Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyogill View Post
The simplest explanation is most likely the correct one.

Do you work for free?
Ultimately, it's true. Like anyone that works mostly on commission, they're not going to give you much time if they don't think there is the potential for it to get them somewhere now or in the future.

You'll certainly get 10 minutes of their time if you ask to go through the service history while you are dropping the car off for a service visit, i.e. while dropping your car off for an oil change ask them to go over what has been done on the car in the past.

If you drop by just to get the service history, and it is an older car and they expect that they are never going to see you again for service, I can see why they might not want to take the time. Might they be making a mistake in assuming that you'll never come back? Sure, that's possible. But sometimes a customer makes it pretty obvious that they'll never come back to you for anything that would cost them money and they're only looking for stuff that they can get for free.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

Do you work for free?
No, but I will invest my time.

Do not get me wrong, they are 'allowed' to not want to be nice, to not want to work for free, to be dicks, to gossip about people that ask about 'how much will this cost'...they are allowed to cultivate customers who are price insensitive, they can decide to only lavish attention on those customers that make them the most money, or customers that are too stupid or intimidated to ask questions....

ALL PERFECTLY ALLOWABLE.

But do not expect me to treat those actions with respect.

They are allowed to do what they want, and so am I.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '92 Saturn SL2
I'm sure they appreciate your allowance.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm sure they appreciate your allowance.
So do my kids.

A
Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:

Do you work for free?
Taking that attitude in a service industry job will likely insure that you will end up working for less money, eventually..

Successful people treat everyone as a valuable customer, because they realize they aren't perfect predictors of future behavior..
1987 325iS Bronzit (retired)
2011 Z4 Space Gray (retired)
2008 X3 Sapphire Black (retired)
2005 330Cic Silver-Gray (retired)
2003 325i Sport Steel Blue (retired)
1967 2000CS Delphin Gray (retired)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfdx View Post
Taking that attitude in a service industry job will likely insure that you will end up working for less money, eventually..

Successful people treat everyone as a valuable customer, because they realize they aren't perfect predictors of future behavior..
I broadly agree. But...

What we're talking about here are client advisors providing service information to people who've already bought cars. Furthermore, because of the magic of the internet we have people in West Hempstead, NY, asking CAs in Los Angeles, CA for this information.

Is it possible that lennychris might move to CA and need a BMW from JWBMW? Sure. But it's a half-court shot. With :01 on the clock. And Shaq in your face. Maybe Dwight Howard too.

Now, if you're an SA, and a person walks into your dealership and asks you for the information, and they live locally, and the car is still under warranty--clearly that's a different kind of opportunity. Then one has to consider company and corporate confidentiality policies and the enforceability and consequences of such rules.

Successful people have a keen sense of what their time, effort and risk is worth, and can quickly make a cost-benefit analysis to prioritize opportunities in order of ROI, and act accordingly.

Last edited by darbyogill; 03-18-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I broadly agree. But...

What we're talking about here are client advisors providing service information to people who've already bought cars. Furthermore, because of the magic of the internet we have people in West Hempstead, NY, asking CAs in Los Angeles, CA for this information.

Is it possible that lennychris might move to CA and need a BMW from JWBMW? Sure. But it's a half-court shot. With :01 on the clock. And Shaq in your face. Maybe Dwight Howard too.

Now, if you're an SA, and a person walks into your dealership and asks you for the information, and they live locally, and the car is still under warranty--clearly that's a different kind of opportunity. Then one has to consider company and corporate confidentiality policies and the enforceability and consequences of such rules.

Successful people have a keen sense of what their time, effort and risk is worth, and can quickly make a cost-benefit analysis to prioritize opportunities in order of ROI, and act accordingly.
Spot on.

As a customer AND as an SA, you cultivate your relationship with an eye towards ROI. As with so many relationships, it will wax and wane in terms of giver or taker as time moves on... you need to manage that so both sides feel it is fair.

It took me 3 SAs to find the situation in which I find myself, prior to that there was no 'response', no 'connection', no nothing..just a "go through the motions, this is how it will be, take it or not" persona.

There are some dealers, and some markets, where it is just impossible not to be abused- there are so many fish in the sea, so many people with money and short attention spans, that SAs simply have no need to be overly nice of decent.

I do NOT live in one of those areas. (ie NY Metro, SoCal/LA, SF Bay)
Old 03-18-2011, 02:51 PM
BMW

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
I broadly agree. But...

You worded your post elegantly...so kudos

Rather on the internet or in person HOW you ask for help can and will play a very important role in receiving the help in a timely manner or even any help at all.

Not saying one needs to bow down and kiss someone's a$$ but at the very least be cordial and acknowledge the individual by name...you will find most people in the service industry will go to bat for you. This has no bearing on OPs thread.

Last edited by JW_BMW; 03-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
I broadly agree. But...

1) It's doubtful a person will be an a--hole in a forum, and a sweetheart in person.. could happen, but I'm not buying it. Don't really see the point in it, anyway. If you are just here to berate other members, what's the point?

2) For every person that posts in this thread, 100 more people read it... You can bet some of them are in SoCal..

3) As to your last point.... I'm sure there are a few customers that might show up at the dealership and monopolize your time, on a Saturday... but, in my experience, car salespeople have an excess of time on their hands, and not enough sales contacts... (not saying you, specifically)

regards,
kyfdx
1987 325iS Bronzit (retired)
2011 Z4 Space Gray (retired)
2008 X3 Sapphire Black (retired)
2005 330Cic Silver-Gray (retired)
2003 325i Sport Steel Blue (retired)
1967 2000CS Delphin Gray (retired)
Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I can't get over the attitude that it is somehow your God-given RIGHT to get service history on a used car. Is there any manufacturer on the planet that provides this? Audi? MB? Volvo? Jag? Ford? Caddy? Anyone? Believe it or not, there are companies like CarFax that make a living selling incomplete "history" to potential used car buyers - why would you assume a commercial enterprise that has nothing to gain, would encourage its employees to give away more detailed information - for free - when there is no financial incentive? (I.e. the used car is for sale at a different dealership, or maybe even a private party)?

Sometimes I find the sense of entitlement on these forums truly mind-boggling.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
why would you assume a commercial enterprise that has nothing to gain, would encourage its employees to give away more detailed information - for free - when there is no financial incentive?
Not only is there no incentive, there can be a not-insignificant liability attached to such actions.

Last edited by darbyogill; 03-21-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Just form a friendly relationship with the SA at your dealer, and you'll probably be able to get the info you need. I drop by my dealer fairly often for parts, and will occasionally even bring it in for a service that I don't feel like doing on my own (the nearest reputable BMW indy is 90 miles from me, so it's usually not worth the trip unless it's a very expensive job). I also occasionally bring the service guys a few coffees or snacks and things like that. In return, they're always courteous with me, and if I need them to hunt down some info for me, they always oblige. They've also squeezed me into their schedule even when really busy
Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 m3/2003 540/6
Quote:
Not only is there no incentive, there can be a not-insignificant liability attached to such actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I can't get over the attitude that it is somehow your God-given RIGHT to get service history on a used car. Is there any manufacturer on the planet that provides this? Audi? MB? Volvo? Jag? Ford? Caddy? Anyone? Believe it or not, there are companies like CarFax that make a living selling incomplete "history" to potential used car buyers - why would you assume a commercial enterprise that has nothing to gain, would encourage its employees to give away more detailed information - for free - when there is no financial incentive? (I.e. the used car is for sale at a different dealership, or maybe even a private party)?

Sometimes I find the sense of entitlement on these forums truly mind-boggling.
I really don't see the big deal. Maybe i'm getting old (i'm only 40)? There used to be this thing called "courtesy" once upon a time. Dealers and Sales mgrs used it all the time.

There was a time you could stroll into any dealership and test-drive any car on the floor...any time.

I loved going to the dealer with my Dad on his car purchases in the late 70's and 80's.

Somewhere in this litigious society we now live in all of this must've gotten lost? I dunno.

All i wanted was some service info on a car i purchased. Requested the service history (nicely) in my original post. Requested the info from the original dealer. Then another dealer in my area after receiving some direction here. Then i was educated by some informed posters (mostly positive) as to why my request was not granted.

It's really not that serious guys. There's no need for anyone to get defensive. Nobody's feathers should get ruffled.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 328 xDrive Touring
have you tried your local dealer?
I cant see why he wouldnt share it with you. online and remotely is difficult for dealers because they have no way to proof you have possession of the car. or that you legally own it.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmakr View Post

Somewhere in this litigious society we now live in all of this must've gotten lost? I dunno.
Bingo.

I can think of so many silly scenarios under which BMWNA or dealers could get sued due to service histories, and where courts might actually find them liable. Remember, this is the legal system that found McDonalds liable for giving a customer a hot cup of coffee and not warning her that it could burn if not handled carefully. Prior owner upset that his/her contact info might get revealed? Prior owner upset that any of his/her prior info (such as where they serviced the car, how much they spent, or anything else ridiculous) is revealed? New owner trying to blame BMWNA or dealer if some of the prior service history is not relayed 100% accurately (as in, "you told me the oil was changed at xxxxx miles, so that is why I drove my car for xxxxx more miles before I changed it, and since you were wrong by 1000 miles I want you to pay for _____ damage")? New owner upset because dealer told him _____ part was replaced but in reality it was only repaired/adjusted? The possibilities are truly endless. I can't blame BMWNA for not wanting to open the floodgates.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i