Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Is it litre or liter?

Mein Auto: 02 325i/ 03 X5 3.0 5sp
Gonna change my X5 oil after break-in!

Yup.

Bought me 8 quarts of BMW stuff and the filter.
Stealer charged around 35 bucks.
Get her up on ramps.
Change the oil, then let'er rip! Can't wait.

P.S. What would you do? Change it at around 1000 miles before taking a 600 mile round trip, or do it after, at 1600-1700 miles?
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2003, 12:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masskrug
Yup.

Bought me 8 quarts of BMW stuff and the filter.
Stealer charged around 35 bucks.
Get her up on ramps.
Change the oil, then let'er rip! Can't wait.

P.S. What would you do? Change it at around 1000 miles before taking a 600 mile round trip, or do it after, at 1600-1700 miles?
All depends on how dirty your oil is... Are you planning to keep the car for awhile? If so you might also want to send a small sample of your oil for some analysis just for kicks.. blackstone.com
Old 07-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Is it litre or liter?

All right! Done! At 1187 miles. Actually used up all 8 quarts I bought.

Great to have all that dialogue with fellow X5 enthusiasts!

The metal shield that guards the engine block underneath is a PITA. Yeah, its got a little flapperoo that you lower down to get to the drain bolt, but the shield collects all the oil that dribbles down towards the end of the draining process. Then its dribbles oil all over your garage, driveway, etc. Sucks.

If anyone has a solution, please post!
Old 07-27-2003, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
All right! Done! At 1187 miles. Actually used up all 8 quarts I bought.

Great to have all that dialogue with fellow X5 enthusiasts!

The metal shield that guards the engine block underneath is a PITA. Yeah, its got a little flapperoo that you lower down to get to the drain bolt, but the shield collects all the oil that dribbles down towards the end of the draining process. Then its dribbles oil all over your garage, driveway, etc. Sucks.

If anyone has a solution, please post!
Cat litter, absorption, then removal?
Old 07-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Is it litre or liter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick330i
Cat litter, absorption, then removal?
Well, I did clean up the dribbles. But there will be more to come over the next few days. PITA.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried to change their oil and found a better solution to PREVENTING the oil from dribbling onto the shield. I guess a funnel would be the best solution as the flow begins to subside.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:00 PM
iPod and XM enabled

Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Well, I did clean up the dribbles. But there will be more to come over the next few days. PITA.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried to change their oil and found a better solution to PREVENTING the oil from dribbling onto the shield. I guess a funnel would be the best solution as the flow begins to subside.
oil extractor?
http://www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil/

I assume (but don't know if) this would work with an X5.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:20 PM
Is it litre or liter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquetel
oil extractor?

Old fashioned. edit: me, not the extractor.

I think (but cannot prove) the old drain method removes more dependent particulate matter. Plus it lets me get a good look underneath the car to spot any trouble early.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
The old drain sucks, but it does work well (and gets you under there noticing things).

My 4Runner also had shields that collected and dripped. Even my Passat has tons of aero-plastic shields that drip for days. I cannot get around the issue either.

Oh, as far as my X5 goes, I am only changing the oil every 15,000 miles. The filter will go every 7,500 (I just changed it last month). Synthetic is pretty durable stuff, and my X5 never really sees a workout anyway.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Is it litre or liter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
The old drain sucks, but it does work well (and gets you under there noticing things).

My 4Runner also had shields that collected and dripped. Even my Passat has tons of aero-plastic shields that drip for days. I cannot get around the issue either.

Oh, as far as my X5 goes, I am only changing the oil every 15,000 miles. The filter will go every 7,500 (I just changed it last month). Synthetic is pretty durable stuff, and my X5 never really sees a workout anyway.
I know that the color of the oil is not indicator of its protective ability, but at 1100 miles, boy, the oil was DIRTY LOOKING.

Plus, I swear there was particulate matter at the bottom of the milk jugs I put the oil into for recycling. Can't prove it though. Maybe I should've saved some and sent it into Blackstone.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:25 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
I know that the color of the oil is not indicator of its protective ability, but at 1100 miles, boy, the oil was DIRTY LOOKING.

Plus, I swear there was particulate matter at the bottom of the milk jugs I put the oil into for recycling. Can't prove it though. Maybe I should've saved some and sent it into Blackstone.
Yup, that way you'd have a really good history of the engine's use from new.

I just had mine done for the 1st time (with 65,000 miles on the odo) and no abnormal signs of wear. I now wish I had done it from new so I could track the engine's wear. Oh well.

Also, Harbour Freight sells that same pump, but with a dispense feature so you can pump the oil back out again. I have it and works pretty darn nice.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiok
Yup, that way you'd have a really good history of the engine's use from new.

I just had mine done for the 1st time (with 65,000 miles on the odo) and no abnormal signs of wear. I now wish I had done it from new so I could track the engine's wear. Oh well.

Also, Harbour Freight sells that same pump, but with a dispense feature so you can pump the oil back out again. I have it and works pretty darn nice.
my parents recently just got an X5.. dealer said "no break in period.. first oil change at 10,000 miles or whenever the service light comes on" is this true?? thanks.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Is it litre or liter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive3
my parents recently just got an X5.. dealer said "no break in period.. first oil change at 10,000 miles or whenever the service light comes on" is this true?? thanks.
There is a TON of opinions about oil changes here. Use search. If you still can't make up your mind after reading everything, well, there are no right answers anyway.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: '03 4.6iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive3
Break-in period is first 1,000 miles (as indicated in the User's Manual). Oil change is at 15,000 or one-year, whichever comes first. I usually change mine at 7,500 mi. or so.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
I was gooing to change the oil, but I checked my oil at 1100 miles and the motor oil looks like someone changed it yesterday... I was expecting BLACK oil at 1100 miles from the engine shedding crap during break in....
Old 08-27-2003, 04:41 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
There is a TON of opinions about oil changes here. Use search. If you still can't make up your mind after reading everything, well, there are no right answers anyway.
There is no way to determine when to change your oil other than doing used oil analysis, opinions are just that - opinions. Blackstone is great lab because of big database where you can compare your results with other owners.
I wish you didn't get the sample, maybe we could start a little database on this forum, I promise i would contribute my results .
Old 11-23-2003, 07:12 AM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Quote:

Check this place out. You can always call them to get some free samples. The products are great, and much less messy than cat litter.

http://www.newpig.com/
Old 11-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquetel
oil extractor?

Just did mine with the extractor for the first time on Saturday.

Worked like a champ.
Although it was slower than I expected. No worries though because I let it work while I detailed the car. By the time it was ready I changed out the filter and added the new oil. Very handy.

The bad part is that the capacity is EXACTLY the capacity of the car, so it was full to the very top. The unit dosent come with any sort of plug or cap to keep the oil in for your trip to the recycler. This was a huge PITA as I had to improvise and use the tube as the cap with plenty of rags and a plastic bag to catch the excess from the tube while my wife drove me to the recycler. For my next change I am going to rig up a better cap.

I guess they think you will pour the oil into a different container for transport but I dont want to waste the time when a plug would work just as well.

Photobucket