Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-23-2010, 01:32 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Can you also give hose measurements like diameter please.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:43 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Hey poolman, I am wondering... Have you checked your oil level before and after the install? What did you find?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Just for the record, maybe the same problem is here:
- Can anyone tell me why I am getting a stop oil pressure warning
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
wat's dat noise

Mein Auto: '04 525i
Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Bluebee--on the oil warning--is this happening when the engine is at idle, like when your turning the steering wheel and putting added strain on the engine when at idle? If so I suspect you might have a vacuum leak
somewhere--the engine idles at less speed when experiencing a vac leak--less engine idle speed means the oil pressure os lower and then the warning. This cxould also be the sensor is going bad as well. In my case it seems that very hot weather causes the oil to become thinner and the sensor goes off with all the bells and such.
On the lastest for what I have done in this oil consumption issue, I swear by me I will put together an update
with pics on what I have used for the last 6 months that has stoped the problem. It isn't for the faint of heart
when it comes to the lastest, but it works--new oil catch can with the deletion of the CCV system.

Last edited by poolman; 03-18-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
very interesting thread
to share my experience :

My 530i 90k miles also had oil consuming , 1L every 2000 miles
I believe that BMW engineers know much more than i so i just install a new CW CCV, hoses and a new dipstick
( as was suggested by my BMW service department friend )
I can confirm that new dipstick design affect oil consuming because after a new CCV
i still have high oil consuming but after a new dipstick ( new design ) it is almost gone

It still uses some oil ( now i think it is like 1L every 5000 miles ) ... not a big deal
ya and i use Mobil1 0w-40 LL01 oil
so far so good

Last edited by champaign777; 03-17-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
very interesting thread
to share my experience :

My 530i 90k miles also had oil consuming , 1L every 2000 miles
I believe that BMW engineers know much more than i so i just install a new CW CCV and a new dipstick
( as was suggested by my BMW service department friend )
I can confirm that new dipstick design affect oil use because after a new CCV i still have high oil consuming but after new dipstick ( new design )
it is gone
It still use some oil ( now i think it is like 1L for 5000 miles ) ... not a big deal
You know...
You can achieve the new oil dipstick design by just drilling out a new standard dipstick...
That is all the new dipstick design really is.
It's just missing the second pipe at the bottom.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1376457&page=3
Post #67:

Last edited by Jason5driver; 03-17-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
thanks Jason for clarification
same idea ( i don't have luck with drilling it like Jason ) and it definitely works with CW CCV ...
i think there is a BMW service bulletin about this :

==================
SUBJECT
Oil Separator Cold Climate Conditions
MODEL
E39 (5 Series) all with M54 engine
E46 (3 Series) all with M54 engine
E53 (X5) all with M54 engine
E60 (5 Series) all with M54 engine
E83 (X3) all with M54 engine
E85 (Z4) all with M54 engine
SITUATION
Certain areas of the US experience extremely cold climate conditions during the winter months. A small number of
vehicles in the above-listed Series have experienced problems ranging from leaking or broken valve covers to complete
engine failure.
CAUSE
Moisture accumulating in the engine oil separator; hose to oil dipstick guide tube; or the orifice in the dipstick guide
tube can freeze. When this occurs, depending on the position of the internal valve, it may either cause high crankcase
pressures (stuck closed) resulting in valve cover leakage and/or breakage, or cause an oil hydro-lock condition (stuck
open), which could result in engine damage.
CORRECTION
Replace the crankcase vent valve, crankcase vent hoses, and dipstick guide tube.
==================

Last edited by champaign777; 03-17-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 AM
wat's dat noise

howdy poolman.i am very fascinated with your find on how to stop the oil consumption.i have an m52b28 engine and i have this random puff of smoke at startups.it just puffs at start up and becomes ok after that at idle.the engine consumes about 1 litre every 1000 miles.i have replaced the ccv and cleaned the rubber hose that connects the ccv to the dipstick and i have really cleaned the dipstick thoroughly and confirmed the small passage that the excess oil is supposed to travel thru,is clear.i have he old style dipstick.

i have just attempted to do what you essentially did ie bypass the ccv by removing the rubber hose and blanking the ccv drain and the dip stick side.wud this damage the system in any way?i hope this setup stops the oil consumption somewhat.

Last edited by moots; 03-18-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
"moots",

There is a little secret in the E39, the dipstick design has double-channel at the lower end.
The CCV hose feed ---> main dipstick HOUSING: it is "double channel":
- one channel for the dipstick itself.
- one narrow channel for CCV drainage.

Once the CCV is clogged, the narrow channel for CCV drainage is usually clogged too.
Very often people change the CCV and the hose to dipstick, only to find out their car still consumes oil such as 1L/1K miles, not bad but can be improved!

The trick is during the CCV job:
- The dipstick needs to be removed and cleaned.
- Use new O-ring.
- Use a shallow pan, fill it with gasoline (do this outside of your house!) to about 2".
- Soak the dipstick housing in it until all the sludge dissolve.
- Then blow compressed air through the upper port, air should come out at the bottom.

This dipstick design is basically a dumb design (many cars use a standard inlet back into the crankcase w/o "hitch-hiking" the dipstick), but this is what the BMW engineers did, so you have to work around it.

PS: Also you need to read the link posted by "Jason5driver" above on the dipstick design Old (PN 11437531258 $30), vs new design (no double-channel ---> $230).
It usually takes some 100K miles for the dipstick to be clogged, so instead of cleaning it, you can simply buy another "old" dipstick housing for $30, which should last you at least 90-100K miles.

Here is the link again:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1376457&page=3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dipstick.JPG
Views:	1613
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	270836  

Last edited by cn90; 03-18-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 AM

Good luck to you and hope your engine stops using oil--follow what CN90 has given you and try that first
I bought a new dipstick and it made no diff in my useage--may help some though
Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 AM
wat's dat noise

hi poolman,yes i am aware of the double walled dipstick design.took this photo after i cleaned mine :

i have done all that you mentioned 6 months back and have basically cleaned all passages and orifices to how bmw wants the system to be running but i am still losing oil.i have also broken apart the old ccv to see the innards and there is only a spring and diaphragm to close the hole to the inlet manifold:

as mentioned in my earlier post,i have removed rubber hose #6 and blanked both #4,basically redirecting all upper crankcase vapor to the inlet manifold via the ccv.question is will there be long term downsides with both #4 blanked up?and how havw you been fairing with your pcv 'design'?any updates on the intended oil catch tank mod?.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM
wat's dat noise

Old 03-18-2011, 08:32 AM

The oil catch can works better than just pulling vac directly from the crankcase--in my case the engine would at times give a cell of running to rich--I then brought in the catch can with a pcv valve from an old ford and hooked it all up and the useage went down from 1 qt every 1000 miles to 1 qt every 3000 miles--I can live with that. I need to say by introducing vac into the crankcase, both ways worked about the same. The only diff between the to methods(with and without the oil catch can)when not using the oil catch can I did from time to time get the cell light of running to rich.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
I am trying out your set up but cant seem to get my 2000 m52tu to idle in gear. I tried getting the needed vacuum for the fuel pressure regulator from the air intake boot by way of an F connector and then hooked a line directly into the back of the intake via the plugged port near the firewall on drivers side. Any thoughts? Am I way off base? Thanks

Last edited by kwr1267; 01-23-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr1267 View Post
I am trying out your set up but cant seem to get my 2000 m52tu to idle in gear. I am tried getting the needed vacuum for the fuel pressure regulator from the air intake boot by way of an F connector and then hooked a line directly into the back of the intake via the plugged port near the firewall on drivers side. Any thoughts? Am I way off base? Thanks
I would try connecting a pressure regulating valve between the hose that connects to the valve cover and the air distribution piece (intake).
Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM

The way I did this set up is as follows. From the Air distribution unit--I blocked off one of the vac lines and used the front vaccum hookup as my main vacuum line. From that front line I hooked up a 3/4
inch diameter hose over to my catch can that I located on the firewall beside my air filter. Then I used another hose from my valve cover to the catch can with a PCV valve going into the catch can.
To seal everything up I used heavy duty shrink tubing that I bought from my local Fastenal company locted here in town.
The catch can was made from 4 inch PVC pipe cut to a 6 inch length. I used two rounded caps that were glued down over each end to seal it off. On the caps I drilled two holes on the top side of one of the caps and then installed two rubber grommets for, one the PVC valve and the other for a plastic 90 degree free flowing insert.
The parts for building all of this--The can parts were purchased at Lowes hardware--the tubing and the grommets and Pcv valve and 90 degree part were bought at Auto Zone and the heavy duty
shrink tubing was purchased at Fastenal.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Thanks for the detailed response. My issue is with the vacuum for the fuel pressure regulator on my 2000 528i m52tu. my understanding is that the CCV provided the needed vacuum for the FPR which on my car is located under the car next to the 3/2 valve. I am new to the forum so please correct me if I am wrong and sorry for stirring up old issues but I am trying to stop my car from drinking oil like it owns stock in an oil company!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM

On the fuel pressure vac point-mine is off of the air bonnet hooked to the f connector as you discribed. I would like to think this would work for you as it does me. If not then I would try hooking to one of the vacuum points on the back of the intake manifold. Sorry I don't know any more about your situation concerning this. Just trying to give the info that helped my M54 engine
Good Luck