Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
tombeecher tombeecher is offline
Registered User
Location: Canton, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 1985 BMW 528e
N00b: '85 528e Irregular idle / tip off

Esteemed Colleagues:

I've had my 1985 BMW 528e (with the 5-speed manual transmission) since May of 2003. When I bought it it had 148K. It now has 185K although the odometer stopped working a while ago. The timing belt has been replaced by a previous owner and the sticker was applied to the inside cover of the fuse box. I did a major tune up soon after I got it: Spark plugs and wires, rotor, distributor cap, air filter, oil change and oil filter with new drain nut, both fuel filters and the 02 sensor. A while back I replaced BOTH the idle control module AND the idle control valve with new (from Bavarian). Everything was fine (for a while...)

Now (and this is new) the idle has become kind of rough and uneven: It idles fine at 600 - 700 RPM, then misses and rises to say 800 or so. Then back down to 650 to 700. Repeats frequently. In heavy traffic (is there any other kind?) it is difficult to move smoothly in first or second gear at, say, 5 to 15 miles an hour. Even in third gear, it's can be very "herky-jerky" until more throttle is applied. At freeway speeds she's fine - no problemo. Cruise control works fine. The left rear half-shaft and the rubber thing in the middle of the driveshaft have been replaced by a professional mechanic. Oh yes: She's got the 50-mile-an-hour and the "step on the brakes" shimmy, but that's the front end, right? I can have that fixed.

Note: I absolutely L O V E and N E E D this automobile! Anybody got clue?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-13-2010, 01:01 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombeecher View Post
Esteemed Colleagues:

I've had my 1985 BMW 528e (with the 5-speed manual transmission) since May of 2003. When I bought it it had 148K. It now has 185K although the odometer stopped working a while ago. The timing belt has been replaced by a previous owner and the sticker was applied to the inside cover of the fuse box. I did a major tune up soon after I got it: Spark plugs and wires, rotor, distributor cap, air filter, oil change and oil filter with new drain nut, both fuel filters and the 02 sensor. A while back I replaced BOTH the idle control module AND the idle control valve with new (from Bavarian). Everything was fine (for a while...)

Now (and this is new) the idle has become kind of rough and uneven: It idles fine at 600 - 700 RPM, then misses and rises to say 800 or so. Then back down to 650 to 700. Repeats frequently. In heavy traffic (is there any other kind?) it is difficult to move smoothly in first or second gear at, say, 5 to 15 miles an hour. Even in third gear, it's can be very "herky-jerky" until more throttle is applied. At freeway speeds she's fine - no problemo. Cruise control works fine. The left rear half-shaft and the rubber thing in the middle of the driveshaft have been replaced by a professional mechanic. Oh yes: She's got the 50-mile-an-hour and the "step on the brakes" shimmy, but that's the front end, right? I can have that fixed.

Note: I absolutely L O V E and N E E D this automobile! Anybody got clue?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
I would look very carefully at the vacuum lines, hoses, rubber boots, etc. for tears or leaks. Even a bad valve cover gasket or a dirty throttle body or dirty air passages from the IAC valve could cause this. Try removing the IAC and cleaning out those passages with spray carb cleaner. And when did you last have the valves adjusted? Solve this problem then go onto the front end issues.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2010, 02:42 PM
tombeecher tombeecher is offline
Registered User
Location: Canton, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 1985 BMW 528e
N00b: Rough Idle

Catso:

I will do that right away. The car had been sitting in my driveway while I played with the Camaro for some months and now it's winter. Can't drive the Camaro in the snow!

Thank you!

Cheers,

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM
tombeecher tombeecher is offline
Registered User
Location: Canton, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 1985 BMW 528e
Catso:

What do you call that 90-degree assembly with the bellows-shape? It's got a crack in it. The "T" for the vacuum line is cracked, too. I need to order a new one from Bavarian, pronto!

Thanks,

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombeecher View Post
Catso:

What do you call that 90-degree assembly with the bellows-shape? It's got a crack in it. The "T" for the vacuum line is cracked, too. I need to order a new one from Bavarian, pronto!

Thanks,

Tom
Go to RealOEM.com and you can see a diagram and get the exact part number.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 AM
tombeecher tombeecher is offline
Registered User
Location: Canton, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 1985 BMW 528e
Catso:

I just ordered it from Bavarian.

You rock!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
tombeecher tombeecher is offline
Registered User
Location: Canton, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 1985 BMW 528e
I just replaced the intake bellows this morning and now it idles and runs great! What do you call the grease I should be putting around the inside of it at each end? (There is a remnant of it on the old one.) How do I convince the vacuum line from the idle solenoid that goes into the back of it to seat all the way in without tearing or ripping the bellows? The plastic fitting needs some convincing and doesn't want to co-operate.

And, yes, I'm new to maintaining my car myself.

Thanks to the community,

Tom (the newbie)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombeecher View Post
I just replaced the intake bellows this morning and now it idles and runs great! What do you call the grease I should be putting around the inside of it at each end? (There is a remnant of it on the old one.) How do I convince the vacuum line from the idle solenoid that goes into the back of it to seat all the way in without tearing or ripping the bellows? The plastic fitting needs some convincing and doesn't want to co-operate.

And, yes, I'm new to maintaining my car myself.

Thanks to the community,

Tom (the newbie)
Regular petroleum based grease will deteriorate sume types of rubber so maybe you can try a teflon based lubricant or something similar. Liquid dishwashing detergent will also work in a pinch.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2011, 02:55 PM
tombeecher tombeecher is offline
Registered User
Location: Canton, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 1985 BMW 528e
N003 Thanks!

Runs like a top. All good! Many happy miles left in "Old Reliable".

Cheers,

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 AM
henri-61 henri-61 is offline
Registered User
Location: brooklyn n.y.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 1986 528e
86' 528e idle concerns

Hello Tom-I'm a born and raised Detroiter who now lives in Brooklyn N.Y.-perhaps you may read this:My 528e (5spd.)has an 'idle surge' from time to time-I drive it approx. 10k a year-mostly to the D and back, it has 155k and I try to baby it best I can. I love the car so much that I notice every sniffle-living here is not like Detroit, i.e. these aren't car people-even part store guy's are clueless and those that know e28's are hard to come by-my question to you is what or where are the intake bellows?-it will idle normally on warm -up-go a few miles and at a light the surging starts-if I ease the car into early 1st or 2nd gear then back to neutral while at the light and it evens out at about 1k-I'll be in Oakland county this end of March weekend for work and new tags and again in June-July.Any input would be greatly apprec.-BTW-I also have a strained clicking noise coming from the rear right side in the first 2 pulling gears that also increases when I have more weight (such as my 6' 9" roomate) even though I've taken the wheel off and found nothing.- the boots were replaced in 07' and the shaft/guibo in 08'-I'll also use forum as I just joined site today.Thanks in advance and enjoy the best mid sedan EVER MADE.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/ima...ile3453453.gif
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by henri-61 View Post
Hello Tom-I'm a born and raised Detroiter who now lives in Brooklyn N.Y.-perhaps you may read this:My 528e (5spd.)has an 'idle surge' from time to time-I drive it approx. 10k a year-mostly to the D and back, it has 155k and I try to baby it best I can. I love the car so much that I notice every sniffle-living here is not like Detroit, i.e. these aren't car people-even part store guy's are clueless and those that know e28's are hard to come by-my question to you is what or where are the intake bellows?-it will idle normally on warm -up-go a few miles and at a light the surging starts-if I ease the car into early 1st or 2nd gear then back to neutral while at the light and it evens out at about 1k-I'll be in Oakland county this end of March weekend for work and new tags and again in June-July.Any input would be greatly apprec.-BTW-I also have a strained clicking noise coming from the rear right side in the first 2 pulling gears that also increases when I have more weight (such as my 6' 9" roomate) even though I've taken the wheel off and found nothing.- the boots were replaced in 07' and the shaft/guibo in 08'-I'll also use forum as I just joined site today.Thanks in advance and enjoy the best mid sedan EVER MADE.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/ima...ile3453453.gif
The intake bellows is the accordion like large diameter rubber hose from the intake/air filter box to the throttle body. It's held on by hose clamps. You probably need to remove the airbox to remove and inspect the bellows properly. While you have it out, clean the Air Flow Meter and Idle Air Control Valve and the throttle body and its air passages. There's some DIY's on this subject. Find them by searching here and on the Mye28.com forum. My guess is that the rear noise could be rear lateral links (dogbones) or rear subframe bushings.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
528e, e-24, shimmy, uneven idle


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms