Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
Low cluster - Access your engine temperature

I saw a video online of the high cluster, so I figure I do one for the low...

Old 04-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Nice job.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Nice.

So that others find this easily in the future, I'll add a pointer in the best links:

Doing a search for on-board computer /OBC(F3) in the bestlinks, I find:
- How to unlock your HI-OBC. Kinda sucks if you don't got this upgrade. I think ALL 540's have HI-OBC while only SOME (and i don't think it's much either) 528/525's have HI-OBC's.
- QSilver's unlocking the instrument cluster OBC and resetting oil service intervals
- How to tell if you have the high or low OBC instrument cluster
- Unlock OBC & Test or this
- How to unlock the low/high OBC on-board-computer cluster for diagnostics (1) (2)
- How can I tell if I have the High or Low OBC?
- How do I unlock the OBC (Low and High)?
- How to unlock the low/high OBC on-board-computer cluster for diagnostics (1) (2) and quickie telephone instructions for unlocking the high instrument cluster on the E39 (1)

Putting all that together with this thread, we get something like:

- How to tell whether you have the high or low on board computer cluster (1) & a nice video to unlock the low OBC (1) or the high OBC cluster for diagnostics (1) (2) and quickie telephone verbal instructions for unlocking the high instrument cluster on the E39 (1) & how to change the OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8).
Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 AM

See also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reveiler View Post
Found it!

This one explained it alright, as long as you have the codes and explanations as well which goes

01: Car ID, Hardware and Software Version Number, Production Date of Car
02: Instrument Cluster Test (All Digits, LED's, Lamps and Needles)
03: The actual fuel consumption (while riding) in Litre/100km or Litre per hour
04: Average fuel consumption in Litre
05: Range
06: unused
07: The actual amount of fuel in the fuel tank (in litre)
08: (My favorite! You can see that in many of my movies!) The actual speed in Km/h
09: Battery Power in Volts
10: Language (US, Spa, Ger, Jap, GB, Fra etc)
11: change am/pm
12: Average Speed
13: ETA
14: ROM Code of your Software
15: Diagnosis Information
16: unused
17: Car specific Data
18: Alarmtype
19: Lock/Unlock (Used to unlock the OBD menu from 3-21)
20: Fuel Consumption Correction Factor (Don't mess with that!)
21: Reset of Boardcomputer (ATTENTION:Will clear all stored Data!(Time,Date,Radio...)

Basically you hold the "reset km" pin till the menu pops, go to menu 19, click on it while it says "off", then wait for it to go back and Select menu number 9 which displays volt. But like mentioned, can only be used when engine not running.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:30 AM

There are so many good graphics from QSilver7 that I don't know where to put them, so, I'll add the ones from this thread today so that others can more easily find them:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > 1997 low cluster
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
The instructions for resetting the (low) OBC is in the very last paragraph...after the text that is underlined in blue:
Old 10-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 04/1997 528i Auto,
Yeah I do the temp thing all the time, with as many times as Q has posted the steps to follow for low cluster I figure it didn't need a video, but now there is a video and future generations of E39 owners will rejoice in the ease and convience!! I plan on teaching all these things to the next owner after me,. Along with handing him my ever expanding 3 ring binder of recipts, car parts numbers, order confirmations, explainations of work I've done and why.. So he'll know what parts are in the car, what brand the part is, and at what milage it was installed. I'm maybe too thorough.

Last edited by JDeGraff89; 10-26-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: too many typos to let slide,