Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E30 M3 (1986-1990)

E30 M3 (1986-1990)

Old 11-16-2010, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: 1988 M3
No injector pulse 1988 M3 wont start-help

I was just given a 1988 M3 that has been parked for years. It wont start. I was told there is no injector pulse whatever that means. I was also told i would have to replace the ecm computer because of this. It doesn't sound right to me...but I am a girl who barely knows how to check the oil..lol Please help
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Porsch
Well, I believe that you already have a similar post regarding this problem that you are currently facing. It makes me very jealous I must say, I would love to have one of those rides too. In fact, I don't mind getting myself an old car. After some restoration, everything will be perfect. I would still advice you to go to a few mechanics, and listen to what each one of them has to say. Ask for a price and go for the cheapest, or you could bring your dad, or boyfriend, or anyone you know that know about cars.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
so many things need to happen before those pulses need to be there. It needs hands on to start at the basics.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
There are two sensors in the bellhousing.
One tells the computer where the crankshaft is positioned.
The Other tells the computer if and how fast the crankshaft is rotating.
Without this information, the computer will not switch on the fuel injectors.
The computer also needs healthy voltage or it will not work appropriately.

It is going to cost you some money to get it running.
It depends on how the car was stored.
Climate controlled storage is not so bad.
Storage outside or in a shed will not be so good.
The ignition system is powerful and usually robust, but the distributor cap and rotor need to be checked.
The fuel system will probably need to be flushed and new fuel, a new fuel filter will be needed.
The fuel injectors may be stuck shut as well.

If you are really lucky New fuel/fuel filter and a good battery may start the engine.
Someone needs to check the car over for Mice and rats, which chew through the wiring loom, consuming the insulation as food, nesting in the intake, and exhaust.

m