Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
A couple years ago, I bought a pair of GP Thunder 8500K for $16 + $5 shipping. They've served me well. The color output is much whiter than stock and more closely matches the HID xenons. They look great at night, dusk and dawn, but can look slightly washed out in full and direct sunlight. That’s why I'm debating about getting the Weisslicht LED's.

As far as inspections go, I've never had any problem. If you think about it, how could they give you a hassle? Angel eyes are just DRL's which are not required by law anyway. In my iDrive, and I suppose the OBC stalk as well, you can choose whether enable or disable the DRL's all together.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
"Gussied up" great TX phrase.

You know Kat, I bet you clean up real good.
Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
I guess so......when I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Kat, I can tell you that my car has passed Texas' inspection with aftermarket DEPO LED brake lights. At my next inspection my car will have DEPO LED brakes lights and Amber LED turn signals. It will have to pass, if for no other reason than that they look so dang good.

I was looking in my owner's manual last night trying to find specs on the bulbs used on my car. What I found was "Parking lamps, roadside parking lamps, 5 watt bulb, W 5 W". Is this what we are talking about? From the picture it looks like it must be. There are separate instructions and bulb types for the headlights, DRLs and turn signal lights.
Hey, thanks for the regarding your car passing Texas inspections with alterations. It widens the comfort zone tremendously - and yes, it's the DRLs that I am specifically planning on altering.

Quote:
Kat, have you looked at these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...Q5fAccessories . Here's the Ebay search I did - http://motors******.ebay.com/i.html?...506.m270.l1313 - Bimmerfest is being weird - type ****** where the asterisks are. Or just do your own search. You don't need me to take hold your hand, do you?
I think I'm going to buy a set of these from the same seller - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Of course not. I've done some reading - there are a lot of aftermarket solutions out there with the price ranging from $20 to nearly $600.

These are similar to the Angel iBrights in that they are LEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerfsBimmer View Post
A couple years ago, I bought a pair of GP Thunder 8500K for $16 + $5 shipping. They've served me well. The color output is much whiter than stock and more closely matches the HID xenons. They look great at night, dusk and dawn, but can look slightly washed out in full and direct sunlight. That’s why I'm debating about getting the Weisslicht LED's.

As far as inspections go, I've never had any problem. If you think about it, how could they give you a hassle? Angel eyes are just DRL's which are not required by law anyway. In my iDrive, and I suppose the OBC stalk as well, you can choose whether enable or disable the DRL's all together.
Thanks for your comment about inspections - more evidence to make me move forward.

I've pretty much ruled out the GP Thunders now, based on real life commentary - and I appreciate that people have jumped in and expressed what they have and what their thoughts are after running with them for a while.

Here is the link to the M3 Post that really steered me toward the Angel ibrights.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=angel+ibright

On another thread GTwang posted a link to an E90 post thread that really was a great comparison between the different aftermarket solutions. If I can find his link I'll repost it here.

I went into this thinking I'd go with Weisslicht, I soon started thinking LUX would be better and now I'm really settling on the Angel iBright. (They aren't the cheapest solution, but if they do the job as well as the photographs I've seen - then I think I can be happy with them.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Here is the link to the M3 Post that really steered me toward the Angel ibrights.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=angel+ibright

I went into this thinking I'd go with Weisslicht, I soon started thinking LUX would be better and now I'm really settling on the Angel iBright. (They aren't the cheapest solution, but if they do the job as well as the photographs I've seen - then I think I can be happy with them.
Geez, I was just looking at various options for upgrades and I stumble on this thread, weird!

I've tried the LED ringmarkers, and whilst they work well in the dark, in daylight they are not the best.
If I was based in the US, OSS would be a no brainer for me, however taking out my headlights and shipping them across the Atlantic leaves me overly concerned. I had considered buying second hand units and shipping them over, but the costs made this prohibitive.
I'd settled on the LUX H8 Angel Eyes, then saw the Weisslicht on JLevis site, and now to further muddy the waters, Kat brings up the Angel iBright!

I noticed the link Kat provided was headed up by Tom @EAS.
Tom provided the harness for my recent LCI rear tail light conversion, and he was great in terms of providing info about my purchase and I can only recommend his outfit.

I think my last paragraph has swayed my decision, I'll go with Tom.

Thanks Kat
Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
I just ordered GP THUNDER 8500K H8 PLASMA V2. My car's still under warranty and the dealership would not install a LED system. This should hold me off until my warranty expires and then the LED options should be much cheaper. Perhaps by then a 3d Party (LCI Coupe) replicas for the E90 will be on the market.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by "The Don" View Post
Geez, I was just looking at various options for upgrades and I stumble on this thread, weird!

I've tried the LED ringmarkers, and whilst they work well in the dark, in daylight they are not the best.
If I was based in the US, OSS would be a no brainer for me, however taking out my headlights and shipping them across the Atlantic leaves me overly concerned. I had considered buying second hand units and shipping them over, but the costs made this prohibitive.
I'd settled on the LUX H8 Angel Eyes, then saw the Weisslicht on JLevis site, and now to further muddy the waters, Kat brings up the Angel iBright!

I noticed the link Kat provided was headed up by Tom @EAS.
Tom provided the harness for my recent LCI rear tail light conversion, and he was great in terms of providing info about my purchase and I can only recommend his outfit.

Thanks Kat
But now I am leaning toward LUX H8. (I thought I would add more mud). I really wish someone with the Angel iBrights and the LUX would step in here and help out. Of course if you get the Angel iBrights you could be my first hand opinion point.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Of course if you get the Angel iBrights you could be my first hand opinion point.
In the UK it's Ladies first Kat

Let me know what the Lux H8's are like, I'd send roses (by PM )
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335i xDrive
Kat,

Derrick from E92Lighting has amazing lighting products.

I bought 2 x GP Thunders 7500 and 2 x MTec 4500.

The GP's I installed for the Corona's, the MTec's for the Fog Lights.

MTec's are much brighter than the GP's, but both are equally as nice. They are a very economical solution $20 bucks to getting rid of the ugly amber Philips bulb.

If you are serious about LED's, then I would try to track down a unit similar to the ones found in the 2011 E93's. It'll probably cost a few hundred, as LED is more expensive than the H8 bulb replacements. Plus there is no plug and play with LED. You will have to remove your front wheels to install the full LED Unit (dont pay BMW to do this, because they charge an arm and a leg for manual labour).
Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 AM

Also,

Have you asked your dealer what it would cost to have 2 Full LED Headlamp units compatible with the LCI E93 shipped from the Austrian factory to the dealership and installed?

Your car is made for the unit since its the refresh. It wouldn't violate warrenty since its an original BMW product.

The question is, would they be willing to order you a set if you paid?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4RIN View Post
Kat,

Derrick from E92Lighting has amazing lighting products.

I bought 2 x GP Thunders 7500 and 2 x MTec 4500.

The GP's I installed for the Corona's, the MTec's for the Fog Lights.

MTec's are much brighter than the GP's, but both are equally as nice. They are a very economical solution $20 bucks to getting rid of the ugly amber Philips bulb.

If you are serious about LED's, then I would try to track down a unit similar to the ones found in the 2011 E93's. It'll probably cost a few hundred, as LED is more expensive than the H8 bulb replacements. Plus there is no plug and play with LED. You will have to remove your front wheels to install the full LED Unit (dont pay BMW to do this, because they charge an arm and a leg for manual labour).
S4RIN,

Thanks for the input.

The Angel iBrights and LUX systems are LED, and they are more or less "plug and play". Also, I don't have a sedan. The Coupe and Cabrio headlights are accessed from the engine compartment, not the wheel well. I've ruled out the Halogen bulbs and have full intention of spending the $200-300 needed. And no worries, based on my reading my little fingers will be needed to get into the cramped confines of the headlight housing so I won't be taking it to the dealership to have these installed. I'm a DIY kind of gal.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
DAMN they new angel eyes are bright. pretty intense coming outside when it kinda dark and those things are blinding you
do the ibrights

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Also,

Have you asked your dealer what it would cost to have 2 Full LED Headlamp units compatible with the LCI E93 shipped from the Austrian factory to the dealership and installed?

Your car is made for the unit since its the refresh. It wouldn't violate warrenty since its an original BMW product.

The question is, would they be willing to order you a set if you paid?
Noooo. My Cabrio is an '09. Pre LCI for the E93.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
But now I am leaning toward LUX H8. (I thought I would add more mud). I really wish someone with the Angel iBrights and the LUX would step in here and help out. Of course if you get the Angel iBrights you could be my first hand opinion point.
Kat, if you want to wait a bit, I ordered the ones for my car from that Ebay seller. They shipped today. I'll let you know how they work out if you like. The ones they sell for your car are only $99 and they come with a one year warranty.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I do my crosswords in pen

Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
ttu, i'll be interested in hearing about your experience with them since we have the same model.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Noooo. My Cabrio is an '09. Pre LCI for the E93.
So the dimensions/cut out on the body and electrical specifications of the unit are different? They 2009, 2010, 2011 all look the same in the E92/E93.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
S4RIN,

Thanks for the input.

The Angel iBrights and LUX systems are LED, and they are more or less "plug and play". Also, I don't have a sedan. The Coupe and Cabrio headlights are accessed from the engine compartment, not the wheel well. I've ruled out the Halogen bulbs and have full intention of spending the $200-300 needed. And no worries, based on my reading my little fingers will be needed to get into the cramped confines of the headlight housing so I won't be taking it to the dealership to have these installed. I'm a DIY kind of gal.
Give it a go with the system you like best. It'll be a fun DIY project. If you do not like the results, you can always turn to your Plan B or C, until you get desired results.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Kat, if you want to wait a bit, I ordered the ones for my car from that Ebay seller. They shipped today. I'll let you know how they work out if you like. The ones they sell for your car are only $99 and they come with a one year warranty.
I will definitely wait and see what you have to report. The more information I can get before pulling the trigger means the less chance for having to do multiple iterations before I get it right.
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
Quote:
So the dimensions/cut out on the body and electrical specifications of the unit are different? They 2009, 2010, 2011 all look the same in the E92/E93.
If you look closely, you'll see that the light units for the 2011 E92/E93 are different than the ones for the 2010/2009/2008/2007 E92/E93

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 04-06-2011, 05:44 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
..and I will post pics of the inferior GP THUNDER 8500K H8 PLASMA V2. When I get them installed.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I've ordered the Angel iBrights from Tom, so it's just a question of waiting for them to wing there way across the Atlantic.

Fitting is a piece of cake, so I'll let you know how they work out
Old 04-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
I've ordered the Angel iBrights from Tom, so it's just a question of waiting for them to wing there way across the Atlantic.

Fitting is a piece of cake, so I'll let you know how they work out
I expect pics to be posted!

Seriously, I am very anxious to know how they work out. If they look as nice as the pics on the EAS website and have no overheating or coding issues, I can't imagine why they are such a well kept secret.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
jocamryn, I also look foward to pics, in full sunlight plz.

Quote:
...based on my reading my little fingers will be needed to get into the cramped confines of the headlight housing so I won't be taking it to the dealership to have these installed. I'm a DIY kind of gal.
The drivers side easy easy as pie. The passenger side is a whole 'nother story and I always manage to gouge my hands up. Wish I had small hands...hmm....maybe not.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I expect pics to be posted!

Seriously, I am very anxious to know how they work out. If they look as nice as the pics on the EAS website and have no overheating or coding issues, I can't imagine why they are such a well kept secret.
'Your item left the United States from ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) at 10:16 pm on April 10, 2011'.

It will be a while yet Kat, they've (Angel iBrights) probably already arrived at Heathrow but the package will need to be checked -
firstly for illegal immigrants (you'd be amazed how often dwarfs get through) and then all sorts of noxious substances.

If the plane went anywhere near Japan there is a good chance they won't work at all, but emit a soft but deadly glow!

Either way I'll let you know, I have a geiger counter on standby.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
'Your item left the United States from ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) at 10:16 pm on April 10, 2011'.

It will be a while yet Kat, they've (Angel iBrights) probably already arrived at Heathrow but the package will need to be checked -
firstly for illegal immigrants (you'd be amazed how often dwarfs get through) and then all sorts of noxious substances.

If the plane went anywhere near Japan there is a good chance they won't work at all, but emit a soft but deadly glow!

Either way I'll let you know, I have a geiger counter on standby.
I'm looking forward to it! I may not have to splurge with the AE's as I will be transiting through Japan in 10 days and then I may glow too!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
I'm looking forward to it! I may not have to splurge with the AE's as I will be transiting through Japan in 10 days and then I may glow too!
...transiting through Japan...Good grief, Kat, I hope your transit is a short one. Radioactivity and constant ground movement; one thing after another. My neighbor, "crazy Al" wears a dosimeter badge fearing wind blown "elements" but he takes everything too seriously. Safe return!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
...transiting through Japan...Good grief, Kat, I hope your transit is a short one. Radioactivity and constant ground movement; one thing after another. My neighbor, "crazy Al" wears a dosimeter badge fearing wind blown "elements" but he takes everything too seriously. Safe return!
Thanks, PnG.
Hopefully, we will not have a hardstand at Narita and don't have too long of a layover. Doing a takeoff in a 777 on a shifting runway isn't high on my list of fun adventures.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793