Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to wdaveweaver Send a message via Yahoo to wdaveweaver Send a message via Skype™ to wdaveweaver
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Airbag Light now on?

Hey guys, I know there are tons of threads here about this, but I thought I'd toss it out there again to get some advise. This morning my airbag light popped up when I fired the car up and stays on. Now after searching it seams the mostlikely culprits are the Pass Seat Occupancy sensor and the Belt Tensioner? I guess the only way to know exactly is to have it scanned and I'm gonna see if I can have my friend at the dealer do it or how much should I expect to pay an Indy to scan it? Also, any other advise on what could cause this issue and how to diagnose until I can get it scanned?

Ads by Google
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: E46 2000 318ise
Hi. Try one of these- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories .Plug and play. Jim
Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjdavis1 View Post
Hi. Try one of these
Interesting.

I'm going to add this to the VERY best of E39 Links for solutions to the airbag SRS light reset!

- What can cause an SRS airbag light (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & what tools reset the fault (1) (2) (3) (4) & what happens when window regulator fixers disconnect the airbag before the battery or they connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag (1) (2) & where to buy an airbag occupancy sensor bypass unit (1).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airbag_sensor_bypass.png
Views:	1844
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	274236  
Old 04-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Wanna detail that a disabled srs system is,dangerous and there have been cases where the air bag can deploy randomly

You should avoid using the,car until its,fixed
Old 04-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to wdaveweaver Send a message via Yahoo to wdaveweaver Send a message via Skype™ to wdaveweaver
Guys, it looks like the peake tool only goes up to 2003 models and mine is a 04' - any suggestions on scanners for SRS so I can find the code to determine the problem and then a reset tool? Kinda weird that the code stays and then needs to be reset as on my 95' TransAm I did some Airbag/SRS work and had to replace the SRS computer. Once the fault or problem in the system was removed the system reset itself and turned off the light. Maybe this is the case in the older SRS computers?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci 5M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjdavis1 View Post
Hi. Try one of these- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories .Plug and play. Jim
or you may build a DIY bypass-unit yourself and save $23
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post5887955
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_platform View Post
or you may build a DIY bypass-unit yourself and save $23
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post5887955
Yes, I know, thx man. However, before I start going and splicing things up and putting patches together, I wanna diagnose that that is actually the problem and it's not something else. That's why I am trying to figure out the 04' SRS system and see if it acts as I stated above or if the code is stored and must be cleared even when the problem is resolved? Plus wanna look for a code reader that will work from Peake.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_platform View Post
or you may build a DIY bypass-unit yourself
Adding THAT to the bestlinks too!

The whole goal is for every thread to add value that can be found in the right spot in just a few seconds.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 AM

Ok guys, finally got it scanned by my buddy and was throwing a driverside airbag (code 13) warning and not the passenger side. Very weird and we reset the code to see what would happen and hasn't come back yet. I've driven it 50 miles and 2 days and it checks out fine - no codes. Also, the wheel has been turned from chock to chock (all the way each side) to see if maybe it is a problem with the clock spring, but still no issues. I'll keep an eye on it, but just thought this was really strange.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM

For the cross linked record, someone asked for related help today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Occupancy Sensor Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgreene39 View Post
I have a 1998 528i, it appears to have an airbag light on. I have been told that it is my occupancy sensor in the passenger seat that is the issue. I looked up some stuff and i see people are selling and buying a device that can be integrated into the seat to trick the car into thinking that someone is sitting there. Let me know if this is a good idea...

Last edited by bluebee; 08-04-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:24 AM

Just for the record, there are two good occupancy sensor threads users might wish to consult that I just found by searching to help someone with an airbag issue:
-> SRS light fix. (Passenger seat mat) DIY
-> Passenger occupancy sensor
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need