Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i/325ic/328ic/540i/650
Can someone do me a big favor?

I seem to be having a problem with this mother#$%^&g TPMS malfunction. I'm not even sure if the sensors are even on. Can someone post a pic of what it looks like on, from the outside? I think I have them but not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance.

Ads by Google
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Bmw 335i E92
I think its if the stems are metal, at least on my lexus with TPMS thats how you tell. Also an 07 should have it.. Did it come with the M6 wheels? Maybe the person who put them on didn't switch over the TPMS?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 AM

I think in fact they're on but want to make sure.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Bmw 335i E92
just let some air out and see if the warning pops up. lol jk. (but it would work)
Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Rastafari

Mein Auto: 645ci
You cant see it from the outside it is built into the valve stem on the inside of the tire
Illustration #10 Shows you where it sits
# 8 is the actual sensor

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E6...c_ctrl_unit-2/

Last edited by Jah Rastafari; 04-15-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:38 AM
539 South!

Mein Auto: 08 650 Conv
Not only need the metal stems but also the TPMS sensor which is glued inside the inflated portion of the wheel. If you have reset the TPMS, and you don't have a flat, I would assume the sensors are not inside the tires. I swapped wheels, swapped stems, neglected the sensor glued in the wheel, and the idiot light stays on no matter how often I "reset" TPMS. When I replace the run-flats (by the way at 15,000 miles due to wear on the inside edge) I will then install the sensors properly.

08 Stratus Gray
Cream Beige/Dark Wood
HUD/Night Vision
Lane Departure
Passport 9500CI w/GPS
Resonator delete & added "X-Pipe"

Current Toys:
Sea-Doo RXT-X aS 260 (supercharged, intercooled, Fox Shock Remote Res suspension) handles chop like a dream!
Ski-Doo Renegade X ETEC800 & 500ss
Polaris RZR800s - TURBO!
26ft Hurricane w/twin Yamaha 150 Outboards
Ford F250 6.7 King Ranch

Previous Toys:
2004 M3 SMG
40 foot Mainship Sedan Bridge
Yamaha GP 1300R waverunner
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post
Not only need the metal stems but also the TPMS sensor which is glued inside the inflated portion of the wheel. If you have reset the TPMS, and you don't have a flat, I would assume the sensors are not inside the tires. I swapped wheels, swapped stems, neglected the sensor glued in the wheel, and the idiot light stays on no matter how often I "reset" TPMS. When I replace the run-flats (by the way at 15,000 miles due to wear on the inside edge) I will then install the sensors properly.
Glued? Nope, they are attached to the metal stem as Jace_91 said. I just had my tire off/repaired yesterday.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316

Last edited by djfitter; 04-15-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 AM
539 South!

Thx DJF, I was half-listening to the tire swinger and I thought he used the word "glue" referencing the re-install of tpms into the wheels. The posts are helpful as I am solving the same problem next month when I spring for new rubber.

08 Stratus Gray
Cream Beige/Dark Wood
HUD/Night Vision
Lane Departure
Passport 9500CI w/GPS

Current Toys:
Sea-Doo RXT-X aS 260 (supercharged, intercooled, Fox Shock Remote Res suspension) handles chop like a dream!
Polaris RZR800s - TURBO!
Ford F250 6.7 King Ranch

Previous Toys:
2004 M3 SMG
Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 AM

If I don't have them on, is it worth it to put them in? Even though I don't need new tires.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM
539 South!

Watch the sites for a set and thrown 'em in when you change the rubber. I'm not terribly concerned not having them in the wheels, and i've gotten better at ignoring the dash light. If you check your pressure regularly, say at least monthly, then all the TPM does is tell you your tires is flat - after the fact. May be I'm missing something (or a few somethings) but I guess TPM's are a peace-of-mind factor for those that can't check tire pressure.

08 Stratus Gray
Cream Beige/Dark Wood
HUD/Night Vision
Lane Departure
Passport 9500CI w/GPS

Current Toys:
Polaris RZR800s - TURBO!
Ford F250 6.7 King Ranch

Previous Toys:
2004 M3 SMG
Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Laslonimne
Mein Auto: 650i Cabriolet
Quote:
... all the TPM does is tell you your tires is flat - after the fact. May be I'm missing something (or a few somethings) but I guess TPM's are a peace-of-mind factor for those that can't check tire pressure.
When I first purchased my 6 and was driving it home from San Diego on I10, I was cruising through the desert at 85mph or so and got the tire warning. I had no idea what it was, so I pulled over and dug out the owner’s manual. I got out, walked around and looked at all the tires, then decided it must be a computer malfunction – damn used car. So I reset the computer and fired it back up. Cruised along at 75 for twenty or so miles and the warning came back on. So I pulled over and kicked all the tires. They looked just fine. So I pulled back on the highway and got back up to speed. I swerved the steering wheel back and forth and felt nothing - the car was handling just fine. But I decided when we hit Gila Bend I would check the tire pressures. When I finally pulled over after fifty or so miles at speed after the first warning I was shocked to see a rather large HOLE, maybe three inches, in the sidewall of my right front tire where the tire was ripping away from the wheel. I got on the phone and found a Firestone dealer in north Phoenix that would stay open until I got there. Then I drove another 80 miles at 50 mph – worried the whole time that the tire was going to self-destruct, taking my fender with it.

My point is this: the runflats are amazing when flat and driving in a straight line. But they are NOT safe when flat. If I had needed to do a quick swerve to avoid a hazard, the wheel would have dug into the road. I can’t imagine how they hold up under very hard braking.

So for me, as long as I’m running the runflats, proper TPMS function is critical. I would NOT hit the road without it.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Watch the sites for a set and thrown 'em in when you change the rubber. I'm not terribly concerned not having them in the wheels, and i've gotten better at ignoring the dash light. If you check your pressure regularly, say at least monthly, then all the TPM does is tell you your tires is flat - after the fact. May be I'm missing something (or a few somethings) but I guess TPM's are a peace-of-mind factor for those that can't check tire pressure.
If it's a catastrophic type situation, yes it tells you immediately. It also notifies you long before it is flat if it is a slow leak. I had a nail in mine and being that I check pressures regularly, I caught the minor drop (about 1 lb a day) before the TPMS did. My air compressor sits right by that tire so I would just give it a lb or whatever daily, and go about my day until I got around to getting it fixed. The other day before checking tire pressure I had started my car and there was the TPMS warning. Checking with my gauge, the tire was down to 23 lbs. Obviously the slow leak wasn't so slow anymore. I then took it in for repair so I didn't ruin a $400 dollar tire.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 PM
539 South!

@ DJ, the tire repair was a run-flat? I heard (again possibly incorrectly) that RF's are not repairable. When I change the tires next month I'm going to standard tires and carring the BMW "mobility" kit. Speaking of tires, i'm going to post a question about the seemingly lopsided wear on the rears. Reply to that when I post as it seems you have plenty of knowledge to share

08 Stratus Gray
Cream Beige/Dark Wood
HUD/Night Vision
Lane Departure
Passport 9500CI w/GPS

Current Toys:
Polaris RZR800s - TURBO!
Ford F250 6.7 King Ranch

Previous Toys:
2004 M3 SMG
Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
@ DJ, the tire repair was a run-flat? I heard (again possibly incorrectly) that RF's are not repairable. When I change the tires next month I'm going to standard tires and carring the BMW "mobility" kit. Speaking of tires, i'm going to post a question about the seemingly lopsided wear on the rears. Reply to that when I post as it seems you have plenty of knowledge to share
Yes it is a RFT. Michelin PS2 ZP to be specific. A $400 RFT with less than 2K on it that I didn't want to replace. That being said, A Run Flat Tire is just that. A tire. And as such can be repaired under certain conditions.
1 Can't have been driven with NO air.
2 Can't be repaired if the puncture is in the side wall, applies to all tires.
3 Can't repair a bubble (sidewall)

My tire was dismounted, plugged, patched, remounted, and rebalanced for nothing by the place I chose on TireRack for delivery of my Michelin's. Maybe they came with some road hazard warranty I didn't know about or it was good will towards a repeat customer. I will go back, also because they are close.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
My 06 doesn't have the valve stem TPMS type system.... It has a different type of monitoring where the vehicle can determine thru car behavior or something like that when a tire is going flat. I just turn it on and reset it when necessary like putting on new tires. It works. You might have the same type of system...
Let some air out, you'll know if its working....

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
My 06 doesn't have the valve stem TPMS type system.... It has a different type of monitoring where the vehicle can determine thru car behavior or something like that when a tire is going flat. I just turn it on and reset it when necessary like putting on new tires. It works. You might have the same type of system...
You have FTM, Flat Tire Monitor, I think using the ABS, that it detects a rotational difference in tires that are low/flat. There are no tire sensors.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 04-16-2011, 04:27 AM
539 South!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
Agree w DJ, my 04 M3 had something that recognized the rotational difference. Had to reset it each time wheels were removed or air pressure raised/lowered.

08 Stratus Gray
Cream Beige/Dark Wood
HUD/Night Vision
Lane Departure
Passport 9500CI w/GPS

Current Toys:
Polaris RZR800s - TURBO!
Ford F250 6.7 King Ranch

Previous Toys:
2004 M3 SMG