Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: Shopping for X3 35i
Cyclists: Please fill out poll to tell BMW you want an interior bike rack for the F25

The E83 X3 had a great interior bike rack accessory (see http://www.autointell.com/News-2003/...r-26-03-p4.htm and here for photos http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3488192/1/X3?h=c51bc3).

Some reasons to consider an interior bike rack:

1) You can park your car with bikes inside in public places without having to worry that your bikes will be stolen.

2) There is less drag and noise than with the roof cycle rack.

3) Better overhead clearance than with a roof cycle rack (eg for entering underground parking lots or ferries).

The E83 interior bike rack will not fit in the F25 X3 cargo area because the sliders that secure the rack to the luggage compartment rails are fixed and the F25 rails are about 2 inches narrower than those in the E83.

Currently, BMW does not have any plans to update the E83 interior bike rack to fit the new 2011 F25 X3 due to limited demand for the E83 cycle rack.

Joe W., Product Manager X3 and 3 Series for BMW North America, has agreed to push for development of this rack if there is sufficient demand. BMW needs to sell approximately 200 X3s with this rack to break even on the development costs for a new rack. Please fill out this poll http://doodle.com/6i5n9yssi78ebspk#cmt8600860 to tell Joe you are interested in an interior cycle rack for the F25 X3. Joe will receive an email with each poll response.

Please feel free to forward the poll link to anyone else you think might be interested.
Ads by Google
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Passat 1.8T
The poll seems to be closed.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
I need an interior bike rack for my yet-to-be-purchased X3.

2008 535xi: now in lease heaven
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
Well if you look at the overview of the poll and read some comments and the "names" of the people participating in the poll you'll understand why the poll was closed. What a bunch of idiots. Or maybe it was just one jerk? Don't know. I was with you on this Kurneval. But the internet got in the way
Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Yep, that is how I interpreted it, as well, except the description, idiot or jerk, was kinder that what I had in mind. I am also would be interested in an alternative to my current standard rear hatch mounted "universal" rack. A roof rack is too high, and I am told putting a hitch on my X3 will cost $1300, ouch.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
How does the interior vertical clearance on the F25 compare with the E83?

I have the interior rack for my E83, but it looks like the F25 roof slopes down more, leaving less clearance for a bike.

And now I find out its narrower too, despite the exterior dimensions being wider?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
That's a huge oversight if there won't be an interior rack available. I assumed when I saw the slots in the interior that my old one would fit, or they'd come out with a new one.

Being able to carry my very expensive bikes safely in the car is a huge plus.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Road or Beach

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
How does the interior vertical clearance on the F25 compare with the E83?

I have the interior rack for my E83, but it looks like the F25 roof slopes down more, leaving less clearance for a bike.

And now I find out its narrower too, despite the exterior dimensions being wider?
I think this will be the problem. I am fairly short and ride a 54cm bike and don't have a huge seat to bar drop but my bike will not standup in my X3 I have to lean it. I would love to have an interior rack but I can't be adjusting seat height every time I take the bike.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_cyclist View Post
I think this will be the problem. I am fairly short and ride a 54cm bike and don't have a huge seat to bar drop but my bike will not standup in my X3 I have to lean it. I would love to have an interior rack but I can't be adjusting seat height every time I take the bike.
I have a 54cm too. In my E83 it's necessary to remove the seat post + saddle to use the interior rack. I can lay the bike flat or tilt it without removing them, but that uses up cargo capacity.

Last edited by spokelizard; 03-23-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarify wording