Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 11-21-2003, 05:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 M5, Alpina B10 BT
Help with non-working Xenon

My '99 540i was in an accident and the body shop replaced both xenon headlight assemblies. They're done with the car and can't get the right xenon to work. All of the other lights work including both high beams, both fog lights, and left xenon. While I was there they changed the bulb three times and it still didn't work. We looked all over for a fuse or relay but couldn't find one. Any idea where I should start? I've taken the car home for the weekend but they want it back next week to send it to another shop.

Greg S.
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2003, 12:44 PM
MaxDH

Mein Auto: 540i6
Did you put a multimeter on the connector to see if you are getting power to the bulb?
Old 11-22-2003, 02:27 PM

I fixed it

I used the Fluke on it and found a solid 12 volts. When I unplugged the connector I noticed the retaining clip was broken. This enabled the mechanic to plug it in upside down. I flipped it and now almost everything is fine. I've noticed a couple of paint chevrons on the face of the hood. Very sloppy for a reputable shop like Cal-West.

Greg S.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Mein Auto: Black 1995 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Greg
I used the Fluke on it and found a solid 12 volts. When I unplugged the connector I noticed the retaining clip was broken. This enabled the mechanic to plug it in upside down. I flipped it and now almost everything is fine. I've noticed a couple of paint chevrons on the face of the hood. Very sloppy for a reputable shop like Cal-West.

Greg S.
Oh forget it and buy an E34!

Damn, I forgot, you used to have one.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:01 AM

I had one and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Oh forget it and buy an E34!

Damn, I forgot, you used to have one.

It cost me $8000 for the Nikasil block and the tranny was starting to act up. I did really enjoy it though it was becoming a love/hate relationship. I'll be going out of town for Thanksgiving so I won't be able to join you guys at the car show.

Greg S.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Greg
Very sloppy for a reputable shop like Cal-West.
Wassup GregS? I thought Cal-West was the best too. Let me know if they fix the paint issues. Otherwise, I can't believe they charge as much as they do for crappy work.

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com

Old 11-27-2003, 10:14 AM

Long time no see, twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietsb
Wassup GregS? I thought Cal-West was the best too. Let me know if they fix the paint issues. Otherwise, I can't believe they charge as much as they do for crappy work.
It looks like it's the clear coat that ran in one spot and needs to be buffed in another. They are very willing to fix it but now I have to be without a car for another day. They did give me the old lights with the xenon ballasts and bulbs that work fine.

Greg S.