Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM
BMW Student

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Please Use Descriptive Thread Titles - Helps The Search Activity

1st I searched, and didn't find a post < 2 years old - so...

We need thread titles that tell us what the thread is about. Some examples:
Should I worry
Need Some advice
What should I do

IMO the title should tell us about what you are writing about, your questions, or what to expect when we open the thread.

Sorry if it's been posted before - I'm kinda sure that it has been - just couldn't find it, and thought that we could use a re-fresher course.

Go spring!!!

'97 528i, 99k DD
'91 CRX Si, 114k
'83 Supra, 109k
Ads by Google
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: ..
That's really helpful bro, as I have been trying to navigate my way around the search myself.

Last edited by Youngproexec; 03-20-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: I can't spell rofl..
Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I, for one, ALWAYS use a complete keyword-rich descriptive sentence for all of my threads. I wish everyone would! Sigh.

Examples of my subject lines (in no particular order) are ...
- List options available (sorted by cost) for 2001-2003 E39 broken headlight adjusters
- Where exactly do we look on the E39 radiator for telltale cracks?
- What is the coolant temperature of an E39 (I6 or V8) under normal operating condition
- The three "oil" camps (no, this is not another "what oil should I use" thread)
- What to tell people who say they don't have time, money, or tools to DIY E39 repairs!
- BMW TIS alignment specs and procedures for the E36, E38, & E39 (pdf)
- How to select the best BMW E39 carpet, cargo, trunk, & floor mats at the best price!
- How to CHOOSE the right oil for you for your E39
- E39 Electrical Problems Traced to Trunk Lid Harness Wire Chafing (DIY Diagnostic)
- What are your options if/when your E39 instrument cluster pixel LEDs are dead?
- DDM Tuning will be transitioning out of BMW parts over the next 6 months.
- What is the definitive list of E39 modules which, when replaced, need to be 'coded'?
- Have you ever found a "lifetime warranty" that met these basic criteria to be usable?
- Measurable benefits to the owner of an E60 battery-registration as compared to an E39
- What's the NEXT step for removing the door panel to diagnose broken window regulators
- DIY - BMW E39 Oil & Filter Change (vacuum extraction method)
- How do YOU spot & fix a paint job when buying a used E39 in the dealer parking lot?
- Removing and cleaning the MAF sensor housing on the I6 E39 (Bentley notwithstanding)
- Which of the dozen alignment specs are adjustable on the BMW E39?
- What engine combinations are known to work in the E39 when the need arises to replace
- What are the most common items that go wrong with the E39 and in what orer of import?
- The absolute basics of how to select replacement tires for your beloved BMW E39
- Who here has tested the E39 head gasket using an exhaust gas analyzer on the coolant?
- Yet another activated charcoal cabin air filter R&R DIY
- I'm confused how to properly test for DISA valve proper operation on the BMW E39
- How not to bleed your cooling system (i.e., how to break the bleed screw in half)
- What are the best ways to test the integrity of your E39 head gasket?
- Specific Question: How do you safely remove the upper radiator hose with u-pins?
- Newbie E39 DIY to test, select, buy, and replace front struts & rear shocks
- Recommended parts kits for overhauling cooling, drive belts, CCV/ICV, VANOS, OFH, PSP
- What are the pros/cons of the various BMW E39 replacement water pumps?
- Here are a couple of really nice PDFs which may be useful to the E53 crowd
- Here are a couple of really nice PDFs which may be useful to the E38 team
- How bad is this mistake in putting my cooling system back together?
- For the E39, what is the metal for the short block, cylinder liners, & camshaft head?
- 2002 E39 ASC BRAKE ABS lights on => Diagnostic Procedure & Parts Location
- What BMW-DIY-related supplies are decent to buy with Costco as your supplier?
- 2002 BMW 525i Technical Service Bulletins (Service Information Bulletins), listing
- Do we have hydraulic or mechanical serpentine polyribbed drive belt tensioners?
- How to make your own BMW special cooling system & drive belt counterhold tools
- BMW budget (diy,indy,stealer) & what to fix first & what will breaks
- How to post shrink modify edit annotate merge upload etc pictures for posting here
- It would be interesting to post smog emission results for our E39s (for comparison)
- P1624 2000 328i (is this a pedal position or a thermostat BMW P-code?)
- The most accurate method of measuring E39 miles per gallon (mpg) with +/- tolerance
- When are E39 OBDII diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) & pending codes auto cleared?
- Weird question ... Where are ENGINE-specific BMW P1xxx trouble codes anyway?
etc.

So that this thread isn't wasted, let's put refer others to it who post styupid titles such as:
- Heat
- Help
- My 540i
- Cooling system
- Auurgh
etc.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
BMW Student

bluebee - Yes, your threads are very good, and many others are too. Good idea we could nominate: The most useless titles

'97 528i, 99k DD
'91 CRX Si, 114k
'83 Supra, 109k
Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgo View Post
bluebee - Yes, your threads are very good, and many others are too. Good idea we could nominate: The most useless titles

Here are some, from today in the E39 forum:
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM
BMW Student

You are good. I hope this catches-on. I'll keep my eye-out also.

'97 528i, 99k DD
'91 CRX Si, 114k
'83 Supra, 109k
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to Bailey228
Mein Auto: E39 / E46 / E36 / E30x2
Amen to that. Also, and I know it's not just me, but many times I skip over threads that aren't descriptive. That's of no help to anyone.

Normally when I have a lot of free time (rarely), I'll go back and check through them at random.

Bottom line... if YOU want help, give us a clue at the outset, and as this thread indicates, you can help others in the process.

As always, good advice Blue, and a good thread.

Cheers... Glenn
Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Today, someone posted a thread with the title of:
  • Asc, by alonzo4toni

I suggested (using his own words inside the body) the following title:
  • My ASC & ABS light came on & my 97 528i will only shift into first gear
Likewise, today someone posted a thread with the title of:
To which I suggested (again, using his own words) a title of:
  • What should I work on to fix my suspension which clicks only on turns?
However, I suspect this is is a losing proposition because there are way more of 'them' than 'us'.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:56 PM
BMW Student

Same ones I thought of, and yeah - your right - there's more of them than us. It was worth a try.

Thks to all who agree & practice.

'97 528i, 99k DD
'91 CRX Si, 114k
'83 Supra, 109k
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540IA Sport
Yes and at least give us info about your year and model. I relly don't want to waste time reading about a problem with a miss on a six cylinder when I own an eight, ect.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
The other side of the equation--one side being how to make the information retrievable--is getting people to actually search for it and pull it up. I wonder if we shouldn't come up with a sticky or two, encouraging people to word posts descriptively and to search for info before starting a new thread. Earlier today, I tried to channel a little of your spirit, Bluebee, in encouraging someone to try a search before just firing off questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
Friendly suggestion: the people who contribute to the knowledge in this forum like to feel that what they've contributed is useful to others. Having others refer to threads they've contributed to provides the best evidence of the usefulness of their contributions. In short, it's a good idea to try to do a little research before you pose a question, because the answer is usually already available if you bother to look for it.

One of the best ways to search is in the "Best Links" thread. If you set your User Control Panel ("User CP" in the upper left-hand corner of the page) to "80 posts per page," under the "Thread Display Options," using "f3" (in Windows) or "Command-f" (in MacOS) you'll get an efficient search box for key words.

If you've searched and you still can't find something, explain what you've searched for and why it didn't help. This will get you a more productive response.
Don't know what kind of reaction it'll get, but I thought it was worth a try.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Another one from today ...

- Is this bad?, by prod0660
Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 bmw 528i
This is a public forum, Not BB's forum. Although she is extremely helpful she has to understand that not everybody is as dedicated as herself. People often use forums in hopes of a quick solution to a current problem. I personally think some members take this way to serious, wow its a public forum. People should be able to ask questions the best way they can and so what if they don't have there period in the correct spot. They should'nt be called 4th graders, that's not right. In short if you if you feel someone is beneath your level of education or experience than just move on. Not that it will make a difference but just my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup View Post
This is a public forum, Not BB's forum. Although she is extremely helpful she has to understand that not everybody is as dedicated as herself. People often use forums in hopes of a quick solution to a current problem. I personally think some members take this way to serious, wow its a public forum. People should be able to ask questions the best way they can and so what if they don't have there period in the correct spot. They should'nt be called 4th graders, that's not right. In short if you if you feel someone is beneath your level of education or experience than just move on. Not that it will make a difference but just my 2 cents.
I don't see anything in this thread about 4th grade education. This thread is about how to make the forum more useful for all members. You're exactly right, it's a public forum, and you can ask questions as you like, but if you expect other people to do your work for you and spoon-feed you everything, don't be surprised if you get little help. It's a simple transaction, really. The more you give, the more you get.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm otay. You are not.

Mein Auto: 98 540i Sport Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Here are some, from today in the E39 forum:
Quote:
Today, someone posted a thread with the title of:
  • Asc, by alonzo4toni

I suggested (using his own words inside the body) the following title:
  • My ASC & ABS light came on & my 97 528i will only shift into first gear
Likewise, today someone posted a thread with the title of:
To which I suggested (again, using his own words) a title of:
  • What should I work on to fix my suspension which clicks only on turns?
However, I suspect this is is a losing proposition because there are way more of 'them' than 'us'.
Quote:
Another one from today ...

- Is this bad?, by prod0660

Zing!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
They should'nt be called 4th graders
In every social group, the social group sets the cultural bounds that each member is expected to follow.

This has been going on since the dawn of humanity (and, I daresay, many animals prior to that, e.g., wolves, elephants, monkeys, lions, and probably dinosaurs).

In my opinion (and that of many others), we are what we write here. That's all we've got. And, if we write like 4th graders, then that's what we are to the group. Period.

It's not "me" making these rules. It's common courtesy to write use proper spelling and punctuation just as it's common courtesy to use your turn signals and flashers to let others know what you are doing.

If someone is so rude as to ignore common courtesies, then why should they NOT be called out for that? If, for example, a title says "Help", you can imagine a LOT of us will open that thread (however badly titled) to help the guy.

If, once lured inside, we find a person writing like a 4th grader would, with incomprehensible spelling and no punctuation whatsoever, what is wrong with asking that person to use common courtesy when asking for help?

In fact, every school in the country teaches what I am saying here. So, please realize it's not 'me' that is expecting common courtesy in this forum ... it's all of us.

The only ones who don't get that are those who repeatedly write like fourth graders. I, for one, put them on my ignore list if they don't clean up their act once duly informed. And they'll never get direct help from me again if they continue their errant ways.

These are typical rules of any society - and these rules have been in place for a million years. Neither you nor I will change them by any act we can imagine. And that's how it should be.

< / diatribe >
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedm View Post
Zing!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
I don't see anything in this thread about 4th grade education.
I agree, there was nothing in this thread about 4th grade education (until he brought it up) ... but I think he's referring to the 'illiterati' who can't punctuate or spell and who have run-on sentences.

As you said, it's a simple 'transaction'.

Newbies have to earn respect (all of us, you, me, and everyone else); and part of that respect is following standard local cultural rules that are taught in every single school in the world.

If someone expects to be spoon fed, we will be generous to a point, and then give up.

If someone is so consistently rude as to not mend their ways when shown the errors, then they will be ignored.

That's all we're asking when it comes to titles.

Here's another, just today:
- Battery, by Dansyerman

To which I simply responded:
Quote:
Just a friendly suggestion:
- Please Use Descriptive Thread Titles - Helps The Search Activity

Using your own words, something like this would be courteous to us:
- How do I find out if my battery is Lead acid to get the right charger?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 AM

BB please add me to your ignore list (period)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
BB please add me to your ignore list (period)

Here's another just in:
- Does anyone have an answer?!>!>!, by Tema
Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Here's another just in:
- Does anyone have an answer?!>!>!, by Tema
Yes and forum members replied( period) Your point is( question mark)
Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:
uhh... what's the point of replying to someone who has you on their ignore list (question mark)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post
uhh... what's the point of replying to someone who has you on their ignore list (question mark)
She is quoting me so obviously I'm not on her ignore list yet (period)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
LOL!

Priceless!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:37 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
unless you are part of the dumbing-down of the E39 crowd, surely you can see beyond the fact that BlueBee not only has pride in her ability to communicate as well as RESPECT for the reader's time trying to figure out what the hell the post is about without opening every damn one. We all have more work than we used to, our jobs take more and more of our days, and any help from a poster to give us a damn clue what the post is about is very thoughtful. Only an ass thinks that posts like "guess what I saw today"? or "anyone else had this happen to them"? are cute or will drive our curiosity "over the top"? You are really not going to go very far in business if you think your co-workers are going to want to play the "guess what I'm thinking game". This is not a BlueBee-driven complaint... this is a respect for the time of the person whom you wish to get information from and nothing more. You want what someone else has? Give them a hint or see if the quality of your answers does not match the respect you show in your post for help.