Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0SI
Corrosion issue with SRS airbag

well this should prove to be interesting i have just experienced an electrical problem similar to earlier posts with SRS airbag warning light coming on intermitently and losing auto sense wipers and auto head lights refusing to turn off along with seat belt alarm failing.
if its corrosion on termianls they cannot acuse me of leaving the roof down as mine is a coupe. so im hoping its covered under warranty, my dealers been pretty good in that regard
Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0SI
Well according to the Auto shop it was my ignition switch and that cost $744.25 to check and replace as warranty was up
Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
DROZ3

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 / 2006 X3
AC, this may sound stupid but did you try cleaning the male and female contact with some Deoxit electrical contact cleaner ?
If the module has not been damaged by the water but only the contacts are affected, maybe you don't need to replace the module but just clean the contacts.

Z3 2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut/Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering RSM/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade.
Latest mod : 3.73 diff. ... WOW
X3 2006 3.0L Automatic, Silver Gray, all original ... so far ...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: NY
Rain wreaks havoc on Z4

After looking through multiple forums, it looks like I am the latest victim to fall prey to airbag control unit failure after rain incident.

Problems:
Shortly after a rain delay at my son's baseball game I realized I had left my 2003 z4 top down.

Symptom #1: Car started up fine but noticed Pass Airbag Off light was on during de home.
Symptom #2: Top down function does not work, SRS airbag light on dash, radio controls work but no volume, turn signals work but indicator does not, and remote intermittently works for locks & trunk.

Solution:
It appears that I need to replace the airbag control unit located under rear section of the center console. (under coin holder).

Questions:

1) Any tips on replacing the unit? pictures, procedures, gotchas, etc.
2) Disconnect neg side of batter 1st I assume, correct? Reconnect after airbag control unit replacement.
3) Previous posts indicate that you need to take to BMW dealer to program/clear the airbag indicator. Any workarounds or tips to do it yourself?
4) Tips on where to find quality part for best price?

Note to self:
Do not leave top down in the rain ......

Thanks!!
Rick