Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 x6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamirano View Post
Hello:

We purchased a new 2011 X3 less than one month ago (January 2011) and the car has been back to the dealer two times with an "oil sensor malfunction light". The first time they said they replaced the sensor. After driving the car a couple of days the light came back on. Back to the dealer, they kept the car for 8 days the second time stating that they needed a BMW engineer to come and take look at car, after they had the car for eight days they said they took care of problem by blowing it out and removing the oil and then replacing the oil. The car after less than a week has the same problem again. This will be the third and last time I will take the car back for this problem. I am already checking out LEMON LAW attorneys in the area. The car has 1,000 miles on it and I have driven a loaner more than my own car. At this rate I don't think BMW knows how to fix this problem When i went to the dealer and spoke the salesman that sold us the car he stated that ALL the X3's that they have sold have come back with this same problem. I don't know if you have received any different information, but I am not liking what I hear. Good luck to you.
This is really starting to bum me out. I ordered a x6 soon after they came out and 'lived' with the battery discharge problems for two years including being stranded. Finally the factory bought it back and gave me a credit, and I ordered two x3's in January. I am going to be very, very pissed if BMW launched another new model that is flawed.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarienJim View Post
This is really starting to bum me out. I ordered a x6 soon after they came out and 'lived' with the battery discharge problems for two years including being stranded. Finally the factory bought it back and gave me a credit, and I ordered two x3's in January. I am going to be very, very pissed if BMW launched another new model that is flawed.

You are surprised and why? First gen vehicle, first gen plant, first gen everything. I will be very amazed if it doesn't have issues.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to M Power
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
Quote:
That discharging issue seemed to be incurable for many people. I guess just like 97-2010 X3 with their substandard 6sp auto where problems never seemed to go away for some people.

On the other hand, I've never had any problems with my BMWs so far which is why I keep coming back to it. My 4.8 X5 has over 55k, no battery problem, just one tail light that went out and the rest has been just bmw maintenance. Can't say anything about the future but if past is any indication, it looks good so far. Because of that I have no reason to believe my X3 35i will be any different, but who knows. A few hundred miles on it and it drives better than all my expectation of X3s.

From this thread, two people who's having problem indicated that their cars were 28i. Is this BMW's first year putting NA 3.0 litre without dip stick?
2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
2001 M5 -sold-
2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
2000 M Roadster -sold-
1995 325is -sold-
Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 x6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
You are surprised and why? First gen vehicle, first gen plant, first gen everything. I will be very amazed if it doesn't have issues.
Because when you spend $45k for a car they should have the kinks worked, esp. from a German manufacturer. I expect this type of crap on a $20k GM car.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3
FYI - still no return of the malfunction light ... all is well with the vehicle. Seems to have worked out whatever the issue was.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Because when you spend $45k for a car they should have the kinks worked, esp. from a German manufacturer. I expect this type of crap on a $20k GM car.
Yeah that is what I said when I almost got killed the first time because the AT stuttered while entering a turn about. However, the cheerleaders felt that was acceptable and I shouldn't be so difficult.

My commentary was pure sarcasm. As I expect top performance when I pay top dollar. However, there seems to be a number of people out there with money to burn or so blase that they think hey maybe the next one will be better Huh. Oh well. If I had that happen I would return the vehicle and tell them to get me one that has been thoroughly checked out before they hand it over. Isn't that what you pay the dealer for in the first place?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-28-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530ia Sport, 2010 Golf
I wonder if this is a common problem for the X3? I wish they just use the dipstick.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: Dodge Neon
Are you guys still having this problem? My wife's X3 28i just started this. It has less than 600 miles on it! This is our first BMW and certainly not what we were expecting from the "BMW Ownership Experience".
Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: X3
It's been ok for the last 3 weeks. They replaced the sensor but it came on again once then it's been good since then. and my advice is to drive it hard.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 AM

@ gizmodo. do u live in a cold climate?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 AM

Yup, it has been fairly cold here in Minnesota over the past few days.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM

some says that it could be from moisture building up in there due to freezing temperature. But what I did that I think helped was that I drove my x3 hard for 40 mins then while parked I let the engine idle for 5 mins then turned the engine off. then I opened the oil cap for 8-10 mins to let the vapors out. try to turn the engine on again afterward if the malfunction is still there. if still there, try again the next day.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 AM

If the problem is really related to moisture, I am a little concerned because something that is designed to sit in the oil better be coated with a layer of oil which would prevent this from happening. I appreciate the suggestion, but I didn't spend this kind of money on a vehicle to be screwing around with it like that. I have my car to turn wrenches on. I'll just bring it in and see what they say.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM

same way I felt.. I was pissed. I went to the dealer 3 times. at 1st they said the battery doesn't have enough charge, 2nd time they said it could be a computer glitch. the 3rd time I brought the car in they changed the sensor then a week later the light came on again then I did the driving hard and opening the oil cap thing and it's been good since then. Good luck. keep us posted
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 AM

We got the car back from the dealership last night. I talked to the service guy and they changed the sensor and oil. He said that BMW is aware of it and is looking for a permanent solution, but for now to just keep calling when it happens so they can document it. I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3
My guess is that the reason no one is posting is because this issue resolves itself. My oil level sensor malfunction has not returned.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:09 AM

I guess...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Hopefully that is the case.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Darian, you wouldn't have "this kind of crap with a $20K GM car" because they still have dipsticks!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
I don't have any warning lights but when I try to see the oil level using the idrive system I noticed that it says it's checking but it never seems to actually give me a read. Is this the same problem? I know that I can just check with the dipstick but I might as well use this feature if the car has it...
Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
I don't have any warning lights but when I try to see the oil level using the idrive system I noticed that it says it's checking but it never seems to actually give me a read. Is this the same problem? I know that I can just check with the dipstick but I might as well use this feature if the car has it...
Be sure and let us know, when you find the dipstick, where it is.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
Good luck with that.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 AM

Well the cold weather came back over the weekend and so did the malfunction. This is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodo View Post
Well the cold weather came back over the weekend and so did the malfunction. This is absolutely ridiculous.
Spring is just around the corner.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM

That doesn't change the fact that this is a 100% unacceptable problem to have with a brand new car. Less than 1500 miles and it has been in twice? Even my Dodge Neon hasn't been in that many times in 6 years and I beat the hell out of that car.