Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: E34 525i perfect pixels
99 740iL - Timing chain noise??

This 740 came in with what the owner believed was a miss. Its got a very loud rhythmic ticking. I pulled right valve cover (1-4 side). I can't find any marks where the chain is hitting the cover or the head but it is very loose between the heads where it runs along that U-Rail. The plastic rail on the tensioner is obliterated and i'm assuming the same thing happened on the u-rail. underneath the water pump. So...My question would be has anyone seen the urail grind down enough to cause chain noise hitting the theoretical gap in the rail and slacking the chain between the heads? OR How do i know the vanos didnt fail independently of the slack chain? How do i check Vanos??

Codes:
210 Knock sensor 1
212 Knock Sensor 3
114 Cam 2 position sensor
033 Inlet cam control bank 1
141 Electric fan (not related)

Would VANOS failure set off knock sensors????
Would VANOs failure cause slack in the chain???

This is fun, eh?
Ads by Google
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
It is fun for sure

You should remove the lower oil pan and check the guides . That will save money if the guides are really bad.

What millage has the car ?
Did owner used premium gas only? (knock sensors codes)
Cam 2 sensor code could be related for sensor only.

But all this codes together could be related to a timing issue too.

Depending on the miles I will suspect:
first poor gas quality for knock sensors. They detect detonation. They are both on the same bank, so a bad connection or breakage in the cable is not rule out yet.
cam sensor code could be related to sensor itself, I had that code and it went away with a new cam sensor.
inlet cap control bank 1 what is the code? 1033? I will check that later

Quote : My question would be has anyone seen the urail grind down enough to cause chain noise hitting the theoretical gap in the rail and slacking the chain between the heads?

Something similar happen with the engine I had before , when I brought the car. Finnaly the chain collapsed and the engine had to be changed. Timing guides failure is common if the engine had poor oil maintenance (sludge/gunk or oil not changed often or using non approved oils).

Vanos unit sound : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...173&highlight=