Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT
Kat, whatever you decide, and if the outcome is positive and to your standards, I am going to go that route...I saw a spankin new335i today with the white angel eyes, like em better than the audi eyelashes...
Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 AM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Yes, the LED angel eyes on your cabrio are part of the E92/E93 LCI facelift. Since I plan on keeping my E93 quite a while and I don't have to worry about turning it in on a lease, I thought improving the angel eyes to the updated configuration (or as close as I could get to it) might be a worthwhile thing to do.

From all my reading, the biggest reason I've been hesitant to jump into the bulbs like the GP Thunders is many people say they dim over time or aren't very bright in full daylight. Can/would you post a pic of your cabrio angel eyes in full daylight?

(ps: I thought about a thread title of "Blinded by the Light", but I knew that would definitely engender silly song response.)
Will work on the pictures Kat.

But I'll have to give my cabrio a full wash and polish the rims a bit so as not to embarass myself. Yikes.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
E92 Fanatic

Mein Auto: 335xi
I went with GP thunders 6K for my angels cause of price ($20), easy simple install (just remove & replace), and hated OEM yellow. The other alternatives are definitely better and brighter but there is a price that comes with it.
The reason why BMW changed them recently to bright white instead of yellow was thanks to all the new Audi cars with their bright LEDs

My Blog || My Flickr || My Tumblr || My Twitter || My Facebook|| My 500px
Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Let there (not) be light. In NH we have annual safety inspections, each vehicle is done in the month of the owner's birthday. Naturally we are required to check lights. To paraphrase to the best of my ability...

"All factory equipped exterior lights must function as intended. No lights of any kind may be added to the exterior. All bulbs must be of the same wattage, color, and type as those which were certified for the vehicle."

We could not issue a safety sticker for a car modified the way you intend Kat. We are not a high crime area, so yes, the State and local cops do stop and ticket cars for modified lighting. I know this because the owners come to me to sign off on a form saying that they reverted to the original (at least while it was at my shop)
TX; YMMV.
DSX,
You always present rational, logical counterpoints and give food for thought. I had no idea that making a modification of this type which not be putting weird colored lights on the car could be grounds for failing an inspection. Then again, when I was contemplating my almost invisible tint you explained that tinted windows are verboten in NH. (NH runs a tight ship!)

How would one go about searching for Texas Safety Inspection Rules and Regs?
My Indy mechanic has already told me he hopes if I ever get stopped the LEO has a sense of humor about the umlat on my license plate. I would hope that because the newer E92s and E93s have the LED angel eyes that putting them on an '09 might slip under the radar.

I have a PM in to one of the 'festers that lives here in town who indicated in one of the M3 Post threads I read about the Angel iBrights that he planned on getting them. He may be able to shed some light on the Texas Inspection guidelines which would be very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
Kat, whatever you decide, and if the outcome is positive and to your standards, I am going to go that route...I saw a spankin new335i today with the white angel eyes, like em better than the audi eyelashes...
That's putting a lot of pressure on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline Sixer View Post
Will work on the pictures Kat.

But I'll have to give my cabrio a full wash and polish the rims a bit so as not to embarass myself. Yikes.
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
I think DSX is onto something. Automotive lighting is regulated by federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS 108) which most, if not all state's will recognize. The luminosity (brightness) of headlights (and other lamps) is regulated, thus replacement lights must carry the "DOT" marking or they are illegal (I feel like an old fart now). Make sure that any replacement bulbs that you get are marked 'DOT.' Made in China? Don't even THINK about it!

Last edited by pointandgo; 04-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Kat, what I say and what I might do are not neccessarily the same. I just wanted you to be aware that lighting modification may run afoul of the law. Little did I know at the time that you were scarifying license plates with umlauts! Get a grasp there Bonnie, or you and Clyde are going down!
I took the side reflectors off my front fenders, guess what the law says about that...I've made engine mods and not had them EPA certified, again I'm going straight to jail. And I've got things on my windshield partially obstructing the driver's field of view! But what is life without a little spice, and this is small potatos (mixed metaphor?).
I'll see what I can find out about TX vehicle safety requirements for you. In the meantime, full speed ahead! (I'd do it.)
Old 04-02-2011, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E91 328xiT
Quote:
Let there (not) be light. In NH we have annual safety inspections, each vehicle is done in the month of the owner's birthday. Naturally we are required to check lights. To paraphrase to the best of my ability...

"All factory equipped exterior lights must function as intended. No lights of any kind may be added to the exterior. All bulbs must be of the same wattage, color, and type as those which were certified for the vehicle."

We could not issue a safety sticker for a car modified the way you intend Kat. We are not a high crime area, so yes, the State and local cops do stop and ticket cars for modified lighting. I know this because the owners come to me to sign off on a form saying that they reverted to the original (at least while it was at my shop)
TX; YMMV

Edit One of my techs went on to become a city cop. He works the graveyard shift and often is on call to twist wrenches if we get busy. He has said that he rarely stops cars just for a light infraction, but will give a ticket as an add-on for attitude. What all cops constantly stop for is window tint on the front door windows and windshield. They really dislike the stuff.
DSX...I'm glad you posted this because I was always under the impression that exterior lighting regs on vehicles were all governed by federal law. It is interesting to me because when I had my Audi A4 (prior to my MINI) I remember a lot of people wanting to switch to xenons as they had just come out and it was considered a big red flag to get pulled over because back then, many of the replicas were completely obvious colour wise and lots of people were getting pulled over.

Since I've been on this board, I've seen tons of posts about people switching their headlights - either to OEM or other. I just assumed the laws had changed as it seemed much more pervasive here.

And BTW, I love how NH's inspection is on the owner's birthday. When I picked up my car (in Stratham) they told me that - I thought - ha, genius!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Minor poster (only 490) is invisible! I request permission to post through DSX from now on.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaultf1 View Post
DSX...I'm glad you posted this because I was always under the impression that exterior lighting regs on vehicles were all governed by federal law. It is interesting to me because when I had my Audi A4 (prior to my MINI) I remember a lot of people wanting to switch to xenons as they had just come out and it was considered a big red flag to get pulled over because back then, many of the replicas were completely obvious colour wise and lots of people were getting pulled over.

Since I've been on this board, I've seen tons of posts about people switching their headlights - either to OEM or other. I just assumed the laws had changed as it seemed much more pervasive here.

And BTW, I love how NH's inspection is on the owner's birthday. When I picked up my car (in Stratham) they told me that - I thought - ha, genius!
Kat, here's your link. Everything you wanted to know about the law. Just plug in your search terms and away you go.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp.../item_insp.asp
I checked lighting, specifically headlamps, and they are not as specific as NH. They have the catch all "Must be of an approved type." That says everything and nothing.

Hi renault, no the law didn't change, drivers got smarter. Eventually word gets around that there is fine print at the bottom of the back of the package which says...."For off road use only." What???
CCIII June, be there?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Minor poster (only 490) is invisible! I request permission to post through DSX from now on.
It's all about quality my man, not quantity. You're good.

(As is every one of you, that was not meant to be a snarky remark.)
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Hi renault, no the law didn't change, drivers got smarter. Eventually word gets around that there is fine print at the bottom of the back of the package which says...."For off road use only." What???
CCIII June, be there?
Yes, as long as CCIII doesn't fall June 17 - June 25 (I'm drinking wine in Provence)...I'm in!!! looking forward to meeting you - and the rest of the 'Festers...
Old 04-02-2011, 01:25 PM

HID "For off road Use"

http://www.sema.org/files/attachment...rsion-Kits.pdf
Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
And here I thought DSX was pulling my leg! Thx
Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaultf1 View Post
And here I thought DSX was pulling my leg! Thx
Not meant to scare Kat...just to provide relevant information for decision making.
(desperately trying to reach 500 posts)

Last edited by pointandgo; 04-02-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added the word relevant
Old 04-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Not invisible!!! Ya'll just decided to run with the thread while I was out running around. It's fun to come home and see some valuable information.

Quote:
Kat, here's your link. Everything you wanted to know about the law. Just plug in your search terms and away you go.
I checked lighting, specifically headlamps, and they are not as specific as NH. They have the catch all "Must be of an approved type." That says everything and nothing.

CCIII June, be there?
Thanks for the link DSX, and God Bless Texas!!!!!

Quote:
Not meant to scare Kat...just to provide relevant information for decision making.
(desperately trying to reach 500 posts)
To clarify: The Angel iBright system is NOT HID it is LED. I am trying to determine if the $300 LED system is in fact a better more like the OEM light souce, or if GP thunders at $20 for a set will serve the purpose. On the way home from my excursion a brand new 5 series passed me going the opposite direction with its LED DRLs engaged. WOW! It is very overcast here today and the LED AEs are very noticeable.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT
As to the poster way back claiming BMW changed their LED/HID lights cuz Audi had them is incorrect. They changed em, like Mercedes too, as they are brighter running lamps, and therfor safer, though more expensive, and a new technology the Germans embraced first, in a few years, most the Japs will have em too...and better detroit cars (Caddy). They are far more visible, therfor, safety factor increases..unless your going 120mph in a 55mph...

Motorcycles will be the next big user of the lights, which is an excellent application of the technology, as they dont have much frontal area to see when cars turn out into oncoming traffic...

Last edited by RaceBlood; 04-02-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Omnia in modum

RB
I seem to remember seeing a post here about 6-9 months ago about BMW putting LED tech into their motorcycle head lamps.

Isn't that leading edge of engineering and technology part of the appeal? Is is for me.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
RB
I seem to remember seeing a post here about 6-9 months ago about BMW putting LED tech into their motorcycle head lamps.

Isn't that leading edge of engineering and technology part of the appeal? It is for me.
Nothing since the invention of steam power is worth a tinker's damn. All tools of the devil.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 04-02-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Having lived in Houston, TX for a short time some years ago (horrible experience), the sooner your headlights can reflect on an armadillo's eye's, the better, in order to avoid hitting it. The animal's eye has what is called "tapetum lucidum" as with other mammals. Is this Kat's incentive...to avoid animal collision damage? With improved lighting, you may also be able to see a rogue Texas longhorn on the road at a greater distance. I know about this, having had close calls during my Texas experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum

(think I'm at 500 now, am I still a minor poster? Further posts will be more pertinent)

Last edited by pointandgo; 04-02-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Having lived in Houston, TX for a short time some years ago (horrible experience), the sooner your headlights can reflect on an armadillo's eye's, the better, in order to avoid hitting it. The animal's eye has what is called "tapetum lucidum" as with other mammals. Is this Kat's incentive...to avoid animal collision damage? With improved lighting, you may also be able to see a rogue Texas longhorn on the road at a greater distance. I know about this, having had close calls during my Texas experience.

(think I'm at 500 now, am I still a minor poster? Further posts will be more pertinent)
Can't say that I didn't learn anything today. Bimmerfest, my fallback source for information. To paraprase Will Rogers, all I know is what I read in Bimmerfest.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I once failed vehicle inspection in Texas because my steering wheel (which I had changed) was too small. They were just playing me though. It passed in a different shop.

I think you'd be fine brightening up those halos, Katster, and I want to know what you eventually choose. I may join you in that mod.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:

LOL Pointandgo. While I have stared down a few wildlife species (possums and yes - an armadillo) these days my main nemesis is texting while driving SUV owners. But, if I decide to do this and catch any flak from the state inspectors I will immediately claim I am doing it because I can't bear the thought of mowing down an armadillo with my german road machine while I traverse the Addicks Reservoir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I once failed vehicle inspection in Texas because my steering wheel (which I had changed) was too small. They were just playing me though. It passed in a different shop.

I think you'd be fine brightening up those halos, Katster, and I want to know what you eventually choose. I may join you in that mod.

I promise to let you know. I've read the Texas Inspection info (thanks DSX) and I think I'll be fine. Heck, if they let guys run around in their camouflaged pickup trucks with turret seats and light banks mounted in the bed - my little E93 with gussied up halos should be fine.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
"Gussied up" great TX phrase.

You know Kat, I bet you clean up real good.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

CCIII June, be there?
Quote:
Not invisible!!! Ya'll just decided to run with the thread while I was out running around. It's fun to come home and see some valuable information.

Thanks for the link DSX, and God Bless Texas!!!!!

To clarify: The Angel iBright system is NOT HID it is LED. I am trying to determine if the $300 LED system is in fact a better more like the OEM light souce, or if GP thunders at $20 for a set will serve the purpose. On the way home from my excursion a brand new 5 series passed me going the opposite direction with its LED DRLs engaged. WOW! It is very overcast here today and the LED AEs are very noticeable.
Kat, I can tell you that my car has passed Texas' inspection with aftermarket DEPO LED brake lights. At my next inspection my car will have DEPO LED brakes lights and Amber LED turn signals. It will have to pass, if for no other reason than that they look so dang good.

I was looking in my owner's manual last night trying to find specs on the bulbs used on my car. What I found was "Parking lamps, roadside parking lamps, 5 watt bulb, W 5 W". Is this what we are talking about? From the picture it looks like it must be. There are separate instructions and bulb types for the headlights, DRLs and turn signal lights.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-02-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Kat, have you looked at these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...Q5fAccessories . Here's the Ebay search I did - http://motors******.ebay.com/i.html?...506.m270.l1313 - Bimmerfest is being weird - type ****** where the asterisks are. Or just do your own search. You don't need me to take hold your hand, do you?

I think I'm going to buy a set of these from the same seller - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-03-2011 at 12:18 AM.