BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

5spdTransmission oil

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dlmpsy 
#1 ·
I was sure what fluid was supposed to go into my newly aquired '90 325i after reading all the websites and manuals i could. Even called and talked to a few local Euro car shops in the area.

I have what appears to be the Getrag 260, there is no label on the passenger side bell housing that I can see. It also has the internal wrenching 17mm plugs. Therefore it needs the 80W-90 GL-4 gear oil.

So I drain the fluid out this afternoon. What comes out is Red ATF. Now I'm totally confused. I new the previous owners and the car was dealer serviced its whole life, except for one time at an indy shop, and me doing the brakes, and some minor maintenance.

Found the Dealer Work Order for the 60k Insp II. It shows that the Manual Transmission fluid was changed, and shows ATF on the report. Tranny was serviced again with ATF at 90k at the dealer.

Found Futher reference to 75w-90 GL-5 Gear oil in a dealer invoice, but I believe that might be in reference to the differential.

So anyone have a idea what is supposed to be in this tranny?

Thanks in Advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was sure what fluid was supposed to go into my newly aquired '90 325i after reading all the websites and manuals i could. Even called and talked to a few local Euro car shops in the area.

I have what appears to be the Getrag 260, there is no label on the passenger side bell housing that I can see. It also has the internal wrenching 17mm plugs. Therefore it needs the 80W-90 GL-4 gear oil.

So I drain the fluid out this afternoon. What comes out is Red ATF. Now I'm totally confused. I new the previous owners and the car was dealer serviced its whole life, except for one time at an indy shop, and me doing the brakes, and some minor maintenance.

Found the Dealer Work Order for the 60k Insp II. It shows that the Manual Transmission fluid was changed, and shows ATF on the report. Tranny was serviced again with ATF at 90k at the dealer.

Found Futher reference to 75w-90 GL-5 Gear oil in a dealer invoice, but I believe that might be in reference to the differential.

So anyone have a idea what is supposed to be in this tranny?

Thanks in Advance.
Haynes manual states " gear oil, viscosity SAE 80 to API-GL4 "
I have always used SAE 80 Gear oil...never heard of anyone using ATF fluid!:tsk:

#3 ·
Spoke with a technician at the dealership that has done the service for the last 12 years on it. He said it should have the 80w gear oil in it, but according to the books it is temperature dependant. In colder climates, lighter oils are used. The car was bought new in Missouri, where winters could be quite cold. But now in the Deep South years later where winters rarely get into the teens at night, it probably should be thicker. Dealer probably just replaced what was already in it.

Technician said to try 80w gear oil and see how it does. If I don’t like the way it shifts to drain it and put lighter weight oil in it. But probably I should stay away from the synthetic oil, with 150k miles on the transmission it might not do well.

#4 ·
A lot of people use the Redline MTL oil.

"Red Line's Manual Transmission Lubricant is a 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil (SAE 5W30/10W30 engine oil viscosity) designed for use in manual transmissions and transaxles. It provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting. This lubricant is popular in many BMW transmissions and in most Honda and Acura transaxle applications."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.