Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Running Toward the Light

Over the past few days I think I've read every post available on the 'fest, on M3 Post and E90 Post regarding replacing the stock halogen angel eye bulbs. Now that I've done my research I have some questions:

1) It looks like there are two major ways to go - either replacing the halogen bulbs with bulbs that are blue coated to shed the "white" light. ie - GP Thunders and competitors

and

2) Replacing the halogen bulbs with an LED bulb ie Angel iBright - Lux H8 - Weisslicht.

I know that the LED replacements are a lot more expensive.

The M3 guys all seem to love the Angel iBright setup ($300), and from what I've seen in photographs, this appears to be a pretty close approximation of what I remember seeing last summer when they had an LCI E93 on display at the Welt.

Yet, when I read the fine print of the sigs around here, it seems like most of the E9X that have made this modification have done so with the GP Thunders. ($20)

1) Is cost the only reason people aren't doing the Angel iBrights?

2) Are the GP Thunders really that good?


ps: E92LIghting, JLeviSW and EAS - I know you all are going to show up here and try to sell me. I've already studied your websites and your products. What I am looking for here is real time - real data from the day to day users.

TIA
__________________
If your sport doesn't put blood, dirt or grease under your fingernails,
then it's just a game.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 PM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Perhaps, I'm confused, but couldn't you just replace them with the OEM bulbs that now come standard on the LCI coupes? Those are white (and LED I presume). Or do those not work, or are they even more expensive.
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 PM
RaceBlood's Avatar
RaceBlood RaceBlood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,269
Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT
I am already confused....the light is too bright, with all my might, I will fight, it will be tight, but the thread will take flight, and be all right.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 335i|Space Gray|Coral Red Leather|6 MT|Sport/Premium/Cold Pkg|Logic 7|HK 300W|Xenon|Hankook V12's|M3 Rear Lip Spoiler|M-Tech Front Aero Spoiler| M-Sport Aluminum pedals| M-Sport Shifter| BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Good question, C-Dub, but the answer is you can't. Apparently the LED's need a ballast and heat sink, which is part of the cost of the conversion kits. Amazing thing is that the Angel ibright system isn't even the top end of things. There is another system OSS which requires you send your headlight units to Florida for retrofitting.

(Cute avatar pic, BTW!)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
I knew you would have already researched that. I guess there is more to the white light than just a bulb change. Seems interesting that an LED bulb needs more heat management than the halogen brethren.

(Thanks.)
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Yep. I'm not an engineer, but it does seem counter intuitive that the LEDs aren't cooler. Most peoples complaints about many of the options are that the outer rings are not fully lit and/or the after market solutions aren't bright enough.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,795
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Over the past few days I think I've read every post available on the 'fest, on M3 Post and E90 Post regarding replacing the stock halogen angel eye bulbs. Now that I've done my research I have some questions:

1) It looks like there are two major ways to go - either replacing the halogen bulbs with bulbs that are blue coated to shed the "white" light. ie - GP Thunders and competitors

and

2) Replacing the halogen bulbs with an LED bulb ie Angel iBright - Lux H8 - Weisslicht.

I know that the LED replacements are a lot more expensive.

The M3 guys all seem to love the Angel iBright setup ($300), and from what I've seen in photographs, this appears to be a pretty close approximation of what I remember seeing last summer when they had an LCI E93 on display at the Welt.

Yet, when I read the fine print of the sigs around here, it seems like most of the E9X that have made this modification have done so with the GP Thunders. ($20)

1) Is cost the only reason people aren't doing the Angel iBrights?

2) Are the GP Thunders really that good?


ps: E92LIghting, JLeviSW and EAS - I know you all are going to show up here and try to sell me. I've already studied your websites and your products. What I am looking for here is real time - real data from the day to day users.

TIA
I think there's another question, Kat. Since your light reflector(s) are now perfectly matched to your OE bulb for an ideal beam pattern, will any replacement bulb be of the same size/dimensions, and not adversely affect your beam pattern.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
I think there's another question, Kat. Since your light reflector(s) are now perfectly matched to your OE bulb for an ideal beam pattern, will any replacement bulb be of the same size/dimensions, and not adversely affect your beam pattern.
I'm not sure I understand your question.
When you say reflectors, I am presuming you mean the corona rings (to use the proper BMW terminology). From what I understand in my reading, that is where many aftermarket solutions fall short.
There is one bulb that illuminated the inner ring and the outer ring is lit purely by reflection off the inner ring. If I correctly understand what I've read, aligning the bulb in the socket is critical to getting the rings to illuminate, let alone illuminate properly.
Apparently, the aftermarket bulbs are the correct dimensions, but we all know that just because its the right size doesn't mean it necessarily does the job properly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,795
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question.
When you say reflectors, I am presuming you mean the corona rings (to use the proper BMW terminology). From what I understand in my reading, that is where many aftermarket solutions fall short.
There is one bulb that illuminated the inner ring and the outer ring is lit purely by reflection off the inner ring. If I correctly understand what I've read, aligning the bulb in the socket is critical to getting the rings to illuminate, let alone illuminate properly.
Apparently, the aftermarket bulbs are the correct dimensions, but we all know that just because its the right size doesn't mean it necessarily does the job properly.
Like this:

http://www.expresstirecenter.com/doc..._schematic.png

having had a cadre of "yute" engineers who were constantly modding their cars, several of your words above ring true: "...many aftermarket solutions fall short."

Last edited by pointandgo; 04-01-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Bcube's Avatar
Bcube Bcube is offline
Combat Commuter
Location: Valley of the Dirt People, SoCal
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,973
Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Is this an April's Fools or worse - on of the signs of the coming apocalypse? I thought you were dead set against any mod that didn't have BMW OEM stamped all over it.

Terry has an alternative that is priced right, I've thought of buying next time one of my AE lights burnt out.
http://burgertuning.com/BMW_Angel_Eyes_H8_Bulbs.html
__________________
-Brian
"Used cars are our entry cars." - Luca di Montezemolo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
I don't know if that is really an issue with the Corona rings. This modification would not affect the adaptive Xenon or the inner cornering lights. I don't perceive the corona rings as having a beam pattern so to speak.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Is this an April's Fools or worse - on of the signs of the coming apocalypse? I thought you were dead set against any mod that didn't have BMW OEM stamped all over it.

Terry has an alternative that is priced right, I've thought of buying next time one of my AE lights burnt out.
http://burgertuning.com/BMW_Angel_Eyes_H8_Bulbs.html

I thought I was dead set against any non OEM thing too. Then we went to the Welt last summer and I got to see the LED angel eyes on the E93 there and I fell deeply into lust.

Besides, it's kind of a para-OEM thing. BMW has already done it - I'm just thinking of freshening the '09.

That is why I've done so much research - trying to find the right color, the right intensity....

EDIT: The photo from Terry's website is a good explanation of what I would like to accomplish generically.

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 04-01-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Inline Sixer's Avatar
Inline Sixer Inline Sixer is offline
smooth like butter
Location: Northeast Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,518
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Next to the yellowish hue of the corona lights on my 2010 X5, the ones on my 2011 E93 appear bluish white. I really love how it looks. Was this "white light" an OEM "upgrade" for certain model years onward?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 PM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is offline
Original *****
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,270
Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
I am already confused....the light is too bright, with all my might, I will fight, it will be tight, but the thread will take flight, and be all right.
These lymric threads never last....

OP,

I'm going to go with these

City Vision E92 H8 White Angel

these

LUX H8 E92/E93 M3 BMW V3 NEW

or these

GP THUNDER 8500K H8 PLASMA V2
__________________
Fc Bayern Deutschermeister ja so heißt er mein Verein,
Ja so war es und so ist es und so wird es immer sein

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 04-01-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 AM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,304
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Kat, I'm thinking that the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras might be an option. I would imagine they make an H8 Silverstar bulb. I'd like to do the same to my '06 E90.

I'm sure you've already done this, but here is a google search for h8 bulb - http://www.google.com/search?q=h8+bu...ient=firefox-a
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-02-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Inline Sixer's Avatar
Inline Sixer Inline Sixer is offline
smooth like butter
Location: Northeast Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,518
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
These lymric threads never last....
I think the thread title set the stage for these poetic responses. I'm glad some responses were able to "shed light on the matter". arrgh. must. resist. puns...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 AM
guerilla twang's Avatar
guerilla twang guerilla twang is offline
I do my crosswords in pen
Location: KC
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,925
Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
Kat, I know many people who have had great luck with Mtec V2's as well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline Sixer View Post
Next to the yellowish hue of the corona lights on my 2010 X5, the ones on my 2011 E93 appear bluish white. I really love how it looks. Was this "white light" an OEM "upgrade" for certain model years onward?
Yes, the LED angel eyes on your cabrio are part of the E92/E93 LCI facelift. Since I plan on keeping my E93 quite a while and I don't have to worry about turning it in on a lease, I thought improving the angel eyes to the updated configuration (or as close as I could get to it) might be a worthwhile thing to do.

From all my reading, the biggest reason I've been hesitant to jump into the bulbs like the GP Thunders is many people say they dim over time or aren't very bright in full daylight. Can/would you post a pic of your cabrio angel eyes in full daylight?

(ps: I thought about a thread title of "Blinded by the Light", but I knew that would definitely engender silly song response.)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Kat, I know many people who have had great luck with Mtec V2's as well.
Do you have first hand experience with them?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 AM
guerilla twang's Avatar
guerilla twang guerilla twang is offline
I do my crosswords in pen
Location: KC
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,925
Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Yes, the LED angel eyes on your cabrio are part of the E92/E93 LCI facelift. Since I plan on keeping my E93 quite a while and I don't have to worry about turning it in on a lease, I thought improving the angel eyes to the updated configuration (or as close as I could get to it) might be a worthwhile thing to do.

From all my reading, the biggest reason I've been hesitant to jump into the bulbs like the GP Thunders is many people say they dim over time or aren't very bright in full daylight. Can/would you post a pic of your cabrio angel eyes in full daylight?

(ps: I thought about a thread title of "Blinded by the Light", but I knew that would definitely engender silly song response.)
The only AE replacements that can offer that kind of intense brightness are OSS and possibly LUX.

Quote:
Do you have first hand experience with them?
I have a friend in town that has them, yes. What would you like to know?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM
andyffer andyffer is offline
WTB - your E39 M5
Location: Southwest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,216
Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
get a new E93!
__________________
Unencumbered by the thought process

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM
guerilla twang's Avatar
guerilla twang guerilla twang is offline
I do my crosswords in pen
Location: KC
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,925
Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
lol andy..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,334
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
The only AE replacements that can offer that kind of intense brightness are OSS and possibly LUX.



I have a friend in town that has them, yes. What would you like to know?
Interesting that you mention the LUX. From what I've read, Angel iBright are brighter than LUX. LUX is not quite as pricey. OSS way more pricey.

That is why I was really hoping to turn up someone who has done the Angel iBright to get their take on it.

GT, since you seem to run with a pack, do any of your friends have a new coupe that could be parked next to your friends car with the Mtecs and a comparo photo taken?


Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
get a new E93!
LOL. I just turned 11K yesterday - it is essentially a 'new' E93.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,585
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Let there (not) be light. In NH we have annual safety inspections, each vehicle is done in the month of the owner's birthday. Naturally we are required to check lights. To paraphrase to the best of my ability...

"All factory equipped exterior lights must function as intended. No lights of any kind may be added to the exterior. All bulbs must be of the same wattage, color, and type as those which were certified for the vehicle."

We could not issue a safety sticker for a car modified the way you intend Kat. We are not a high crime area, so yes, the State and local cops do stop and ticket cars for modified lighting. I know this because the owners come to me to sign off on a form saying that they reverted to the original (at least while it was at my shop)
TX; YMMV

Edit One of my techs went on to become a city cop. He works the graveyard shift and often is on call to twist wrenches if we get busy. He has said that he rarely stops cars just for a light infraction, but will give a ticket as an add-on for attitude. What all cops constantly stop for is window tint on the front door windows and windshield. They really dislike the stuff.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 04-02-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-02-2011, 07:32 AM
guerilla twang's Avatar
guerilla twang guerilla twang is offline
I do my crosswords in pen
Location: KC
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,925
Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Interesting that you mention the LUX. From what I've read, Angel iBright are brighter than LUX. LUX is not quite as pricey. OSS way more pricey.

GT, since you seem to run with a pack, do any of your friends have a new coupe that could be parked next to your friends car with the Mtecs and a comparo photo taken?
Angel iBright are great from what i've read. I've seen some LUX in person out at a meet in St. Louis and they were brighter than all get out (on an overcast day). OSS are top of the line for sure, I'm not a fan of opening the headlight enclosure at all. Besides I don't think they work on prelci e90's, and I prefer my stock yellow anyway.

Funny you ask that, we're having a g2g tonight, I will try to get the guy to come out. Sadly we don't have any new coupes to compare too, but I can try to get you some shots so you can compare on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
What all cops constantly stop for is window tint on the front door windows and windshield. They really dislike the stuff.
In some cases it would be like walking up to a mirror. How safe would you feel if there could be a weapon behind it? Not very. Cops are very strict about that stuff in KC. We also have a notoriously high crime rate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms