Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 330CI
Rear deck protector

We've had our X3 35i for three weeks - very happy, drives great. Today I noticed the rear bumper deck is scratched even though we've been very careful. Does anyone know if anyone makes a clear or black matte sill protector? There is nothing on the official BMW assessory list even though these items were carried on some prior versions of the X5. BMW should put this on all X3s - most SUVs have this as standard. There is no way to avoid scratching the bumper deck.
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: Lotus Seven & X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcbmw View Post
We've had our X3 35i for three weeks - very happy, drives great. Today I noticed the rear bumper deck is scratched even though we've been very careful. Does anyone know if anyone makes a clear or black matte sill protector? There is nothing on the official BMW assessory list even though these items were carried on some prior versions of the X5. BMW should put this on all X3s - most SUVs have this as standard. There is no way to avoid scratching the bumper deck.
BMW's "solution" to the problem of scratching the top of your bumper cover is to use one of their "Load Sill Protectors". I have the cargo mat with the fold out bumper cover, cover. It's very light weight plastic and is a such a pain to use it's just not worth the trouble. The molded cargo mat is actually quite nice, but the protector part is just about useless.

Images of the (2) BMW accessory parts are attached below.

A possible solution is to cover the top surface of the bumper with a layer of Scotchgard, XPEL or ClearMask clear urethane film. It's inexpensive, almost invisible and will protect the paint from scratches and minor impacts. If it eventually does get damaged, it's easy to remove and replace with a new layer. It's available in small rolls of various widths as well as in flat sheets and can be cut to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LoadSillMat_921-1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	270231   Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage-compartment-mat_3235-1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	270232  

Last edited by Lotus7; 03-13-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Like the Xpel idea, unless BMW comes up with something better. Autosport catalog has a kit for $43.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 330CI
Thanks - I'll look into the clear xpel film. I agree the interior mat with fold out bumper cover was not something I wanted to deal with.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Could you please keep us apprised as to how that works out? When I get mine I will be loading almost everyday and the mat looks like a pain.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: Lotus Seven & X3 35i
XPel Paint Protection film is available directly from the manufacturer.

The top surface of the X3's bumper is 3 -1/4 inches (8.5 cm) deep and can be covered by a strip 48 inches (122 cm) long.

XPel No. XPFCL4S film is supplied in 4 inch wide rolls by the foot @ US$ 2.12/ft., so the X3 bumper top surface can be covered for less then $10. This is standard XPel high gloss polyurethane with a total thickness of 8.3 mils. Properly applied, it is virtually invisible.

see: http://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp