlights on automatically at dusk or in dark areas. The headlight switch needs to be turned to the left, where the icon shows an "A". When it is engaged an LED on the switch is illuminated whenever the lights turn on. See this BMW video.

Quote:
When I change stations, the song plays the first five or six notes, then plays them again and continues on from there.
It sounds as if you are in an area that has spotty reception and the signal is being buffered. I don't have satellite radio so don't know what your options are. With HD radio you can turn off HD reception if the signal is weak. I haven't noticed such a long delay with HD radio, only an occasional echo.

Quote:
The bolster or lumbar control circle at the front part of the seat controls. There are four arrows: top, bottom, front, back. What do they do?
Seat adjustments video. The front/back arrows adjust the forward and back movement of the lumbar support (for more or less support) and the up/down buttons move the support up or down.

You might want to check a few other BMWs to see if there are any other options you later might regret not having, such as iDrive/navigation (some people like it, others don't) or the Sport Package etc.

Do make sure you get a user manual from the dealer if you buy the car. You can find the manual online but it is handy to have it with you in the car.

Last edited by JŠnos; 02-28-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335ix Sedan
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I returned the 335i this afternoon, after driving it Sunday and Monday. Although the car is a step up from my 2001 Lexus (simply from old to new) it's not exactly what I'm wanting. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but there are a few little things that I don't like. I'm figuring that if I'm going to spend that kind of cash, I need a car that I'm really in love with. This one has power, but there seems to be a bit of a hesitation between stepping on it and the turbo engaging. I'm familiar with "turbo lag" but this is something different. In fact, it happens when you take off at a normal acceleration from a stop. Not sure if it's valve timing or what the issue is, but something just seems off. Also, I'm thinking I actually DO want the Sport Package. I sat in a couple of 335 models with the sport seats, and I really liked the feel of them. I told the salesman the options I was wanting and asked him to keep his eyes open for something that would meet those specs.

So, as of tonight, there's no deal in the works. But that could change tomorrow if the salesman finds something.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
The hesitation is probably due to the DSC kicking in. I had the same problem when I accelerated hard until I figured out how to turn it off. As far as turbo lag goes, I can't notice any with my 335. I read somewhere that eliminating turbo lag was one of the design goals for the N54.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Drive a manual. As good as the auto is, I find all of them stumble a little bit when starting off. The manual had no such issues. While there is some slight turbo lag in the engine, it's not bad at all.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
Thanks, Kat. I like the idea of the automatic high beams. This car is supposed to have rain-sensing wipers too, along with self-drying brakes and headlight washers. Stuff I never knew I needed.
I had auto high beams on a 535i that I sold. Did not like them, because it seems they would always turn on at the wrong times and blind people. Especially going around bends at night, etc. cool, but unnecessary.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Esq. View Post
Don't buy a loaner, executive test model, or showroom car. They get beaten the hell out of.

Honestly, i wouldn't even buy a former lease.
I disagree, I bought an executive car, 325i, a few years ago and it never had one problem. My new 2008 335i has had too many to list
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i (regretfully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheDragon View Post
I'd start with KBB private party, subtract $4-5k for the fact it's a loaner...
Yeah, you have good luck with that
Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 View Post
The hesitation is probably due to the DSC kicking in. I had the same problem when I accelerated hard until I figured out how to turn it off. As far as turbo lag goes, I can't notice any with my 335. I read somewhere that eliminating turbo lag was one of the design goals for the N54.
+1

The car has so much torque that DSC intervenes all the time, even under, say, half throttle, off the line.

Go into DTC mode and things should be much better.