Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5sp - 189K mi
Wind noise from dash

My 1998 528i is making a wind sound that seems to be coming from the dash in the vicinity of the base of the windshield, although it's difficult to pin down. I've searched this topic and checked the usual culprits like the 4 jack supports or the sunroof. No problems in either location. No sound from the doors. The microfilter housings seem tight and where the ducts from these housings go through the firewall are tight. I don't feel any air movement through the dash ducts (or any other ducts) when this sound is present. The blower works fine and moves air where it's supposed to go when I turn it on. The windshield has never been replaced and looks fine. The sound begins at about 30 mph and gets louder the faster I go. It's pretty annoying. Any ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i; '89 240sx race
I see that you say windshield hasn't ever been replaced.....are you 100% certain!? I have seen OEM glass installed by aftermarket companies.

incorrect windshield installation is my bet assuming you're not 100% sure, considering you have checked the other major factors that are usually to blame. if the windshield has been replaced by an aftermarket company, they rarely, if ever, use the BMW technique (found in TIS) which can often result in a windshield that isn't sealed properly (leaks water), or one that makes a ton of wind noise due to improper placement and/or tension.

the other possibility is the foam door seals and/or improper door alignment.

Last edited by mattmartindrift; 03-30-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 e39 525i sport (uk)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daw View Post
My 1998 528i is making a wind sound that seems to be coming from the dash in the vicinity of the base of the windshield, although it's difficult to pin down. I've searched this topic and checked the usual culprits like the 4 jack supports or the sunroof. No problems in either location. No sound from the doors. The microfilter housings seem tight and where the ducts from these housings go through the firewall are tight. I don't feel any air movement through the dash ducts (or any other ducts) when this sound is present. The blower works fine and moves air where it's supposed to go when I turn it on. The windshield has never been replaced and looks fine. The sound begins at about 30 mph and gets louder the faster I go. It's pretty annoying. Any ideas?
even though they may be tight that doesnt mean they arent letting the air in .remove them and check for missalignment or broken seals

2003 525i sport uk import .see pic ^
1997 300 Tdi Landrover Defender
Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 AM

Thanks. I'm certain it hasn't had a new windshield. I bought the car CPO Jan 2000. It was purchased new and serviced at that dealer where I got it. It's never been in an accident. The door alignment looks good. There is some wear on the weatherstripping of the driver's door opening at the rear. I don't hear any sound from the door area, but I'll order new weatherstripping and see if it helps. I'll also take out the air ducts from the microfilters and check those seals. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
A few things can cause wind noise.

For example, missing jack pads:
Wind noise (whistling) due to missing jack pads:
- Jack Pads? Pillar A? Wind Noise
- The Darned'est Thing... No Jack Pads = Wind Noise
- Do the four frame jack rubber blocks do anything?

Or, windshield cover moldings:
- BlackBMWs windshield cover molding DIY
- Agent99's canonical E39 DIY - Glass rubber cover, windshield & rear window thread

Or window regulator problems
- Tape the outside of your windows tight and then go for a highway drive
Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: e30, e39
Missing jack pads and/or sunroof drain pipes loose inside pillar
86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
87 325 300k (project for life) aka 1BADETA/Christine
00 540is 6spd 211k (daily driver)
Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Since I last posted, I replaced the driver's door opening seal. All other door seals look perfect. That didn't help. Next I taped completely around the windshield, with no change in the wind noise. Next I taped around all the windows and sunroof - no change.
The sound is definitely from the base of the dash area. If I move my head far forward near the windshield, it is louder. I can't detect that it's any louder on one side or the other. It's not coming from the A-pillars. There is no perceptible movement of air through any of the ducts with the blower off, but the sound is still there. If I open a rear window, changing the air pressure inside the car, the sound is unchanged. I checked the ducts that go from the microfilter housings through the firewall. There is a rubber seal as well as a foam seal. Both are fine. I was wondering if perhaps the noise was from air that entered the duct system and was escaping from somewhere in the ductwork under the dash. In the past, I replaced the blower motor. So, I wrapped the microfilters in plastic wrap and put them back in, which should have basically eliminated air entering the ductwork and this didn't make a bit of difference. The wind sound is proportional to speed, but isn't a steady sound but is instead "gusty". When I drove the car in a torrential downpour, the noise was higher pitch and more annoying, particularly above 70mph. For those who haven't read the entire thread, I have checked the jack pads and am 100% certain the windshield hasn't been replaced. Any suggestions?