Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-28-2003, 04:43 PM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
Sirius Tuner vs RDS

Can someone explain why BMW chose to allow memorization of the RDS feature which allows automatic scrolling of the name. BUT BMW's headunit doesn't store into memory if you turn SCROLLING ON with the Sirius tuner?

Someone posted in roadfly that this was because BMW felt the scrolling was a distraction when your driving. But if that is the case, why does the RDS Settings get saved and not the auto scrolling?? And why does RDS Auto scroll by default????!!

Another peeve, why does the Sirius auto scrolling only scroll whole words at a time, while the RDS scrolling updates the screen with each new character!

BMW NA, fix the scrolling for Sirius! Its sad that RDS displays better than a 400+ premium radio add on!
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by batm4n
Can someone explain why BMW chose to allow memorization of the RDS feature which allows automatic scrolling of the name. BUT BMW's headunit doesn't store into memory if you turn SCROLLING ON with the Sirius tuner?

Someone posted in roadfly that this was because BMW felt the scrolling was a distraction when your driving. But if that is the case, why does the RDS Settings get saved and not the auto scrolling?? And why does RDS Auto scroll by default????!!

Another peeve, why does the Sirius auto scrolling only scroll whole words at a time, while the RDS scrolling updates the screen with each new character!

BMW NA, fix the scrolling for Sirius! Its sad that RDS displays better than a 400+ premium radio add on!
After reading about RDS and the Sirius (and XM) technical methologies in transmitting information to the radio display, I did not find anything that says that a radio decides how to decode and manipulate what the station will transmit in data. It just decodes or not...

In BMW radios you have the option of having RDS on or off, with a sub option called the Program TYpe (PTY) identification mode, and now on the Sirius module auto scroll on or off. That's it... what RDS or Sirius transmit is what the radio will decode depending if you want to see it or not, nothing else is available for us to adjust to our preferences. You cannot slow down the scroll, or speed it up unless the data transmitted allows you to do it and the radio is coded accordingly, in that specific order.

I have seen nothing, in RDS nor in Sirius, with that capability so far.

Remember, the signaling on these transmissions is in real time. For what you really would like to do you will need something resembling a TiVo for radio, which will store the info for you to, for example, slow down and replay a data event in the display.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:21 PM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
After reading about RDS and the Sirius (and XM) technical methologies in transmitting information to the radio display, I did not find anything that says that a radio decides how to decode and manipulate what the station will transmit in data. It just decodes or not...

In BMW radios you have the option of having RDS on or off, with a sub option called the Program TYpe (PTY) identification mode, and now on the Sirius module auto scroll on or off. That's it... what RDS or Sirius transmit is what the radio will decode depending if you want to see it or not, nothing else is available for us to adjust to our preferences. You cannot slow down the scroll, or speed it up unless the data transmitted allows you to do it and the radio is coded accordingly, in that specific order.

I have seen nothing, in RDS nor in Sirius, with that capability so far.

Remember, the signaling on these transmissions is in real time. For what you really would like to do you will need something resembling a TiVo for radio, which will store the info for you to, for example, slow down and replay a data event in the display.
From what I have seen of the scrolling or for that matter displaying text, it was suppose to be a function of the headunit. I think this can be seen in the 02 Headunits where they do not allow you to read text to the headunit. I think in 03 they allowed CD changers like the alpine to display MP3 labels if your changer supported it. This functionality didn't exist in the early 02 headunits. (I'll try to find the 3 series thread about this)

If this is indeed the case, it would seem that the headunit receives the stream and interprets the data for presentation. I also don't recall seeing scrolling in the RDS on my 01 330, it only displayed the text name of the station. (They could have introduced something new to the signal stream to affect this)

Back to the point.... Scrolling yes it may be a personal preference the way it scrolls out, but my BIGGEST peeve is why is RDS setting allowed to be saved and the AUTOSCROLL not allowed to in the Sirius mode?

You can save virtually any other setting except that.
The mysteries of the headunit.