Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Thanks, PnG.
Hopefully, we will not have a hardstand at Narita and don't have too long of a layover. Doing a takeoff in a 777 on a shifting runway isn't high on my list of fun adventures.
I have a friend who is flight attendant with Continental and they were on final approach to land in San Fran when the 1989 earthquake hit. All the lights on the runway went out and communications went down with the tower and they had no clue what was going on. They had to pull up with no real guidance until the emergency power kicked on at the tower. And traffic control was down, so they had to circle and visually look for airplanes until they got diverted to another airport. She said it was just a little unsettling.

But that won't happen to you!!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
I have a friend who is flight attendant with Continental and they were on final approach to land in San Fran when the 1989 earthquake hit. All the lights on the runway went out and communications went down with the tower and they had no clue what was going on. They had to pull up with no real guidance until the emergency power kicked on at the tower. And traffic control was down, so they had to circle and visually look for airplanes until they got diverted to another airport. She said it was just a little unsettling.

OK, no need to upset the passenger; I'm sure there's enough trepidation. Looking forward to the DIY!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
OK, no need to upset the passenger; I'm sure there's enough trepidation. Looking forward to the DIY!
LOL. I've been on a flight into LAX where we had to abort the landing and circle for a 2nd attempt because the pilot in front of us was a rookie and took too much runway. I've got 776K elite qualification miles and platinum status with Continental so this won't be my first rodeo. Baptism by fire was being in the air inbound to NY from Milan on 9/11/2001. You've heard of those plane people that landed in Gander, Newfoundland? I was one of them.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
LOL. I've been on a flight into LAX where we had to abort the landing and circle for a 2nd attempt because the pilot in front of us was a rookie and took too much runway. I've got 776K elite qualification miles and platinum status with Continental so this won't be my first rodeo. Baptism by fire was being in the air inbound to NY from Milan on 9/11/2001. You've heard of those plane people that landed in Gander, Newfoundland? I was one of them.
Not to derail your thread (I will delete this very soon), I've flown into the remarkable Kansai International Airport (Osaka area) numerous times...a man-made island. The Professor, as a civil engineer should be fascinated by this undertaking. It has sunk 26' since its construction (slower more recently), and the landing fees are $7,500 for a 747...discouraging many airlines. I flew into Narita in the '80s...at that time it was protected by guard towers and riot police in armored vehicles as the airport expansion (eminent domain land capture) had caused riots. Land is so precious in Japan. At least buy a Japanese fan at the souvenir shop.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Not to derail your thread (I will delete this very soon), I've flown into the remarkable Kansai International Airport (Osaka area) numerous times...a man-made island. The Professor, as a civil engineer should be fascinated by this undertaking. It has sunk 26' since its construction (slower more recently), and the landing fees are $7,500 for a 747...discouraging many airlines. I flew into Narita in the '80s...at that time it was protected by guard towers and riot police in armored vehicles as the airport expansion (eminent domain land capture) had caused riots. Land is so precious in Japan. At least buy a Japanese fan at the souvenir shop.
Derailleur accepted, so don't delete. We flew out of Osaka in 2007 and in and out of Hong Kong a couple of times, the most recent being December 2010. Those reclaimed runways alway boggle my mind. This trip's final destination is Taipei.

Of course, we could move this over to OT and add a layer to the asian intrique.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM

moved

Last edited by pointandgo; 04-12-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: moved
Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Asian intrigue indeed. I could recommend a hotel in Taipei, but they don't specialize in female guests. Definitely an OT topic. (it's not a Gay thing).

Had several suits made in Taipei...real cheap. Got back to Boston and stood at a bus stop too long...the entire left side (sun side) completely bleached out from the sun...vs. the right side. I didn't notice anything until after I was rejected for the job interview. I wondered why they were staring at me. Imagine: left side PINK, right side brown. So humiliating. Mr. Quan never returned my calls.
I had a suit made in Hong Kong this winter. I am a pretty good judge of fabric so I hope mine doesn't meet the same demise.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Kat, if you want to wait a bit, I ordered the ones for my car from that Ebay seller. They shipped today. I'll let you know how they work out if you like. The ones they sell for your car are only $99 and they come with a one year warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
ttu, i'll be interested in hearing about your experience with them since we have the same model.
Quote:
I will definitely wait and see what you have to report. The more information I can get before pulling the trigger means the less chance for having to do multiple iterations before I get it right.
Thanks!
Kat (and twang), I got the lights about a week ago and I just finished installing them on one side. They look great. I'll try to get a pic up here pretty soon.

I'm really please with the quality of the product.

Now my coronas have the same color as my xenons. It does give the car an up to date look.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

I am really looking forward to the pic, Red Raider.

Do they fill the whole corona?

ps: I like what you are doing with the screen names

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 04-13-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
I am really looking forward to the pic, Red Raider.

Do they fill the whole corona?

ps: I like what you are doing with the screen names
Kat, I just tried to take pics with my phone and all it gets is a big blob of white on one side and a big blob of yellow on the other. I'll try again later.

The pics at the end of the .pdf below show what they look like.

They fill the entire corona and are exactly the same color temperature as the xenons.

Now I have LED coronas (at least I will on both sides tomorrow) and LED brake and amber LED rear turn signals. I have Silverstar ambers on the front, so I don't have the egg yoke look.

I figure supporting members deserve to be recognized at all times.

twang, you need to get either these - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-08...Q5fAccessories , or these - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!h8E2JUonrT8BNilLkcYYQ~~0_12.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	274472   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKiME1zS1WeQFBNgnw6cYlQ~~0_12.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	274473  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E90 Corona Bulb Install.pdf (775.5 KB, 86 views)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-13-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Kat, are you still running toward the light? I have my LEDs on both sides now and they look GREAT!! From pictures you can't always tell just how much better the LEDs will make the coronas look. The change is really striking. I'm uber pleased I did this. The first one was a pain, of course, since I was learning, but the second one was cake.

Have you made a decision?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Kat, are you still running toward the light? I have my LEDs on both sides now and they look GREAT!! From pictures you can't always tell just how much better the LEDs will make the coronas look. The change is really striking. I'm uber pleased I did this. The first one was a pain, of course, since I was learning, but the second one was cake.

Have you made a decision?
Absolutely. You need to post up some pics.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I do my crosswords in pen

Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
Quote:
It's on the to-do list!

Quote:
Absolutely. You need to post up some pics.
+1, looking forward to seeing the difference.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0038.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	275030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0039.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	275031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0040.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	275032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	275033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0042-1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	275034  

Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Red Raider, your angel eyes look great. Refresh me on what exactly you bought?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Red Raider, your angel eyes look great. Refresh me on what exactly you bought?
Thanks, Kat. I'm so impressed with how much more up to date it makes the car look.

Quote:
Kat, have you looked at these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...Q5fAccessories .

I think I'm going to buy a set of these from the same seller - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
These. The first link is to a set that would fit your car.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 AM
2009 335i M sport

Mein Auto: BMW 335i M sport
I put LEDS angel eyes in my car 2 weeks ago. While I love the look, they seem to wash out in the daytime defeating the whole point of DRLs

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-01 14.58.23.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	275106[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW 015.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	275105  

09 335i Msport, Prem, Logic 7, Heated seats, 6 MT.

Last edited by ukboi; 04-18-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukboi View Post
I put LEDS angel eyes in my car 2 weeks ago. While I love the look, they seem to wash out in the daytime defeating the whole point of DRLs

[ATTACH]Attachment 275106[/ATTACH]
What brand did you go with?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
I have the GP thunders, will have them and the BMW-P Grilles installed next month during services.

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 04-18-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
2009 335i M sport

Mein Auto: BMW 335i M sport
Quote:
What brand did you go with?

I went with Weiss Licht. I like them, but they dont have the same brightness of the OEM LEDs in the LCi E92/3 in the daylight.

Name:	BMW 015.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	275131

09 335i Msport, Prem, Logic 7, Heated seats, 6 MT.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
I went with Weiss Licht. I like them, but they dont have the same brightness of the OEM LEDs in the LCi E92/3 in the daylight.

Attachment 275131
Good to know. Thanks - I appreciate the realtime data point.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

[ATTACH]Attachment 275106[/ATTACH]
Mine are the same. I didn't especially go in with the expectation of using my coronas as DRLs, but it would have been nice. But, the newer coronas are specifically designed for this purpose, where as ours were just designed to be just for looks. At least they do look better now.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
So do these aftermarket ones change brightness when going from DRL to full light on? I wonder if that is bulb specific. I know on my OEMs they are MUCH brighter when used just as DRL and dim when I turn the xenons on.

I still like the yellowish hue with the black paint. The OEM LED ones are striking though, to steal tturaiders earlier comment. If a OEM version could cheaply be installed on mine I would consider it, but my guess is I will stick with these until they burn out and then decide at that point whether to go OEM or aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
So do these aftermarket ones change brightness when going from DRL to full light on? I wonder if that is bulb specific. I know on my OEMs they are MUCH brighter when used just as DRL and dim when I turn the xenons on.

I still like the yellowish hue with the black paint. The OEM LED ones are striking though, to steal tturaiders earlier comment. If a OEM version could cheaply be installed on mine I would consider it, but my guess is I will stick with these until they burn out and then decide at that point whether to go OEM or aftermarket.
On my old E90 3er my coronas are always the same level of brightness. I'm going to replace my inner lights/DRLs, but I'm going to have to take the front wheels off to do it and, dang it!!!, our cars don't come with lug wrenches!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
On my old E90 3er my coronas are always the same level of brightness. I'm going to replace my inner lights/DRLs, but I'm going to have to take the front wheels off to do it and, dang it!!!, our cars don't come with lug wrenches!
I can let you borrow the wrench that came with my spare tire kit, if you'd like.

On second thought, that'll likely be the day I get my first flat.

Otherwise it should just be a regular size mm size, I would presume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 04-18-2011 at 01:29 PM.