Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: Now: Infiniti G35X
Attention: oyster/black nappa owners

Hi,

I recently ordered a 550i xdrive - hoping to take delivery by the end of April (it's waiting at the port right now).

I ordered oyster/black in nappa leather. Today I was at the dealer and was looking at a 535i with oyster dakota. I noticed that the oyster-colored plastic on the lower part of the dash (e.g., glove compartment) matches the dakota leather very well - the leather looks like the same grain. Frankly, I found the oyster colored plastic a bit cheap looking... the sales rep was telling me that with the nappa leather, the oyster colored dash (and I guess the inserts in the door panel) will look out of place due to the different grain - I am concerned it will look even cheaper.

For those of you who have oyster/black - any complaints about the oyster-colored plastic on the dash and doors? Also, if you have any photos, I'd love to see 'em.

Thanks!

Jeremy
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I understand your concern, but you needn't worry about this. The Nappa leather in the oyster black is the best looking color for the interior in my mind. It was my first choice, but I couldn't get it with the car I wanted without going to a 550i, so I settled for a 535i Sport with Black Dakota. The door panel is in Nappa as well, so there is no difference in grain.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
No problems, and I do not find it cheap.

Oyster / Black Nappa with Active Vented seats (man, I wish my floors were that clean now!)

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-27-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I understand your concern, but you needn't worry about this. The Nappa leather in the oyster black is the best looking color for the interior in my mind. It was my first choice, but I couldn't get it with the car I wanted without going to a 550i, so I settled for a 535i Sport with Black Dakota. The door panel is in Nappa as well, so there is no difference in grain.
He's also talking about the lower dash panel. The whole dash, even the upper black part, is the "standard" grain pattern. I don't have Nappa, but I don't think the graininess of the lower dash panel will detract from the seats and door panels. I'd be more concerned with the long-term upkeep of the softer, very light colored leather. I know it looks great new, but the Dakota will probably hold up better and be easier to maintain over time (my opinion). That said, it's the perforated Nappa Oyster/Black that really makes the interior in that color. I first saw it in a 7-series but I wasn't going to pay for Nappa and the Dakota just didn't look as "expensive" in the light color as my final choice of Cinnamon.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 03-27-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 AM

The contrast in graininess from Nappa versus the plastic and rubber portions of the vehicle are in fact noticeable. However, I don't think it's much of a big deal. You really have to have your face about 6 inches away to notice. Also, you're only sitting and touching the leather. You'll forget the contrast in about a week. You'll love the Nappa forever.

Symmetry of grain Dakota

Contrast with Nappa

Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM

very helpful - thanks very much!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
I have the perforated oyster dakota and it looks stunning. Waaaay better than the standard dakota leather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seats.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	272222  
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Have that color combo with ventilated seats. Looks great!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer38lms View Post
Hi,

I recently ordered a 550i xdrive - hoping to take delivery by the end of April (it's waiting at the port right now).

I ordered oyster/black in nappa leather. Today I was at the dealer and was looking at a 535i with oyster dakota. I noticed that the oyster-colored plastic on the lower part of the dash (e.g., glove compartment) matches the dakota leather very well - the leather looks like the same grain. Frankly, I found the oyster colored plastic a bit cheap looking... the sales rep was telling me that with the nappa leather, the oyster colored dash (and I guess the inserts in the door panel) will look out of place due to the different grain - I am concerned it will look even cheaper.

For those of you who have oyster/black - any complaints about the oyster-colored plastic on the dash and doors? Also, if you have any photos, I'd love to see 'em.

Thanks!

Jeremy
I have Oyster/Black in Nappa with the ventilated seat option. It looks and feels beautiful. The difference in texture is not an issue at all between the dash material and the seats. In fact, the difference in texture is actually a plus. Since they are different materials they should be different, and the subtle but coordinated juxtaposition of colors, shades, textures and patterns is a design element off any luxury product. In my opinion, The combination of oyster/black ventilated nappa with anthracite wood is stunning. In this combination, there are quite a few different textures that add to the overall ambience: The glossy polished dark wood contrasts with the satin finished aluminum trim. The black textured matte finished dash upper sets off the oyster dash lower panel. The smooth nappa leather contrasts subtly with the perforated center sections of the seats, and if you look closely, the perforated center section is yet a different kind of leather, neither smooth nappa nor roughly textured dakota. The ventilated Nappa seats substantially improve the overall feel of the interior, in my opinion.

Some have commented that they were concerned with the wear and tear of the light color. I have found it to be easy to maintain, and black lower door panels and black carpet make the whole package easy to keep looking new.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
My only issue was the seat back in front of where my 4 year old sits. I sit WAY back so he was getting dirty footprints all over the back of the seat. I was cleaning it each week but noticed it was getting harder.

I purchased a Chelsea Seat Back Protector from Rover Gear in black and installed the pair. I think it looks pretty good for what it is. It conforms to the seat nicely and although it is undoubtedly an afterthought product, it almost looks OEM the way it conforms to the contours of the seat. It has a really nice feature of securing it to the headrests that you cannot use in the BMW as the front headrests are not removable. If anyone wants a pic on my car I can take it but here is a stock photo on an Audi:

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-28-2011, 08:59 AM

@vortexx
Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexx View Post
I have Oyster/Black in Nappa with the ventilated seat option. It looks and feels beautiful. The difference in texture is not an issue at all between the dash material and the seats. In fact, the difference in texture is actually a plus. Since they are different materials they should be different, and the subtle but coordinated juxtaposition of colors, shades, textures and patterns is a design element off any luxury product. In my opinion, The combination of oyster/black ventilated nappa with anthracite wood is stunning. In this combination, there are quite a few different textures that add to the overall ambience: The glossy polished dark wood contrasts with the satin finished aluminum trim. The black textured matte finished dash upper sets off the oyster dash lower panel. The smooth nappa leather contrasts subtly with the perforated center sections of the seats, and if you look closely, the perforated center section is yet a different kind of leather, neither smooth nappa nor roughly textured dakota. The ventilated Nappa seats substantially improve the overall feel of the interior, in my opinion.

Some have commented that they were concerned with the wear and tear of the light color. I have found it to be easy to maintain, and black lower door panels and black carpet make the whole package easy to keep looking new.

Feeling better about the oyster/black nappa decision - but now after seeing the pictures, I'm now regretting NOT getting the anthracite trim. I ordered it in the (non-high gloss) Ash Wood trim... Hope it looks nice. Does anyone have a pic of the non-high gloss ash wood? The dealer tells me the brochure and bmw.ca website photos are incorrect and they were unable to show it to me in the showroom. The high-gloss ash wood trim in the pics looked too light. The anthracite (when I first looked at it although I've now changed my mind) looked too dark. The funny thing is, the dealer had two cars with the exact same trim - their computer system had one listed as high-gloss ash wood and the other listed as non-high gloss ash wood. If anyone has one, I'd love to see a pic of the non-high gloss ash wood. Grrr... wish I had found these forums before I placed my order.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Feeling better about the oyster/black nappa decision - but now after seeing the pictures, I'm now regretting NOT getting the anthracite trim. I ordered it in the (non-high gloss) Ash Wood trim... Hope it looks nice. Does anyone have a pic of the non-high gloss ash wood? The dealer tells me the brochure and bmw.ca website photos are incorrect and they were unable to show it to me in the showroom. The high-gloss ash wood trim in the pics looked too light. The anthracite (when I first looked at it although I've now changed my mind) looked too dark. The funny thing is, the dealer had two cars with the exact same trim - their computer system had one listed as high-gloss ash wood and the other listed as non-high gloss ash wood. If anyone has one, I'd love to see a pic of the non-high gloss ash wood. Grrr... wish I had found these forums before I placed my order.
Sounds like different trim is available in Canada. In the US we have anthracite, "dark" (kind of very dark walnut) and "light" woods. They're all glossy. Yours sounds like something from the 7 series.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM

hmmm.. sounds like it. My best guess is that the Canadian advertised "ash wood" is the same as the US "dark" whereas the Canadian advertised "high gloss ash wood" is the same as the US "light." I can't be sure of this, but most of the sales reps have told me that the "high gloss" was actually a lot lighter than the non-high gloss ash wood. If you go to bmw.ca and build a car, you'll see what I mean.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
hmmm.. sounds like it. My best guess is that the Canadian advertised "ash wood" is the same as the US "dark" whereas the Canadian advertised "high gloss ash wood" is the same as the US "light." I can't be sure of this, but most of the sales reps have told me that the "high gloss" was actually a lot lighter than the non-high gloss ash wood. If you go to bmw.ca and build a car, you'll see what I mean.
The US "dark" is very dark burl, much darker than what they called dark in my previous '08 335i. It's not a "red" wood, but it is warmer tone, more like walnut, than our "light" which is more like a pecan wood. Anthracite is more neutral, not quite grayish, still has some brown tone but has a hint of olive as well in some lighting. Goes very nicely with my Cinnamon.