Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
Post A/C Problem with 2006 330i CPO car

Hi:

I bought this 2006 330i from Hendrick in Charlotte. As such it was an 'aspirational' buy and I still coughed up additional dough and went in for CPO option while I still had other options. Bought in Aug 10.

From the last 1 week my car was intermittently giving ABS/Stability/Flat Tire warnings and in the last 2 days My A/C stopped working. There are no lights on the IHKA unit. Took it to the dealer today. They initially said that the replacement battery I put in from Interstate is probably the culprit, I switched to BMW OEM battery, but the A/C still would not work. The state of other warnings needs to be yet observed.On A/C, the Job Card says

"Vehicle test showed no communication possible with IHKA control unit. Inspected connections and found buttons stuck (problem originally reported by me) and a liquid spilled into IHKA control unit"

I am scheduled to speak to the service manager, but the service person told me that this will not be covered under CPO and I am looking at atleast 600+ dollars, if it is not covered under CPO. From the time I bought the car, nothing spilled and every thing was working properly till 2 days back. The buttons were stuck from the time I took delivery (the sales person actually noticed it as I drove the car out and told me he would take care of it if it gave me any problem and it did not, till 2 days back when the A/C stoppped working!).

BMW USA customer support person basically told me to speak to the dealer and they would not be able to do anything as dealer decision is final.

Just recovering from a battery change (about 350 USD), while I hope my conversation with the service manager is fruiful, I want to be prepared to have a back up. . Could some one advise me :

1. Are there cheaper IHKA unit sthat I can buy from other autoparts? Will they be compatible?
2. Should I get a second opinion? Could this be some fuse blown out or something?
3. Is there a way to repair IHKA unit?
4. I was told only the dealer service center would be able to install the unit as they have to program the unit into the car. Is that true?

Thanks much in advance!

Last edited by emanuscript; 03-16-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
If the buttons were sticking when you bought the car then the dealer did not do a proper CPO inspection - http://resource.bmwusa.com/Pdf_988f0...cd9e87fc2.arox , p. 17 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1277863334 , http://resource.bmwusa.com/ebooks/7a...ce5/index.html . I'd be all over them to cover the repair however they have to, whether it's the CPO warranty or BMW goodwill repair. Don't stop until you get a yes.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-16-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 335
These guys only do bmw and benz, i took my 335i there for brakes since is already out of warranty.
Charlotte star service 704 332 4111
Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Thanks - I have written to the Hendrick folks formally. Got a response they are looking into this. I hope they do the right thing for the customer..
Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: Not a 3 Series
Let us know the final outcome
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM

I finally got the repairs done...Hendrick honored the CPO on their part - Have the car back and the A/C is back on - So, all in all, a happy ending!