Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E30 325is
shopping for radiators

Let's start off by saying I know i should/could replace my radiator with the exact same model.

After a complete flush and refill I can only put 3 gals out of the 6 gallons total allowed for our cars. So now I'm finally going to buy a new radiator. To fix this issue. While at this site I noticed some radiators cool down the transmission oil. They cost a little bit more but this feature should have some benefit to the longevity of my car. My current radiator does not cool down transmission or engine oil.

My question to the forum is would it be a good investment to purchase the radiator that cools transmission oil and then connect that feature down the line? Is it even possible to start cooling my oil WITHOUT spending a lot more money and/or doing serious engine bay work?

The link to the radiators is here. Looks like the oil cooling ones have special plugs on the left side.

http://www.***************/store/?PN...Cooling+System
Ads by Google
Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
What year and model do u have

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM

I have misspoken. I just pulled my radiator out and it indeed has transmission cooling. I did not spot the line directly underneath the radiator hose when I looked the first time. You can closed the thread.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
all automatics have a trans cooler.... this is the reason for most auto trannys to fail... over heat

best of luck... make sure you dont over heat the engine when burping it
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
BMW...riceless

Mein Auto: 1987 325is
6 gallons...? thought it was about 2 gallons.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio4tn View Post
6 gallons...? thought it was about 2 gallons.
yeah. I forgot the # but the last time I refilled I only was able to get 50% of the max. Yesterday I replaced my fan clutch and pulled off a lower engine radiator hose to gain access. A **** load of coolant spilled on the floor because I wasn't expecting it. Since I didn't have the new radiator yet I installed the fan clutch and reinstalled the same radiator. When I refilled this time I was able to put in approximately 1.75 gals including what I drained from the radiator initially. I'm going to drive around today and see if maybe I had it full of fluid the whole time but my fan clutch was causing occasional heating blips.

Last edited by snookay; 04-20-2011 at 06:53 AM.