Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1995 E36 318i
Question Looking for Specific Head Unit/Stereo

G'day all!

I was speaking to my auto-elec last night and he seems to think that the sound output from my E36 '95 (6 speaker setup =[ ) would sound 10x better with a better head-unit / stereo,...what are your thoughts on that?

If I am to get one, I'd like a few must have options; any ideas on which head unit to get?

\\ Amber, closest to OEM (obviously,...haha)
\\ iPhone 4 Connectivity for music via rear output
\\ EXCELLENT audio quality/higher end brand
\\ Posibility to connect iPhone 4 via Bluetooth for hands free calls.

Thanks heaps guys!
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM

No ideas, at all..? =[
Old 03-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Is a real boy

Mein Auto: White 1997 328i
Not exactly same color as our interiors and doesn't have Bluetooth (as far as I can tell)

Kenwood Stereo

It's hard to find a stereo with everything you want that doesn't break the bank. Best of luck with finding a good unit
Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 E36
My stock radio was pretty much gone and went aftermarket, and I have to say it sounds really good and I still have all stock speakers. I'm not an audiophile but here is what I got I believe it fits all your specs and is around mid range price. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...specifications. The only thing is its blue when lit up.

Last edited by earthduzt; 03-06-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
Pioneer makes the best decks IMO.

Will do everything you want and more except for the whole color thing.
You canít spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 AM

Hmm,..what about those other brands out there like blaupunkt, denon, eclipse, nakamichi, etc..? Anybody have/used them?

I like the idea of pioneer, kenwood, sony, etc. but from what I've heard, is that they are mediocre to some of the above brands, esp with colour and audio quality.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 AM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
I don't know mate. Seams like no one wants a stereo to match the interior lights, it's all about the blue LEDs, the PO of my car put a nice Alpine head unit in it, but if I'm driving on the interstate at night it's more comfortable to flip the faceplate open so the stupid blue and green lights aren't blinding me. I'm thinking about building my own system with a touch screen hooked up to a computer and than just hook up a CD drive, GPS antenna, and what have you to USB ports

Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_trail View Post
I don't know mate. Seams like no one wants a stereo to match the interior lights, it's all about the blue LEDs, the PO of my car put a nice Alpine head unit in it, but if I'm driving on the interstate at night it's more comfortable to flip the faceplate open so the stupid blue and green lights aren't blinding me. I'm thinking about building my own system with a touch screen hooked up to a computer and than just hook up a CD drive, GPS antenna, and what have you to USB ports
You make an excellent point Miles, I find it strange why people don't care about matching their head unit w/their interior..seems to me like it almost defeats the purpose. If it's a really really good head unit, then the least it could do is match your interior.
I'd go as far to say that not having the colours match, detracts from the overall appearance..how would you build your own system and integrate it?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
My plan is this,

First, there is not enough space for a 7" screen, there are multiple solutions such as moving the OBC down into the empty space in front of the gear selector and move the climate control down to where the OBC. My plan is to put the climate control where the OBC is, but I want to relocate the OBC to where the dome lights are above the rear view mirror, I think it will look sweet as.

As for the system, I figure one of these cheap ****ty computers is a good place to start, hook it up to one of these touch screens. I'm planning to mount the screen so it can fold down and I can mount a CD drive, media card hub, Ipod hookup, etc in the dash behind it, and than all of the above would connect back to the netbook. I would also hook up a USB FM tuner and GPS antenna, maybe a camera for insurance purposes. To connect it all to the speakers, I would use a USB sound card, since the sound card in that computer is probably ****, and than just hook that up to the amp. I figure about $400-$500 for a sweet as, and virtually infinitely expandable system. I figure that down the line I will probably add features like oil temp/ pressure and if I ever get around to boosting the car, I figure the computer will keep track of that as well so I don't have to mess with extra gauges and knobs

Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1993 325i 4dr
OP if you were looking for good SQ I would go with a nakamichi or an eclipse radio. They have about the best sound processors in them and they blend in very well.

Also bimmerforums.com has a very active sound forum with a lot of good info as well as here.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Sounds like a great idea Miles, but tbh, I couldn't really be bothered doing that much work..haha

I'll check out bimmerforums and take a further looking into eclipse and naka, cheers TnT
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 AM

Seems like I've stumbled across the Eclipse Eclipse CD7200 MkII, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on that?
Or where I could pick one up? Seems like they are pretty rare these days..
Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: E36 325i
Hi Ya,

I upgraded recently to a JVC head unit. Has aux input, USB connection front and rear ( It comes with a blue tooth adaptor that I connected to the USB in the rear for hands free phone ).
Sounds awesome and you can change the colour of the text on screen to any colour including amber :-)

I'm a few thousand km's from home right now so I can't tell you the exact model but I'll have a look when I get back home.

Cheers