Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235301 View Post
We've officially reached the level of defcon bat**** insane when it comes to tipping nowadays. It's not that we don't know who to tip, it's that it seems a whole new class of services now is looking to make a tip. We all know/want to tip the delivery guy, the waiter/waitress, etc. These are all people that make a relatively low hourly wage and tipping them is essentially an expected part of their compensation package. And especially if they are delivering a repeat service it can only help with future service(I know, this contradicts NOT tipping the SA). But now do you tip the guy at Sherwin Williams that just mixed your paint or did a custom color match for you? How about the guy at Autozone that helped you find the right wiper blades? Yikes!

I would think an SA would fall into that "professional" category and a tip would seem offensive. I can see dropping a nice gift(restaurant gift cert, etc) on them at appropriate times of the year to let them know you are pleased with their service(as you would do with any vendor you have of services/products). I just don't see tipping the SA.

I'm open to hearing other opinions. Perhaps I am just a cheap bastard.
If you are cheap so am I, that's just wrong to tip your SA. I bet, BMWNA would be very upset if this become widespread customary.
I keep everything professional level withmy SA, I don't yell, I presented my best case on why things should be done, and I expect the same from him.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E60 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235301 View Post
We've officially reached the level of defcon bat**** insane when it comes to tipping nowadays. It's not that we don't know who to tip, it's that it seems a whole new class of services now is looking to make a tip. We all know/want to tip the delivery guy, the waiter/waitress, etc. These are all people that make a relatively low hourly wage and tipping them is essentially an expected part of their compensation package. And especially if they are delivering a repeat service it can only help with future service(I know, this contradicts NOT tipping the SA). But now do you tip the guy at Sherwin Williams that just mixed your paint or did a custom color match for you? How about the guy at Autozone that helped you find the right wiper blades? Yikes!

I would think an SA would fall into that "professional" category and a tip would seem offensive. I can see dropping a nice gift(restaurant gift cert, etc) on them at appropriate times of the year to let them know you are pleased with their service(as you would do with any vendor you have of services/products). I just don't see tipping the SA.

I'm open to hearing other opinions. Perhaps I am just a cheap bastard.
Well put...
FYI: I just tipped my wife -- she slapped me and took the money anyway.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Oz View Post
Well put...
FYI: I just tipped my wife -- she slapped me and took the money anyway.
Wait a minute, old habits especially the bad ones die hard
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3 ZCP; '06 530 XIT
my local dealer don't give me loaner when I took in my m3. they give me loaner for my 530 though.

same person, different car (background), different treatment. no matter how nice my exhaust sounds, hm hm, no loaner, sorry, you need a card for the taxi company?

maybe they will not allow me to have that free can of soda next time I brought my m3 in... uh just kidding.

receptionist girl told me no loaner for cars that were not bought here. seriously? a'ight. i take a taxi then.

there is discrimination, of course. out of question.

Last edited by silverbimmer3; 03-04-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
No loaner if you didn't buy it there..that is just BS...
Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by esanger View Post
No loaner if you didn't buy it there..that is just BS...
Yeah, this is the kind of crap that Lexus dealers don't pull.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
Yeah, this is the kind of crap that Lexus dealers don't pull.
Not trying knocking Lexus, everybody praises their level of services and I believe it, but I wonder do every Lexus onwer gets loaner even for a simple oil change, cause if it is how many loaner cars does dealer have?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Not trying knocking Lexus, everybody praises their level of services and I believe it, but I wonder do every Lexus onwer gets loaner even for a simple oil change, cause if it is how many loaner cars does dealer have?
Not every Lexus owners gets a loaner, but most do:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-s...he-dealer.html

Here is the Lexus corporate policy on loaner cars from: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ices/dealer.do

"Complimentary Loaner Vehicles
If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for warranty repairs that require more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle for up to five days."

Thankfully I've always been offered a loaner at my dealer from whom I didn't purchase my BMW.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
Lexus has made their success by providing a luxury line that is reliable and feature rich. I dont think they have too many cars for service very long, but they consider it a part of service.
Loaners are usually sold as demos and they get most of the full price, and a company rebate and a tax writeoff.

Of course they have enough money for loaners when they sell essentially a Cam(a)ry for thousands more!

This doesnt excuse the ultimate driving machine for some of their attitude issues.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 525xi 2008 550i
Sure all Lexus models are Camry's (wait they are more like Corolla's) and they drive like a Yugo. That is one thing that bugs be about some (not all) BMW owners. No matter how BMW and the Dealer treats the customer they go on the offensive and attack another brand that competes with them. Seriously BMW has service issues and quality issues, I have 2 BMW's 2006 525xi and 2010 650i, also a 2006 Lexus 2006 GS300 AWD. I get better service with Lexus than BMW. I paid more for my BMW and expect better service and quality. I just wish BMW would read these forums to see and hear the frustration of the owners. Please don't make excuse that BMW are better performance, better R&D, better cars. I CAN AFFORD to own these brands, i just expect better service for the money I have to fork over to own and drive these vehicles.

Last edited by dwvninety; 03-04-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i, HUD, SAT, L7
No doubt BMW drives and handles better but Lexus has some great line up too.
Lexus target drivers who prefer ride quality over handling. GS and LS is not based on any toyota and they are very reliable.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMed12 View Post
Not every Lexus owners gets a loaner, but most do:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-s...he-dealer.html

Here is the Lexus corporate policy on loaner cars from: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ices/dealer.do

"Complimentary Loaner Vehicles
If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for warranty repairs that require more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle for up to five days."

Thankfully I've always been offered a loaner at my dealer from whom I didn't purchase my BMW.
My best advise to people is call BMWNA directly if your car has to stay overnight and dealer says no loaner. Forget less than 8hr repair time, even Lexus says no to loaner here.
Similar experience with Audi, dealer says no loaner and I called AudiNA and they say who was the dealer and less than 10 min later I got called from Audi dealer's service manager. If it's important and reasonable I doubt a luxury car mfg will say no to your demand.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxcar View Post
No doubt BMW drives and handles better but Lexus has some great line up too.
Lexus target drivers who prefer ride quality over handling. GS and LS is not based on any toyota and they are very reliable.
Agreed, that's why we invented caddy's and Lexus, for those old timers. We all rather drive fast and take sharp turns lol. I also feel that if you do purchase a Lexus avoid all except the GS and LS. No sense in paying double for a camory for just a badge with a L and maybe a navi system.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
I've always received a daily loaner(typically a 5er) for warranty repairs, no questions asked. I don't know what I'm looking at under CPO now but for the most part the loaner deal from my dealership has been great. And the loaners were for normal day in/out that day repairs, no overnight deals.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
I try not to unreasonably ask for loaners. If it's an oil change or routine maintenance, what the heck, I can wait in a lounge with free WiFi. I just browse my iPad. But if my car has to stay overnight, what am I supposed to do? I'm even OK with a cheap rental from Enterprise. Just give me something so I can get to work and back.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
When I bought my E93, my salesperson ended up with an injury that put them out of work for a few months, and one of the managers stepped in to make sure my car arrived on time and complete delivery with me. As I appreciated him stepping in and making sure everything went smoothly, I showed up to take delivery with a 6-pack of very good Scottish Ale for him. I know he appreciated it, as he mentions how much he liked the beer everytime I see him

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I just tell them I always give the highest marks on surveys and will work out any problems with them directly. That's a lot more effective than a tip.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
You are right about this, you know. I had Hondas, Acuras, and even a Ford that I used and abused for a long time without sunroof leaks/noise issues. It is a flawed sealing design that for some reason BMW keeps using. Acura/Honda seals theirs with seal around the movable glass... BMW has their seal body side. Pride keeps them from doing the right thing?
I have had a weak sunroof seal on 2 different Acura TL's. Didn't get a replacement they were able to fix. It rattled.