Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: X3
When I go to pick up x3

Hi this will be my first bmw and very excited for when it finally gets here. Seems like Washington had very few productions slots, seems like the wait is forever. So when I go to pick it up is there anything that they will try to sell me on? I have heard mentioned the cargo mats which I will very much need, wish they had a bumper protector instead of fold out mat! I have also heard about wheel locks, is theft a big problem? I thought I heard you can purchase extended maintenance as long as warranty hasn't run out. I plan on having this car for a very long time and will have low miles so time frame in warranty will run out before miles. Any advice appreciated. Wish I was already driving it like some of you lucky x3 drivers.
Ads by Google
Old 03-20-2011, 03:33 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
tint, lo jack, things like that.

Listen for sounds when you go to pick it up, make sure everything is right

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
You will have to go through the F&I (finance and insurance) person who will "sell" you things like tire and wheel warranty, extended maintentance plan and additional warranty (which you do not have to buy then, but can wait for and get a better deal on), paint protection (useless), etc. All this stuff is added dealer profit where they make an obscene amount of money. I have heard the tire and wheel insurance might be useful if you have 19" or bigger wheels but in all my years of driving (way too many) I have never busted a wheel, nor ruined a tire that the OEM tire warranty did not cover. The taller wheels with the skinny tires are at risk though, so you have to think about that. Others will I am sure chime in here with their thoughts. Good luck, and remember this is a brand new car and if you think anything is wrong at all take it back in and talk to the Serivice Mgr (he will be your "new best friend") since the Sales Guy is no longer interested in you. In fact, when you pick up your new car ask the Sales person to introduce you to the Service Mgr. Get his card and keep it in your car stuff.

Last edited by UncleJ; 03-20-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: X3
This is what I am talking about. Thanks for the info and viewpoints.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygal View Post
So when I go to pick it up is there anything that they will try to sell me on? I have heard mentioned the cargo mats which I will very much need, wish they had a bumper protector instead of fold out mat! I have also heard about wheel locks, is theft a big problem? I thought I heard you can purchase extended maintenance as long as warranty hasn't run out. I plan on having this car for a very long time and will have low miles so time frame in warranty will run out before miles.
I wouldn't get the extended maintenance. You're paying $2100 for two oil changes, one brake fluid change, maybe brake pads and a couple other items. These can be done at an independent shop for MUCH less. Since you plan on driving low miles, you'll never make it pay; an extended warranty may be a different thing though.

Also, don't buy any of their "protection" packages, they are all over priced and things like the paint protection is just an expensive detail job.

If you park on the street, wheel locks wouldn't be a bad idea. The various cargo mats offered may work for you depending on how you use your X3. As for a bumper protector, you can have the clear protective film http://www.clearmask.com/ applied to the bumper.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Extended Maintenance: As others have said, it's not worth it. If you were to pay a mechanic or do it yourself, you'd save over $1500.

Extended Warranty: Costs the same down the road if you end up needing it. I've never bought it at the time of purchase. With a BMW, it's nice to be under warranty though. If I still have this car when the warranty expires, I'll call the dealerships in the area and see who can give me the best deal on an extension.

Wheel & Tire Insurance: This is the one item I recommend. I got mine for $799 for 5 years of coverage. Run flats can't be repaired and are expensive to replace.

Paint Protection and Other Worthless Things: Don't waste your money. Dealerships do more harm than good when they "detail" your car.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
When you buy the extended warranty I believe you have to do so BEFORE the OEM warranty expires -- like at 45K miles or so. Any BMW dealer can sell you this, and some do so at a significant discount. As long as it is a real BMW warranty and not some third party thing it is the same. Take your time and you have a number of years to shop it around. Good luck!